When should RUSH retire?

friendlyfloridian

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (flybyknight @ Oct 7 2010, 11:59 AM)
Longevity is a word commonly assocciated with Rush, I'm guessing that they'll stick around a while longer.

I agree but wouldn't it suck if they had to retire because let's say someone in the band has a freak motorcycle accident?

Wouldn't it be better that if one day they announce their final world tour and that be it?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 7 2010, 12:04 PM)
You might want to rethink the title of this thread to avoid giving people minor heart attacks. Just sayin'... wink.gif

Yeah, like the one I just had ohmy.gif

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ Oct 7 2010, 12:07 PM)
You might want to rethink the title of this thread to avoid giving people minor heart attacks.  Just sayin'... wink.gif

umm ok that's fine but who changed the title for me?

Much better! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ Oct 7 2010, 12:07 PM)
You might want to rethink the title of this thread to avoid giving people minor heart attacks.  Just sayin'... wink.gif

I just did. As soon as I saw that title from the main page I knew it needed to be changed.

We know you didn't mean any harm, but that title made it sound like you were reporting an official announcement from the band, and the band retiring is pretty damn major. wink.gif

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ Oct 7 2010, 11:03 AM)
Longevity is a word commonly assocciated with Rush, I'm guessing that they'll stick around a while longer.

I agree but wouldn't it suck if they had to retire because let's say someone in the band has a freak motorcycle accident?

Wouldn't it be better that if one day they announce their final world tour and that be it?

I don't know, these farewell tours never seem to be the final tour for any band. I mean, how many farewell tours have The Who had? It becomes laughable at some point.

I think that as long as the creative drive is still there, they should keep going. Many bands have called it quits and decided later that they missed being out there and producing music.

I get the sense that Neil will drive the decision. When he's ready to hang it up, they won't be coming back, and there may not be any notice or farewell tour (just a feeling I get).

QUOTE (tjtull @ Oct 7 2010, 12:12 PM)
QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ Oct 7 2010, 11:03 AM)

I don't know, these farewell tours never seem to be the final tour for any band. I mean, how many farewell tours have The Who had? It becomes laughable at some point.

I think that as long as the creative drive is still there, they should keep going. Many bands have called it quits and decided later that they missed being out there and producing music.

I get the sense that Neil will drive the decision. When he's ready to hang it up, they won't be coming back, and there may not be any notice or farewell tour (just a feeling I get).

true true

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ Oct 7 2010, 11:07 AM)

Cardiac or not, for the love of Rush, don't mention about them retiring - I couldn't bear it!

performing and writing music shouldn't have to end. All the Rock and Roll posing and antics should end when it gets hard to do with out injuring yourself. Fortunately Rush was never much for rock and roll posing and antics, so as long as they have inspiration and the desire to tour, we should look forward to hearing from them for a long while.

They'll let us know when they have had enough. I hope they at least have a R40. I'll be there. bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Oct 7 2010, 12:45 PM)
With the help of advanced medical science, they should retire in the year 2112 bncegrn.gif

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

I hate to sound morbid here but at this point I don't think they will stop until death takes one of them. Just like what happened with Ronnie James Dio (RIP).

To retire from something that you've been doing for close to 40 years is not an easy decision. This is the only life and the only way to make a living they have ever really known. Even if they do annouce it, I don't see how they wouldn't get bored after a few years and not wanna get back out on the road again cool.gif

I think they'll retire when they feel they can't play the songs anymore, or when Geddy decides his voice is done. I can't see them pushing through tours putting on subpar shows.

Archived