Drummers!

CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (Scain @ Jul 19 2007, 07:05 PM)
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1374/855039446_266a679fa1.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1218/855039390_6054217d43.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1324/855039348_30cebd4f73.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1110/855039334_f62a7e2063.jpg

OK, here they are. Let the flaming begin!

Nice set! What kind of cymbles do you have? They look like paragons but I can't tell.

QUOTE (Scain @ Jul 19 2007, 11:10 PM)
Cymbals are all Zildjian, except for the 20in Wuhan. 8in x2 splashes, 10in splash, 20in crash, 18in crash, 16in x2 crashes, 22in ride, 13in hi-hats, 14in X-hats, 18in and 20in chinas.

Here's from the above description.

Maybe he'll want them autographed too, Scain! cool.gif

Then, before you know it...people will start selling fake Scain autographs on eBay...which others on this site will determine as rip-offs, and the world will continue turning... wink.gif

Edited by tascam

QUOTE (tascam @ Jul 21 2007, 07:14 PM)
Maybe he'll want them autographed too, Scain!  cool.gif

Then, before you know it...people will start selling fake Scain autographs on eBay...which others on this site will determine as rip-offs, and the world will continue turning...  wink.gif

Tascam, that's my whole plan! I'm actualy going to fake my own signature, then sell them as real ones on Ebay. That way I can come back later and disclaim them as fake and then sell the real autograghed photos for a much inflated price.

And the world will continue turning........... new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

By the way, didn't I tell you NEVER to speak of my plans for world domination?! Curses.......foiled again.

Edited by Scain

Guys - I'm in the market for some new drums and I'm having a very difficult time.

I've played the same Pearl MLX kit since the mid-80's (all the harware, mounts, etc. are new and they look like a current kit...like new) and I never thought I'd be able to justify a new kit since my 15 minutes has come and gone, but suddenly I find myself gigging again and able to justify drums (in my warped mind anyway) again!

I love Pearl drums. The thought of getting a high-end Masterworks kit built to my exact specifications is a dream, but those Yamaha Maple Customs are incredible as well.

I have to say that I've played on about 12 DW kits recently and I'm not impressed in the least. I keep thinking there must be something wrong with my ears because I'm supposed to like them, but so far I haven't come across a DW kit (even with me re-tuning) that sounds half-way decent. I've played on some amazing Yamaha kits, but the problem is that nobody carries the high-end Pearl stuff. Since I have high-end Pearl stuff, I know what to expect, but it would be nice to play on the newer stuff in the store.

Oh well... I guess I'm just looking for some opinions on current high-end drums from any of you with educated opinions smile.gif

Tascam - Please don't take my dissapointment with DW personally smile.gif

Edited by KirkDS

DW...Schmee W!

Go with whatever your ears (and eyes too) tell you Kirk!

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. cool.gif

I am not a fan of the Pearl stuff. They sound boxy to me. You can't go wrong with Gretsch. I also like the Yamaha and the upper Tama lines.

QUOTE (tascam @ Jul 24 2007, 02:42 PM)
DW...Schmee W!

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. cool.gif

hehe...

Well, to this point, I haven't actually chosen not to decide, but I definately haven't decided. Does that count? smile.gif

Cygnus - Boxy? Aw man... Don't be hatin' on Pearl like that! smile.gif

I compare my MLX drums to your typical Yamaha Maple.

I guess it depends on your budget... The drummers in my Rush band used Tama Starclassics and Pearl reference series. Both great sounding kits, though very expensive. The Pearl reference series are interesting because the wood selection changes depending on the drum size in order to get the best desired sound. Of course, that is reflected in the price, I think a 7-piece kit will run well over $4K.

The drummer in my original band has 2 kits - an older Mapex and a newer Sonor. Both sound great, especially the Sonor. Yamaha offer great value for the money, I thought their "Stage Custom" series sounded quite well for the price. I am also curious to hear the new Tama Superstars, they are much less expensive than the original ones were, but I don't know how they compare for sound. I think Birch kits sound the best.

