Rush track for my wedding

youngsod

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had "Broon's Bane" and "Hope" played during my wedding dinner. They were mixed with other songs of the jazz and Sinatra persuasion. I was happy. My two best friends who recognized the songs were happy. And, more importantly, my wife was happy because it didn't disrupt anything during "her" evening.

How about 'In The Mood' new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I couldn't possibly pick a song as I don't know you or your bride.

At my reception, my Best Man got on stage and played a live version of 'Return Of The Prince'

Granted permission? Hell yes. I know my place in this wedding juggernaut To be quite fair though, I did get to choose Philip Glass's Metamorphosis One for the signing the register music (one for us BSG fans) and the table names are moons of the solar system. I'm sure I was allowed something else mind...

There has to be Rush in the intermission music, it wouldn't be me without it. There's other stuff which means a lot to me - The Smiths, The Stone Roses and New Young Pony Club, but I simply cannot miss out the trio who remain, 24 years after I first hear them, my favourite band. Besides I'm known amongst my chums as an unrepentant Rush fan and I don't like to disappoint! Plus it must me said that Emma's taste in music is terrible, and I need to balance that out.

It's just for some reason everything I think of is just not quite right: Natural Science for example I utterly love but I can't justify 9 odd minutes, Subdivisions just doesn't fit at a wedding alas and 2112 may have me grinning like the happiest of bunnies but isn't going to go down well at a posh wedding in Cambridge.

I like the Entre Nous suggestion, and also Time Stand Still. Hold Your Fire was the first Rush album that came out after I discovered them ( I remember constantly visiting the record shop to see if it had been released in the UK yet).

Keep the suggestions coming, the more eclectic the better.

I should just say sod it and play Der Trommler...

I agree with the choices of Entre Nous and Time Stand Still. The instrumentals are a good choice, too. If I were you, I'd listen to all the albums and see if anything jumps out at you. It's a good excuse to do that, anyway.... wink.gif

BTW, welcome to the Board and congratulations!

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Nov 3 2010, 06:18 PM)
Whatever you do, do NOT play Ghost of a Chance. Regardless of what many people here, for some reason, seem to believe, it is NOT a love song. Well, not in the traditional sense, anyway.

The song culminates on the idea of finding love despite the odds against it. While it may not be a "love song", it seems appropriate for a person with that point of view.

If I were not a believer, this song would be close to my heart and my wife would know why- she would understand its meaning and why I would choose for it be played at our reception.

QUOTE (Bone Roller @ Nov 3 2010, 08:16 PM)
If you're trying to convey a feeling or emotion, how about Closer to the Heart or Making Memories?

If you just want to rock out because you can, i'd put on Anthem, grab an air guitar and keep a safe distance from the cake cuz something's likely to get smashed.

"Closer to the Heart" is NOT a love song, although many people erronesouly think it is.

:-)

The alternative to a 'love song' is you go for the humorous angle.

So if it isn't your first marriage you could go for 'Here Again'.

As the bride walks down the aisle you could play 'Countdown'

If the bridesmaid takes your fancy you could go for the 'The Pass'

If you have got a cd player in the bridal suite you could play 'Face Up'

A definite no-no is "Leave that thing alone'

The above is meant to be tongue in cheek. I hope you have a great wedding.

QUOTE (trigger @ Nov 4 2010, 07:23 AM)
If you have got a cd player in the bridal suite you could play 'Face Up'

"Beneath Between and Behind"

what about "Madrigal"? Which, ironically, was something played to the king or queen of England while he or she had dinner.

Take it from a survivor from an ugly, vicious divorce....

'granted permission'???

Um... not to rain on your parade but that smacks of a control freak.

If you still go through with it, play RESIST.... it'll send a clear message.

And start putting your foot down. Marriage can only work if it's a partnership, and no partnership I know of 'grants permission' for anything.

QUOTE (Atomic @ Nov 4 2010, 08:27 AM)
Take it from a survivor from an ugly, vicious divorce....

'granted permission'???

Um... not to rain on your parade but that smacks of a control freak.

If you still go through with it, play RESIST.... it'll send a clear message.

And start putting your foot down. Marriage can only work if it's a partnership, and no partnership I know of 'grants permission' for anything.

Take it from a happily married man of 11 years, if something means more to her than it does you, then yes, you need "permission".

