Musical Thanksgiving

MMCXII

ok there's a thread for musical regrets... now lets hear the musical events/experiences you're grateful for.

mine would be getting to see two bands, both stadium tours back in '92, that I thought I'd never get a chance to see. pink floyd and the stones!

Funny you should make this thread now. I was just thinking yesterday, while watching a bit of VH-1, that I'm grateful that none of my fave bands/artists are 'one hit wonders'! laugh.gif

I'm also grateful for getting to see Rush, Steve Hackett, Jethro Tull and Fish. wub.gif

QUOTE (Jaye @ Oct 13 2010, 04:53 AM)
Funny you should make this thread now. I was just thinking yesterday, while watching a bit of VH-1, that I'm grateful that none of my fave bands/artists are 'one hit wonders'! laugh.gif

Would they be your favorites if they were one hit wonders? confused13.gif

I'm grateful for getting to see Rush, Emerson and Lake, and Sammy Hagar.

Seeing RUSH in 1981 on the Moving Pictures tour. It turned me from a casual fan into a raving fanatic. To this day, I still hold that as the best concert I've ever seen!!

I'm also very glad that I saw Porcupine Tree in Kansas City, October 2007. Sparked my fanaticism for PT.

These are the only two concerts to ever "convert" me. All other live shows I've attended, I went away with the same appreciation of the bands that I had when I went in.

I got to hang out with

Dimebag Darrell

John Entwistle

Eric Carr

Dio

Before they passed away rose.gif

QUOTE (tjtull @ Oct 13 2010, 07:48 AM)
Seeing RUSH in 1981 on the Moving Pictures tour. It turned me from a casual fan into a raving fanatic. To this day, I still hold that as the best concert I've ever seen!!

I'm also very glad that I saw Porcupine Tree in Kansas City, October 2007. Sparked my fanaticism for PT.

These are the only two concerts to ever "convert" me. All other live shows I've attended, I went away with the same appreciation of the bands that I had when I went in.

My first concert was Rush in 1981 for the Moving Pictures tour. I was a fairly new fan being only 13-years-old, but that show (my first concert, no less) turned me into a fully-obsessed fanatic.

While I was already a HUGE Porcupine Tree fan when I finally got to see them live this past April, it was truly an mind-altering experience. I'll have a hard time not comparing every single show I see from here on out to that one. Also, having my 13-year-old son with me in the front row made it the best concert experience ever.

These two bands, Rush and Porcupine Tree, have been monumentally influential in two different phases of my life. I'm thankful for their talents and their willingness to share them.

Hearing Hemispheres when it came completely altered my scope of music. I was 12 in 1978 already a band geek and I listened to the radio all the time. But after I heard that album, my listening habits changed completely.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Oct 13 2010, 02:50 PM)
Was at Jon Anderon & Rick Wakeman last night and I thought "I must mention it on TRF".

I give thanks for the wonder that is Jon Anderson, and THAT voice. At 66, still sounds like an angel.

I still curse Chris Squire for going on tour without him. I'll never go to another Yes show (at least not one w/o Jon). Jon is a kind and gentle soul. Glad to hear he's sounding good and in good health.

Was at Jon Anderon & Rick Wakeman last night and I thought "I must mention it on TRF".

I give thanks for the wonder that is Jon Anderson, and THAT voice. At 66, still sounds like an angel.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (tjtull @ Oct 13 2010, 08:16 PM)

I still curse Chris Squire for going on tour without him. I'll never go to another Yes show (at least not one w/o Jon). Jon is a kind and gentle soul. Glad to hear he's sounding good and in good health.

He looked and sounded great. I saw the current Yes line up last year, and whilst I had a ball, it wasn't the same without the true spirit of Yes there.

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!

They finished last night with Soon & The Meeting. Yes, there were tears.

QUOTE (yaoi_myantidrug @ Oct 13 2010, 01:25 PM)
QUOTE (Jaye @ Oct 13 2010, 04:53 AM)

Would they be your favorites if they were one hit wonders? confused13.gif

If they still had the same songs, of course! I'm just glad they're not! tongue.gif

Getting to take my hubby to see Rush this year and watching him enjoy himself!

Archived