QUOTE (KirkDS @ Jul 24 2007, 01:07 PM)
QUOTE (tascam @ Jul 24 2007, 02:42 PM)
DW...Schmee W!

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.  cool.gif

hehe...

Well, to this point, I haven't actually chosen not to decide, but I definately haven't decided. Does that count? smile.gif

Cygnus - Boxy? Aw man... Don't be hatin' on Pearl like that! smile.gif

I compare my MLX drums to your typical Yamaha Maple.

No hating.

I saw Dennis Chambers a few months back at Yoshi's in Oakland. I was so looking forward to it. He played really well but his drums just did not sing. His snare drum in particular. He has been a Pearl guy for a while.

Oh, I forgot to mention Sonor. They have some nice sounding kits as well.

I'm also not a big Pearl fan, although I play a custom Pearl snare (but snares don't count as most drummers use a snare that is not the make of the set they play).

Anyhow, I obviously love my DW's but before them all I played was Yamaha and Sonar.

Kirk, have you really played 12 DW kits and they all sounded bad? That's really unfortunate.

Buy what sounds good to you, that's all that really matters.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jul 25 2007, 11:41 AM)
I'm also not a big Pearl fan, although I play a custom Pearl snare (but snares don't count as most drummers use a snare that is not the make of the set they play).
Anyhow, I obviously love my DW's but before them all I played was Yamaha and Sonar.

Kirk, have you really played 12 DW kits and they all sounded bad? That's really unfortunate.

Buy what sounds good to you, that's all that really matters.

Thanks for the feeback guys...

I'm planning on my next kit being "THE" kit for me, so I want it to be perfect and special, blah, blah, blah, so I'm really trying hard to figure out what's out there and which drums sound the best, etc. without thinking about $$. I figure I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I think I'm starting to see that there are different opinions on what a "good" drum sound is. To me, it's that warm, resonant sound of maple Yamahas with just the right amount of attack (my Pearls have this as well) like you'd hear if you listened to Weckl or Vinnie C. Gavin Harrison's Sonors are also what I'd consider to be the "perfect" drum sound.

I've played on some Pearl Reference drums and it was all attack with no warmth (probably due to the birch or mahagony plys). The DWs I've played just had this ringy sound that I can't describe. I'm sure if I got these home and experimented with heads, etc., I could get them sounding right....I mean, everyone loves them for some reason.

I think in the end I'm going to special order some Pearl Masterworks (their custom drum line) with your basic 6 ply maple shells, but with a custom finish, gold hardware, and specify the exact drum sizes I want. I've always loved Pearl drums and they've been good to me smile.gif , so why change now I guess. I like the thought of being a Yamaha cat smile.gif , but you really have to bring it if you're sitting behind Yamahas!

Here are some purty Pearl drums -

Pearl pics

Dude you can play, I have heard you. Your old set sounded good on some of those recordings, so stick with what you know. Pearl is probably the right choice for you (even though the Yam's are better) wink.gif .

I totally understand what you mean about "find the best kit out there regardless of the cost". I had that approach when I ordered my DW's back in 1996 and knew right then that those would be the last drums I ever bought. Granted they were $5200, but they have also been the most solid set I have ever worked with. Not one problem in 11 years, 1000's of gigs and hard travel around the planet. Not even a loose nut anywhere on the set...amazing!

My point is "quality things last" but there is a price for this.

A friend of mine in Reno just had a Gretsch kit built that cost him $6-$7k with 20" and 22" bass drums. I haven't seen it yet but I heard it's a beauty. If cost is no problem then find what sounds good to you and go for it.

QUOTE (KirkDS @ Jul 24 2007, 03:04 PM)
Guys - I'm in the market for some new drums and I'm having a very difficult time.
I've played the same Pearl MLX kit since the mid-80's (all the harware, mounts, etc. are new and they look like a current kit...like new) and I never thought I'd be able to justify a new kit since my 15 minutes has come and gone, but suddenly I find myself gigging again and able to justify drums (in my warped mind anyway) again!

