When should RUSH retire?

friendlyfloridian

QUOTE (Undemanding Contact @ Oct 9 2010, 05:28 PM)
I'll paraphrase the assertion I made in another recent thread about the possibility of R40: I would bet a significant sum of money that we will see R50; you may choose all sorts of 'ready voices', I will choose optimism.

I think we've got a hell of a shot at an R40, but R50? Never. no.gif

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we see R50 it will probably just be a one or two night stint at Madison Square Garden or something to commemorate the anniversary. Hate to say it, but it's unlikely that they'll be doing a full-blown production tour like they're doing now in 14 years' time. They'll be in their mid-70s, let's be realistic.

B.B. King might still be performing, but he sits down at all his performances. Other musicians might perform into their 70's or even 80's, but they don't do a hard rock show with the intensity that Rush does it.

We'll see R40 (whether they call it that or not), in 2014 I'm convinced. It's 3 years away, they're healthy and energetic and enthusiastic about what they do. We may even see a tour after that. But R50, in 2024... no way.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 9 2010, 10:42 PM)
B.B. King might still be performing, but he sits down at all his performances. Other musicians might perform into their 70's or even 80's, but they don't do a hard rock show with the intensity that Rush does it.

geddy and alex's parts could be completely done sitting down! laugh.gif rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif this sounds like a Great opener for next show.. R50!

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Oct 9 2010, 08:45 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 9 2010, 10:42 PM)

geddy and alex's parts could be completely done sitting down! laugh.gif rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif this sounds like a Great opener for next show.. R50!

That's true. And come to think of it, Neil is already sitting down! You nailed it! R60 here we come!!!! z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Oct 10 2010, 02:43 PM)
We'll cart them out onto the stage in wheelchairs. They'll have no choice.

Weekend at Bernies IV: Weekend at Geddy's. Plotline - Rush is now dead, but continue to perform as Ray Daniels, their manager, has the roadies prop up Rush as if they are playing.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 9 2010, 09:01 PM)
QUOTE (Undemanding Contact @ Oct 9 2010, 05:28 PM)
I'll paraphrase the assertion I made in another recent thread about the possibility of R40: I would bet a significant sum of money that we will see R50; you may choose all sorts of 'ready voices', I will choose optimism.

I think we've got a hell of a shot at an R40, but R50? Never. no.gif

I understand exactly why you say that, but I stand by the point I made earlier in this thread. To paraphrase: Rush have survived and succeeded wonderfully by taking a risk on constant musical-evolution. i.e. there will always be an audience out there - the fan-base - who are ready and willing to hear what they have to 'say'. Ged says much the same thing (about 'experiments') on the Boys in Brazil documentary-DVD that comes as part of the Rush in Rio package.

Given that, I am sure that rocking-horse manure (i.e. the completely unexpected) is always in our sights when it comes to Rush, and so I am still willing to bet more than a tenner that we will see R50 in some form or other.

To put it another way: a speculative R50 is only 14 years away, and I do not have the feeling that Al, Ged and that lyrics-guy-who-knocks-Ringo-Starr-into-a-cocked-hat will be in wheelchairs in fourteen-years time.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Oct 10 2010, 08:09 PM)
I dunno, when I saw them this summer they absolutely kicked ass. I saw them as far back as 1981 and they put on as good a show in 2010.

There level of play is not even in consideration at this point, IMO. Their level of virtuosity as musicians is still fantastic. You watch them play those l songs from MP, or a song like La Villa, and they do NOT just mail it in, its as good if not better than their play of those songs back in the day.

The Who have been doing a Farewell tour since 1982 and they are planning a tour now confused13.gif

Archived