Rush footage from the 1970s

thebigguyconnor

I found this sort of live-in-studio clip of rush doing circumstances, and it doesn't appear to be mimed, and the audio is definitely no the original audio.

It looks to be from 1977. Can anybody identify or explain this video? Is there more footage from this concert?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49q59A8OhM8

Thanks!

Connor

I believe it was a promo vid for Hemispheres. Shot at a soundcheck or something. They have vids for The Trees and La Villa as well. That version of La Villa is killer; It's kinda like the ESL version

This was a promo video that was shot around the time of the "Hemispheres" release. They also did one for "The Trees" and one for "La Villa Strangiato". What's unusual is that they didn't mime or lip-sync and they actually played live. Great stuff.

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Oct 5 2010, 11:06 AM)
It's on the R30 DVD, in the Vault section, isn't it?

Yes, it is. I was quite pleased to see another live version of this and La Villa. And what fantastic versions they are!!

Though the "artistic" bit of blurring the edges of the film got kind of old quickly...

QUOTE (Torgo @ Oct 5 2010, 08:01 PM)
This was a promo video that was shot around the time of the "Hemispheres" release. They also did one for "The Trees" and one for "La Villa Strangiato". What's unusual is that they didn't mime or lip-sync and they actually played live. Great stuff.

yes.gif

Very close to the studio version. Great sound too!

Great video!

I have always thought that Geddy and Rickenbacker simply seem to be made for each other... like a match made in rock god heaven.

Why did Geddy go with Fender Jazz bass, anyhow?

I saw a similar promo with them performing The Trees around 1978 on TV in San Diego. It was on a late night rock show on a premium cable station called Channel 100. I had just got a VCR and recorded it. I've have since seen it on YouTube. When I saw it in '78, on TV , I was blown away.

QUOTE (Ted Barchetta @ Oct 5 2010, 01:04 PM)
I believe it was a promo vid for Hemispheres. Shot at a soundcheck or something. They have vids for The Trees and La Villa as well. That version of La Villa is killer; It's kinda like the ESL version

Damn straight the La Villa clip is killer! Amazes me everytime I watch it.

Me thinks they shot the entire soundcheck (that's what it was.)

Rather than "stop and go". It's just so much easier to do it that way.

However, i'm sure once they got what they wanted, it was all erased.

Well, I'm glad that this footage survived!! It's awesome!

I got another question: did they film all of Rush's Pinkpop performance in 1979?

There is so much potential for an awesome archives DVD release or something!

QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ Oct 6 2010, 10:44 PM)
I saw a similar promo with them performing The Trees around 1978 on TV in San Diego. It was on a late night rock show on a premium cable station called Channel 100. I had just got a VCR and recorded it. I've have since seen it on YouTube. When I saw it in '78, on TV , I was blown away.

That's now on the Chronicles VHS/DVD.

Archived