I love Pearl drums. The thought of getting a high-end Masterworks kit built to my exact specifications is a dream, but those Yamaha Maple Customs are incredible as well.
I have to say that I've played on about 12 DW kits recently and I'm not impressed in the least. I keep thinking there must be something wrong with my ears because I'm supposed to like them, but so far I haven't come across a DW kit (even with me re-tuning) that sounds half-way decent. I've played on some amazing Yamaha kits, but the problem is that nobody carries the high-end Pearl stuff. Since I have high-end Pearl stuff, I know what to expect, but it would be nice to play on the newer stuff in the store.

Oh well... I guess I'm just looking for some opinions on current high-end drums from any of you with educated opinions smile.gif

Really, that many DW's & nothing? Funny thing is, I have the smae problem for Yamaha's....The 12" toms have never tuned up well with the rest of any kit. Pearl's are ok for me. I wasn't as impressed with the higher end as the Session maple kits....

Tama sounded good as well but I couldn't stand any of the newer Ludwigs nor the Slingerlands or Sonors. i came in skeptical against DW as I only first knew of them as a hardware company (and a damn good one at that!) but Neil's choice for the Ludwigs lost my confidence in Neil's choices for kits. But I found that I could tune up any DW in a flash & every single person that heard them, commented on how beautiful they sounded.....Still, the Yam's were good, if you took out the 12" tom....

[i can't figure out how to post this picture like you guys do.]

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?...mageID=13714089

Here's my kit. It's a Ludwig Rocker, which is actually no longer made.

Toms: 12", 13", and 16"

Bassdrum: 22"

Snare: 5.5x14" Arbiter AT snare, serial number 75! smile.gif

Remo Rototoms: 6", 8", and 10"

Crashes: K Zildjian Dark Crash Thin, 17" and 18"

Splash: 8" Paiste Signature

Hihats: 14" Paragons

Ride: 22" Paragon

China Type: Unidentified 16" generic crash cymbal that is bent up and cracked. This is getting replaced soon with something even more weird, but better sounding.

Edited by thebernreuter

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jul 26 2007, 07:31 PM)

I have to say that I've played on about 12 DW kits recently and I'm not impressed in the least.  I keep thinking there must be something wrong with my ears because I'm supposed to like them, but so far I haven't come across a DW kit (even with me re-tuning) that sounds half-way decent.  I've played on some amazing Yamaha kits, but the problem is that nobody carries the high-end Pearl stuff.  Since I have high-end Pearl stuff, I know what to expect, but it would be nice to play on the newer stuff in the store.

Oh well...  I guess I'm just looking for some opinions on current high-end drums from any of you with educated opinions smile.gif

Really, that many DW's & nothing? Funny thing is, I have the smae problem for Yamaha's....The 12" toms have never tuned up well with the rest of any kit. Pearl's are ok for me. I wasn't as impressed with the higher end as the Session maple kits....

Tama sounded good as well but I couldn't stand any of the newer Ludwigs nor the Slingerlands or Sonors. i came in skeptical against DW as I only first knew of them as a hardware company (and a damn good one at that!) but Neil's choice for the Ludwigs lost my confidence in Neil's choices for kits. But I found that I could tune up any DW in a flash & every single person that heard them, commented on how beautiful they sounded.....Still, the Yam's were good, if you took out the 12" tom....

Man, this is the sort of thing I keep hearing from everyone that honestly knows what they're talking about...regarding the DWs. I'm not going to give up on them yet. Maybe I'll see if I can talk someone into letting me put some coated ambasadors on a couple of toms and just generally have my way with them for a little while.

I'm pretty far down the Pearl path at this point and I'm pretty excited about it, but I want to make sure I have the correct opinion on some of these other drums.

Yeah, I like the Tama and Yamaha stuff too, but can't really see myself playing those drums for some reason. It's weird...

I spent a lot of time researching stuff on www.massmusic.net last night...where you can special order Pearl drums and the shipping is free. Tons of options and possibilities regarding drum sizes, snares, hardware color, wood type/thickness, etc.

