Alex's guitar tech...

Phantom

QUOTE (GuitarPlyr01 @ Nov 1 2010, 10:54 AM)
He was having problems with breaking strings. Especially on the Fenders during "Vital Signs".

A brand new string breaks the first time it's used, THAT's the tech's fault.

In defense of the Tech, Restringing a top loading (as in; the strings don't go through the guitar's body) Fender Telecaster is a pain in the ass. Even an experienced technician or player is gonna break a string with that particular guitar. It's just the end result of a frustratingly difficult bridge design.

I just wish they'd get the bugs worked out no matter whose fault it is. I've seen 2.gif many, many times and Alex usually has problems. I get terribly uncomfortable when this happens. He gets so mad. It spoils the moment for me.

QUOTE (Wordy_McWordword @ Nov 1 2010, 07:14 PM)
They've used pyros before and he didn't have an issue though. Just the Helsinki incident that was forementioned.

The difference then was, that the Amp heads were sat ontop of the Speakers, with maybe a 1ft patch cord between them. This time the amp heads were off stage, with maybe 30ft of cable between them and the speakers.

Just sayin'... EMP's can only come from nuclear explosions. There are however 'shock waves' from stage pyro, but to cause electrical issues they would have to be very large (way larger than they use). I have been shooting stage pyro for years and only once has it ever caused an instrument to malfunction, a keyboard. And yes, that time was an extra large "8 shot" concussion.

QUOTE (Ted Barchetta @ Nov 12 2010, 03:09 AM)
QUOTE (GuitarPlyr01 @ Nov 1 2010, 10:54 AM)
He was having problems with breaking strings.  Especially on the Fenders during "Vital Signs".

A brand new string breaks the first time it's used, THAT's the tech's fault.

In defense of the Tech, Restringing a top loading (as in; the strings don't go through the guitar's body) Fender Telecaster is a pain in the ass. Even an experienced technician or player is gonna break a string with that particular guitar. It's just the end result of a frustratingly difficult bridge design.

Oh I know, I own a Fender Tele.

Replacing Strings is a pain. Replacing them on my other 3 Les Paul's is cake, but that has a much better bridge to deal with, I know.

But I don't even have the problems Al had. I can go 2 or 3 months with the same strings on mine, playing every day.

At the 07/05 Chicago show I noticed no problems on Alex's end. However I did notice some issues firstly with Geddy's keys (I believe Marathon was the song), some of the keyboard "moments" just didn't happen or weren't loud enough to be noticed. Next problem I saw was during Neil's solo, during the e-kit portion, nothing was coming out of the cymbal (or so it seemed to me). It was kind of disappointing to see Neil hitting away at the crash and not hearing every intricacy he wanted to include.

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Nov 19 2010, 08:25 PM)
That's exactly why he needs a tech that will work just for him and not with other bands.

And what is the guy supposed to do when Rush are not touring?

Sign on the dole queue?

I think it's highly unlikely Rush's management would want to pay the guy a retainer for him to sit idle for two or three years (or more) at a time, don't you?

QUOTE (Fridge @ Nov 24 2010, 05:04 AM)
QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Nov 19 2010, 08:25 PM)
That's exactly why he needs a tech that will work just for him and not with other bands.

And what is the guy supposed to do when Rush are not touring?

Sign on the dole queue?

I think it's highly unlikely Rush's management would want to pay the guy a retainer for him to sit idle for two or three years (or more) at a time, don't you?

I think Neil should give the dole queue a try for a little bit of life experience and to help him with his interpersonal relationships...

biggrin.gif

Here is a piece done recently on Alex Lifeson's guitar tech Scott.

From The Canadian Music Scene:

Scott Appleton - Alex Lifeson's Guitar Tech

I sent Scott this article and this was his reply:

"As for the forum posts, I find that 99% of people's posts are based upon conjecture and misinformation, so I pay no attention to them. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but the only opinion that means anything to me is the one of the guy holding the guitar."

Edited by RushFanForever

The concerts happen in the largest arena of the city they play in. They nearly sell out every concert. The guitar tech had better be good or Rush is going to get a bad reputation for live concerts fast.