For most couples, how a wedding goes down is WAY more important to the woman than it is the man. If this isn't the case for you, then by all means put your foot down. But I have no problem allowing my wishes to take a backseat to my wife's when something is CLEARLY more important to her than it is to me. This is one of the first tings I learned when I got married when we argued about purchasing a sofa for an hour. At the end of the day- the pattern and style of the sofa wasn't that important to me beyond a few key things (as in, I'm not going to be cool with a Pink sofa), but I was arguing every little detail just to have my voice heard. I have since learned that kind of stuff just let it go and let her decorate the room how she wants (within reason)- but when it comes to the TV and the electronic components, that's MY deal.

My wife lets me take ownership over the things that are clearly important to me, she takes ownership over the stuff important to her, and we compromise when it's an area we are both passionate about. And you better believe, she would need "permission" from me before she goes off an replaces our speakers, TV, etc. but if she buys a new couch that isn't flagrantly out of bounds, I'm not going to say a word.

My wedding reception was all country music, and you know what- I don't think I even heard it.

I agree (and I was married for 10 years, fwiw).

Maybe it was a poorly chosen sentance to put here, but it's not so much asking permission as saying 'it's really important to me to have at least ONE Rush song played at OUR wedding.'

Yes, the wedding is mostly about the bride, but it is a joint union and while most guys don't give a rat's about the details, it's the sublties that are setting the foundation for the rest of the marriage.

At my wedding, I didn't care about much of the event planning beyond insisting that I wear a kilt to celebrate my heritage (it was a very italian wedding), that I select the photographer (since I used to shoot professionally) and that we work together on the music setlist.

But I still say Resist is a good wedding song for a groom to select. wink.gif

I think "asking permission" is often a joking reference anyway, much like many guys refer to their wives as "the boss". Usually "permission" just means it's something important to her, but you are going to put your little stamp on something. Either way, using these joking terms is a tacit implication that it isn't true.

I wasn't meaning to imply any kind of superiority at an 11 year marriage, btw (ask me again in 30 years!)- just contrasting your opening statement with mine. My parents were married for almost 30 years before getting divorced sad.gif

Your original point is well made:, you have to work together in EVERYTHING and neither partner should feel marginalized. It's a difficult balance, though, because it's so easy for arguments to erupt out of the principle of "being heard" just as easy as it is for one person to subjugate the other.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Nov 4 2010, 10:21 AM)
I think "asking permission" is often a joking reference anyway, much like many guys refer to their wives as "the boss". Usually "permission" just means it's something important to her, but you are going to put your little stamp on something. Either way, using these joking terms is a tacit implication that it isn't true.

I wasn't meaning to imply any kind of superiority at an 11 year marriage, btw (ask me again in 30 years!)- just contrasting your opening statement with mine. My parents were married for almost 30 years before getting divorced sad.gif

Your original point is well made:, you have to work together in EVERYTHING and neither partner should feel marginalized. It's a difficult balance, though, because it's so easy for arguments to erupt out of the principle of "being heard" just as easy as it is for one person to subjugate the other.

Agree completely.

It took 10 years and a failed marriage for me to realize that your spouse should be willing to compromise her wants as much as you are willing to compromise your wants, for the greater good of the union. It's got to be the toughest thing to do in the world... but my fiance is amazing and supports me and my likes as much as I support her and her likes.

I have to smile at this thread, because as one of the rare Rush girls, it is I who would have to hold back on the Rush-heavy wedding I would like if BF ever asked me to marry him (unlikely). Well, there would be a few exceptions...I'm going down the aisle to Queen's Wedding March from Flash Gordon, for one tongue.gif

I think BF and I could come to a half and half compromise, but it's my mother who would probably have veto power over my rock opera...there needs to be compromise between wife and husband, but not parents and children, hahaha!

QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Nov 3 2010, 10:27 AM)
bekloppt.gif Welcome to TRF and congratulations on your wedding trink39.gif

How about Entre Nous?

done. good call!

welcome also. trink39.gif

What have you forum-ites done without me here??? Listen, man, the answer to this question is so OBVIOUS. I can't believe no one said it:

"In The End"

1) awesome mellow tune

2) about two people being together forever (at least that was always my take ...)

3) not long

You can thank me either now or later. I'll be here all week. Try the veal ...

QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Nov 3 2010, 11:27 AM)
bekloppt.gif Welcome to TRF and congratulations on your wedding trink39.gif

How about Entre Nous?

We used Entre Nous during the introduction of our wedding party. 1022.gif

Ghost of a Chance would be another fine wedding song.

Archived