QUOTE (KirkDS @ Jul 27 2007, 08:10 AM)

I have to say that I've played on about 12 DW kits recently and I'm not impressed in the least.  I keep thinking there must be something wrong with my ears because I'm supposed to like them, but so far I haven't come across a DW kit (even with me re-tuning) that sounds half-way decent.  I've played on some amazing Yamaha kits, but the problem is that nobody carries the high-end Pearl stuff.  Since I have high-end Pearl stuff, I know what to expect, but it would be nice to play on the newer stuff in the store.

Oh well...  I guess I'm just looking for some opinions on current high-end drums from any of you with educated opinions smile.gif

Man, this is the sort of thing I keep hearing from everyone that honestly knows what they're talking about...regarding the DWs. I'm not going to give up on them yet. Maybe I'll see if I can talk someone into letting me put some coated ambasadors on a couple of toms and just generally have my way with them for a little while.

I'm pretty far down the Pearl path at this point and I'm pretty excited about it, but I want to make sure I have the correct opinion on some of these other drums.

Yeah, I like the Tama and Yamaha stuff too, but can't really see myself playing those drums for some reason. It's weird...

I spent a lot of time researching stuff on www.massmusic.net last night...where you can special order Pearl drums and the shipping is free. Tons of options and possibilities regarding drum sizes, snares, hardware color, wood type/thickness, etc.

I'm not sure the heads will be just the adjustment. The only other thing I can see is someone not being able to tune a drum. DW makes soooo easy with the True Pitch tension rods (33% more thread than any other brand).

DW makes their drums with only 100% perfect maple & birch. The rest is sent down to PDP (who, in return, takes 95% perfect & better). They sell the rest of the maple to anyone else who wants to buy.

Here' my issue with ALL other brands. There are 3 major rims made: triple flanged (which, by design, allows a drums to become that BIG FAT WET sound), wood (old style sound with a little bit of a focused sound), die cast (a VERY focused sound that makes your eyes blink when you do a rim shot on a snare!). First, toms should have that wet sound yet every major manufacturer puts die cast on the toms. (the reason is to prevent slippage of tension rods & keeps the drum in tune). YET, they seem to keep putting triple flanged on snares!! *ick*

DW puts triple flanged on their toms due to the True Pitch tension rods. It's easier to tune & stays in tune much longer. They also match pitches for drums allowing a more in tune drumset.

I like other brands as well but as soon as I started putting DW drums together & setting them up, tuning them, etc...I can't really look at other brands in the same fashion.....

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jul 27 2007, 08:13 AM)
QUOTE (KirkDS @ Jul 27 2007, 08:10 AM)

I'm not sure the heads will be just the adjustment. The only other thing I can see is someone not being able to tune a drum. DW makes soooo easy with the True Pitch tension rods (33% more thread than any other brand).

DW makes their drums with only 100% perfect maple & birch. The rest is sent down to PDP (who, in return, takes 95% perfect & better). They sell the rest of the maple to anyone else who wants to buy.

Here' my issue with ALL other brands. There are 3 major rims made: triple flanged (which, by design, allows a drums to become that BIG FAT WET sound), wood (old style sound with a little bit of a focused sound), die cast (a VERY focused sound that makes your eyes blink when you do a rim shot on a snare!). First, toms should have that wet sound yet every major manufacturer puts die cast on the toms. (the reason is to prevent slippage of tension rods & keeps the drum in tune). YET, they seem to keep putting triple flanged on snares!! *ick*

DW puts triple flanged on their toms due to the True Pitch tension rods. It's easier to tune & stays in tune much longer. They also match pitches for drums allowing a more in tune drumset.

I like other brands as well but as soon as I started putting DW drums together & setting them up, tuning them, etc...I can't really look at other brands in the same fashion.....

Thanks for that info. Really appreciate it. I guess it's true that at the end of the day, everyone is using top-notch maple, similar hardware, and similar heads, so it would seem that tuning would be the biggest factor.

Tuning has never been one of my better talents, but I've always had good luck getting drums to sound nice.

There's a Guitar Center about 10 minutes from where I work, so I think I may head over there today during lunch and see if I can do some experimenting.