Drummers!

CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (Lauriej @ Jul 9 2007, 05:02 PM)
Since this is a thread where drummers are supposed to post/showcase their drums so all can see, why don't all the drummers here show us their drums? (but rather they pick bones with other members..) confused13.gif dazed025.gif

trink39.gif

You mean to tell me that there are other drummers out there in the world, besides Neil Peart?

No way....come on!

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jul 11 2007, 03:38 AM)
Yeah, better ones even! (Gasp)

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jul 10 2007, 10:36 PM)
Since this is a thread where drummers are supposed to post/showcase their drums so all can see, why don't all the drummers here show us their drums? (but rather they pick bones with other members..)  confused13.gif dazed025.gif

trink39.gif

Like tas cam? When are you gonna post all your drums you sport? everyone wants to see... pokey.gif trink38.gif

Okay...I'll take the bait....(even though, as some have mentioned...this is a "show pictures of your drumset" thread...) cool.gif

Name 3 drummers better than Neil Ellwood Peart.

(Of course this will be highly subjective, and your opinoin is only that...just "your opinoin". )

Funny how implied sarcasm gets turned around into what others think that person REALLY thinks or feels. I can also name 3 other drummers, but I can't think of one drummer better than Neil....maybe equal in their respective genre of drumming, but not one drummer better in the wonderful world of Rush music (progressive rock, classic rock, melodic heavy rock, etc.)

QUOTE (tascam @ Jul 11 2007, 11:25 AM)

Okay...I'll take the bait....(even though, as some have mentioned...this is a "show pictures of your drumset" thread...) cool.gif

(Of course this will be highly subjective, and your opinoin is only that...just "your opinoin". )

Funny how implied sarcasm gets turned around into what others think that person REALLY thinks or feels. I can also name 3 other drummers, but I can't think of one drummer better than Neil....maybe equal in their respective genre of drumming, but not one drummer better in the wonderful world of Rush music (progressive rock, classic rock, melodic heavy rock, etc.)

Hey buddy.... We're all big Neil fans here, well, I always thought I was a big fan until I met you smile.gif , but even taking subjectivity into consideration, I think we can safely say right off the bat that Mr. Bozzio, Mr. Weckl, and Mr. Smith can all do things that Neil could barely dream of. I'm also fairly certain that Neil would be beyond hard-pressed to throw down anything that these guys couldn't emulate immediately.

I'm sure it could be said that this type of example doesn't make one drummer better than the next, but if doesn't, then these guys aren't better than me either! Besides, Neil has ripped on other drummers for years who weren't able to bring it (numerous comments regarding "less is not more", etc.), so I'm guessing he'd probably agree with my example.

Music IS definately subjective, but it's typically apparent when one player is more technically proficient than the next. Personally, I'd rather listen to Jeff Porcarro do some shuffle groove all day than to hear Bozzio and his million dollars worth of cymbals that sound like crap, but there's no denying who's technically "better". One guy plays grooves that you hope to hear when you get to heaven and the other guys is a freak of nature. I have Neil catagorized with Porcarro.

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jul 10 2007, 09:36 PM)
Since this is a thread where drummers are supposed to post/showcase their drums so all can see, why don't all the drummers here show us their drums? (but rather they pick bones with other members..)  confused13.gif dazed025.gif

trink39.gif

I would if I had a digital camera.

QUOTE (KirkDS @ Jul 11 2007, 02:22 PM)
QUOTE (tascam @ Jul 11 2007, 11:25 AM)

Hey buddy.... We're all big Neil fans here, well, I always thought I was a big fan until I met you smile.gif , but even taking subjectivity into consideration, I think we can safely say right off the bat that Mr. Bozzio, Mr. Weckl, and Mr. Smith can all do things that Neil could barely dream of. I'm also fairly certain that Neil would be beyond hard-pressed to throw down anything that these guys couldn't emulate immediately.

I'm sure it could be said that this type of example doesn't make one drummer better than the next, but if doesn't, then these guys aren't better than me either! Besides, Neil has ripped on other drummers for years who weren't able to bring it (numerous comments regarding "less is not more", etc.), so I'm guessing he'd probably agree with my example.

Music IS definately subjective, but it's typically apparent when one player is more technically proficient than the next. Personally, I'd rather listen to Jeff Porcarro do some shuffle groove all day than to hear Bozzio and his million dollars worth of cymbals that sound like crap, but there's no denying who's technically "better". One guy plays grooves that you hope to hear when you get to heaven and the other guys is a freak of nature. I have Neil catagorized with Porcarro.

Applause, applause, applause!! applaudit.gif 653.gif common001.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I have read this thread a little since I was able to figure out that digital camera and post a photo or two. I will say that Neil is my favorite drummer overall. I have seen other drummers that I think can do some things better than Neil. One I have seen is the master at Quads and 3 others that can do other licks better tan Neil IMHO. Even though it seems some master certain aspects of drumming I like Neil's drumming the best. here is a clip or 2 at youtube to show what I am talking about.

Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta , Steve Gash

The Master At Quads!!!

Derek Roddy

You gotta love this with the metronome and not miss a beat.

