Top 5 Rush Lyrics

Good,bad,andrush

Yeah, there's a top five rush songs going around...

but i wanted to see what you guys think are the top five songs lyrically...

Here's my take:

Hemispheres (This song has made me realize you can't have just love or just logic...you gotta have both.)

The Pass (especially the "no hero in your tragedy...christ what have you done" part.)

Anagram (not only is every line in the song an anagram, but the song actually makes sense when analyzed carefully; a very clever song.)

The Fountain Of Lamneth (this is a metaphor for the life of Man through the form of an epic song...what else do I need to say?)

Natural Science (art as expression...not as market campaign. no other words can describe Rush better.)

I like most of Neil's lyrics, especially from the 80's. Here's my top 5:

Mission (especially the first 2 verses)

Marathon (the chorus is my favorite)

Subdivisions (opinions all provided, the future pre-decided... )

The Pass (And now you're trembling on a rocky ledge....)

2112 (an epic story)

Oh, gosh.. only five? But I love just about every word he writes.

In no particular order:

1. BU2B :: I have fallen so hard for this song. Lyrically, I like it better than almost anything off of S&A and maybe Vapor Trails, too. It's about how you have to believe what you think is true instead of going solely off of what you've been "brought up to believe".

2. Closer to the Heart :: The lyrics are a little more abstract here, but again they're so poetic and beautiful. ♥

3. Mission :: Fame.. the pursuit of one's dreams... the payoff of it all.. Must I say more? And the first few lines are absolutely magnificent.

4. Cygnus X-1 :: I'm going to cheat and throw in both parts because I can. In Book I, the description of Cygnus X-1 (the black hole itself, anyways) is nothing short of literary genius. He's always been pretty amazing at throwing in literary allusions and the like (I was proud of myself for catching the "Odyssey" reference) not to mention it transitioned into the rest of the story. Besides, Greek mythology for the win! Kind of.. bizarre.. a guy getting sucked into a black hole and ending up in Olympus.. but epic nonetheless.

5. 2112 :: Words cannot describe this song. It is just amazing. It's a great story, it's poetically very appealing, and.. I can't, I just can't. If I try to describe my feelings for this I will die in the process.

Anagram (There is no safe seat at the feast, take your best stab at the beast - reasoning is partly insane, image: just an eyeless game)

Analog Kid (The whole song. Imagery of the dreamer in the grass flashes in my head as I listen)

Between the Wheels (Stuck between a rock and a hard place. The chorus)

Bravado (and then the music stops! ...There's only the sound of the rain.)

The Fountain of Lamneth (Great story. My way of life is easy, and simple are my needs. Another glass of wine, drink it with eyes that shine. I guess it doesn't matter.)

That's a toughie! For me, it may change depending on how I feel. For example, I am looking forward to a trip to Hawai'i next week so I have been drawn to..

High Water: I always feel that elation when I first enter the water. This song really speaks to me regarding that.

Tai Shan: Like Neil, I try to immerse myself in the place I'm visiting. Hawai'i has always sang to me since my first visit in 1981.

Bravado: I've had a particularly difficult 18 months (deaths in the family, accidents, etc.) and when I first heard this song - I admit that I hadn't heard RTB until recently - it was like having them extend a hand to help me up.

Hemispheres: One reason I love Prog is it likes to tell stories. I'm a sucker for a good myth and this is one.

The Pass: As most of you have said, it is just so powerful. Brilliant.

and one line from Presto that gives me chills: "I am made from the dust of the stars and the oceans flow in my veins..." Man! yes.gif

Subdivisions

"...growing up it all seems so one-sided - opinions all provided, the future pre-decided, detached and subdivided in the mass production zone - nowhere is the dreamer or the misfit so alone..."

Ghost Rider

"...carry all those phantoms through bitter wind and stormy skies - from the desert to the mountain - from the lowest low to the highest high, like a ghost rider..."

Chain Lightning

"...sun dogs fire on the horizon, meteor rain stars across the night - this moment may be brief but it can be so bright - reflected in another source of light - when the moment dies the spark still flies, reflected in another pair of eyes..."

Peaceable Kingdom

"...all this time we're hoping and praying we all might learn, while a billion other teachers are teaching them how to burn..."

Open Secrets

"...I never meant what you're thinking - that's not what I meant at all..."

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Nov 29 2010, 07:42 AM)

Peaceable Kingdom
"...all this time we're hoping and praying we all might learn, while a billion other teachers are teaching them how to burn..."

Peaceable Kingdom & Turn the Page - great (err, politcal) songs by them!

Freewill

Natural Science

The Spirit of Radio

Marathon

Grand Designs

Others: Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, Vital Signs, Available Light, Limelight, 2112, Fountain of Lamneth, Territories, the entire Grace Under Pressure & Vapor Trails albums, New World Man, Entre Nous, etc.

- Far Cry - "It's a far cry from the world we thought we'd inherit..."

-Red Sector A - Everytime I listen to this song I get a little emotional. I've read a few war novels and this song is a great testament to those who suffered in all wars to date.

-Peaceable Kingdom - its a pity about the overall outcome of Vapor Trails, but I do believe this is some of Neil's best work, coming out of such emotional trauma and with much going on in the world at that time (i.e. 9/11). Not too many political pieces in the Rush catalog, but this goes to show how versatile Neil is as a lyricist.

-Subdivisions - for reasons mentioned by others above.

-Red Barchetta - Such a great piece, especially if you're a motorhead.

Losing It - i cant listen to it alot but it is so true, i guess its why i cant hold a relationship down,, im so busy trying to be what i have always wanted to be, in the process i seem to lose sig others

Marathon- Never give up, and it reminds me of my father

Time Stand Still= anyone feel like time is just flying by

Subdivisions- i wish i would have known about this song when i was in high school, class of 97, a song about the misfits like me

Coldfire- this fantasy land 1022.gif

Witch hunt - more relevant now than 30 years ago.

Nobodys hero - fantastic, gets me every time.

Natural science -absolute poetry.

Anagram - cleverest lyrics ever.

2112 - a novel in song form brilliant.

These are not in any particular order I just love them.

In college I had the priviledge of writing a term paper dealing with Rush lyrics for my Rock and Roll Literature class. I think most student's papers were in the 3-5 page range. Mine was over 20.

It's been many moons since college but if I recall, the lyrics that inspired me for the paper included:

Losing It

Middletown Dreams

2112 (definately had to write about the Ayn Rand/Anthem reference)

The Fountain Of Lamneth

Natural Science (I love the 'art as expression, not as market campaigns' line)

Nobody's Hero

Archived