Jason Bittner

Edited by robertkincaid96

QUOTE (tascam @ Jul 11 2007, 09:25 AM)

I knew you were being sarcastic but I was baiting you anyway. You know who invented sarcasm don't you... I did. tongue.gif

Danny Carey

Dave Weckl

Vinnie Colaiuta

There are 3.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 11 2007, 06:42 AM)

laugh.gif

The smilie that I posted earlier was only meant to show my amusement at this joke in general and was not meant as a slight against anyone. I basically came in late to this discussion and posted the smilie before I realized what was actually going on. It was a screw up on my part and I meant no offense.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jul 11 2007, 06:08 PM)

Danny Carey
Dave Weckl
Vinnie Colaiuta

There are 3.

You've got to be kidding!! I know...it's your opinoin..but Danny Carey??? confused13.gif

Colaiuta, maybe...Weckl, possibly...but Danny Carey??? confused13.gif

Ok...to put an end to this...at the level of drumming that Neil Peart, Dave Weckl, and Vinnie Colaiuta have acheived...there is no BEST DRUMMER amongst them. Only differences in styles and approach to each drummer's chosen genre of music that they perform best in.

However, having said all that, after 32 years of drumming, listening to other drummers, and comparing every drummer that I've got a chance to listen to....

drum roll, please........................

Neil Peart is by far, the best, most influential, most successful, most prolific, most recognizable and most sucessfully market-able drummer (I don't see a Weckl or a Coliauta Replica Kit available for $30K anywhere!) that has ever graced the face of planet earth. Neil not only excels in his percussive prowess, but also is leaps and bounds above most drummers I know in his charity work and constant financial contribution back to society.

Phewwww!

Holy Shit! Where's the Tylenol?

Neil is by far the most influential drummer but all 3 guys I listed can do things Neil simply cannot. They play at a higher level. Don't get me wrong, Neil is great but he is not the best drummer. He is great and no one has had more impact on me personally as a drummer but I also have ears and understanding.

I would also say Thomas Lang and Horacio Hernandez.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jul 12 2007, 02:52 AM)
QUOTE (tascam @ Jul 11 2007, 09:25 AM)

I knew you were being sarcastic but I was baiting you anyway. You know who invented sarcasm don't you... I did. tongue.gif

Danny Carey

Dave Weckl

Vinnie Colaiuta

There are 3.

Neil is by far the most influential drummer but all 3 guys I listed can do things Neil simply cannot. They play at a higher level. Don't get me wrong, Neil is great but he is not the best drummer. He is great and no one has had more impact on me personally as a drummer but I also have ears and understanding.

I would also say Thomas Lang and Horacio Hernandez.

Right on, CygnusX-1Bk2. applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif boarder.gif

Not that any of this really matters in the grand scheme of life, but I actually gave this some thought and I've come to the opinion that there's definately artistic subjectivity on many levels (comparing drummers within the same genre, comparing a drummer from one genre against a drummer from another, etc.) and it's really complicated to look at it that way. I think the bottom line though is that truly great drummers are versatile. Certain drummers, like our Professor have carved out their own niche and are so unique that it's damn near impossible to catagorize them or compare them to other players.

Guys like Vinnie, Dave, Steve, Omar, Dennis, have such a command of the fundamentals and advanced aspects of drumming (that are applicable across most all genres) that Neil just doesn't have. We all love Neil's playing because of the magicical formula that happens when it mixes with what Ged and Alex are doing, but on his own or in any other situation, he's quite average in my opinion.

The other guys I listed could literally do ANY session or tour with any band of any genre (with the exception of off the deep-end metal, etc. maybe) and more than likely elevate the music to new levels where we know that Neil struggles to just hang on and not cause a train-wreck when playing his suppposedly favorite music (big band jazz).

Neil does some intricate and challenging things, but challenging in an unfamiliar kind of way because his style is so unique and quirky, not because it's incredibly advanced.

I mean, there are literally hundreds of guys (like myself) that have decided for whatever reason to record themselves playing Rush tunes...and although the majority of them suck horribly, many actually resemble the original. I don't think there are many of us posting videos of ourselves playing Festival De Ritmo (or however you spell it) or anything else from any of Dave Weckl's CDs because his stuff requires a much deeper understanding of drumming that only a few drummers possess.

Ok..I'll stop now. No offense meant towards our hero or anyone who thinks he's the greatest.... I'm just typing as I'm thinking here.

Neil and Rush get us all excited about drumming for many reasons, but it's just my opinion that he's simply not one of those elite players.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jul 11 2007, 05:08 PM)
Danny Carey

Danny Carey got everything he plays from Neil.

I'll try and post a picture of my kit soon - I can't locate my camera currently.

Actually Neil is not mentioned on Danny Carey's site as an influence, in a very long paragraph of players, many of which influenced Neil as well. I was surprised that Stewart Copeland was one of his biggest influences. It does make sense given the way Carey accents.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 11 2007, 05:42 AM)

laugh.gif

You two are now off my Christmas card list.

new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

How about this... Neil is the best drummer in Rush!

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 12 2007, 02:47 PM)

laugh.gif

Go watch that DVD I sent you and pay particular attention to Steve Gadd.

laugh.gif

GhostGirl..you now are added to the top of my Christmas Card List! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

(Also...reconsider Jack Aubrey's recanting of his smilie...HE deserves to be put back on your Christmas Card List!!!)

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jul 12 2007, 05:49 PM)
How about this... Neil is the best drummer in Rush!

Laugh it up, fuzzball. pokey.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 12 2007, 05:56 PM)

laugh.gif

Go watch that DVD I sent you and pay particular attention to Steve Gadd.

I'll watch...but I ain't changin' my mind.

*sticks chin out determinedly*