Pot Use at Shows

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Oct 5 2010, 12:18 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Oct 5 2010, 01:45 PM)
i'll take a pot smoker over a drunk anyday. cool10.gif

Post-smoking pot vs post-getting wasted?

I'll take the post-pot smoker everytime. They are mellow.

If it's DURING the act, I take the guy drinking everytime because I do not care to be around pot smoke. Doing it in a public place takes away the choice of those around you to experience the drug. They (we) are forced to experience it just because we like the same music?

If you wanna smoke, smoke in your car, or in a designated smoking section. DO NOT force those around you to make the choice of "stay and watch Rush" or "leave because the selfish guy next to me is giving me/my wife/my kid a contact high"

goodpost.gif

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Oct 5 2010, 03:35 PM)
I'm only 31 so I can't speak for the older crowd, but I think a lot of people in their 40s-50s-60s go to concerts for the sole purpose of "reliving their youth", and lighting up is just another part of the experience. To me and most younger people it makes them look pretty stupid, but I guess I can see where they're coming from.

I'm 42, and I have to agree that there is something sort of forlorn and pathetic about middle-agers trying to act like they're still in their 20's.

I may have a very different viewpoint in 10 years, however. tongue.gif

I would rather be near a pot smoker than a drunk any day anywhere. The only reason pot is illegal is because the government hasn't figured a way to tax it properly. Alcohol gets a pass in society but we all know its far worse to drink than to smoke pot. However I do agree being around any smoking when you are not one is annoying. I was at the Red Rocks shows and it seemed half the crowd was smoking pot !

It's all about respect.... especially when in a public place.

Whether you're physically doing the drugs, illegal or not (alcohol, tobacco) or if you are just acting in a way that may upset others, you should make sure your actions do not interfere with the people around you.

You can drink and smoke pot at a concert and easily have it not negatively affect the people around.....it's called respect for others and being on the down-low.

Drink a moderate amount of alcohol, so you won't even have the chance of disturbing others. Smoke your cigs and pot either in a designated area or in an out-of-way secluded spot. You may have to go into stealth mode but if you are doing something illegal then you've got to do what you have to.

Drunks, if affecting others, I have a problem with. Pot smokers, not so much, just try to be sly and hide it and don't flaunt it. (small hit sneak-a-toke).

QUOTE (Oziumrules @ Oct 5 2010, 02:20 PM)
The only reason pot is illegal is because the government hasn't figured a way to tax it properly.

Not even close. If there's one thing the government knows, it's taxation.

The reason it's illegal is thanks (as usual) to big business - specifically the timber industry and companies like DuPont and Kimberly-Clark. History, FTW.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 5 2010, 04:25 PM)
QUOTE (Oziumrules @ Oct 5 2010, 02:20 PM)
The only reason pot is illegal is because the government hasn't figured a way to tax it properly.

Not even close. If there's one thing the government knows, it's taxation.

The reason it's illegal is thanks (as usual) to big business - specifically the timber industry and companies like DuPont and Kimberly-Clark. History, FTW.

i think i understand taxation a little bit more than most. i live in ny. laugh.gif

i'm considering texas for the future. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ Oct 5 2010, 04:33 PM)

Whether you're physically doing the drugs, illegal or not (alcohol, tobacco) or if you are just acting in a way that may upset others, you should make sure your actions do not interfere with the people around you.

You can drink and smoke pot at a concert and easily have it not negatively affect the people around.....it's called respect for others and being on the down-low.

Drink a moderate amount of alcohol, so you won't even have the chance of disturbing others. Smoke your cigs and pot either in a designated area or in an out-of-way secluded spot. You may have to go into stealth mode but if you are doing something illegal then you've got to do what you have to.

Drunks, if affecting others, I have a problem with. Pot smokers, not so much, just try to be sly and hide it and don't flaunt it. (small hit sneak-a-toke).

WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER wins this thread. yes.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 5 2010, 01:58 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Oct 5 2010, 12:34 PM)
QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Oct 5 2010, 09:56 AM)
I do have to say that I find it rather naive & somewhat hypocritical for you to start a thread like this. As others have mentioned, alcohol is technically a drug too and in my experience, people get waay more out of hand & obnoxious when they're drunk than when they're high.

I encountered not one drunk person the entire show in Atlanta. And there had to be 20k people there.

Sidenote - I wish I could agree with you. At least 10 very drunk people were surrounding our seats. Obnoxious doesn't even begin to cover it...

The drunkest person we encountered stopped traffic for us so we could back the car out of our parking spot! (We had a giant sewer access in front of us, so we couldn't move forward). He wasn't driving, and his buddy hadn't made it to the parking lot yet. He was about five sheets to the wind, but we were grateful to him or we'd have been there all night waiting to back out.

I do hope his friend who was driving showed a little more restraint on his intake. . .

QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ Oct 5 2010, 03:33 PM)

you could use a smoke break in place of a pee break but than when you have to really use a pee break you might have wasted it on the smoke break unless you combine the pee break and the smoke break into one. that would require possibly two pee break songs in a row for one to pull that off.

I remember my mother taking me to see fleetwood mac (her friend couldn't come) in '76, at the capital centre. These guys in front of us pulled out a baggie full of skinny little white cigarettes and smoked them continuously throughout the concert. I remember that it smelled pretty good. The whole venue was smokey! A great concert, BTW.

QUOTE (jesse2112 @ Oct 5 2010, 08:16 PM)
While pot smokers at concerts usually don't bother me, I think its a little insulting to the band almost like their music isn't good enough sober

With recent quotes like this, I don't think they find it insulting... on the contrary, I think they find it humorous. biggrin.gif

Alex in the documentary talking about playing Passage To Bangkok on the S&A tour...

Alex: "And it is interesting how, when we played it on our last tour, how noticeable the atmosphere became." laughs

Geddy: "We have one of the finest, most aeromatic audiences you'll ever find in Rock and Roll." smiles

cool10.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Oct 5 2010, 06:57 PM)
I remember my mother taking me to see fleetwood mac (her friend couldn't come) in '76, at the capital centre. These guys in front of us pulled out a baggie full of skinny little white cigarettes and smoked them continuously throughout the concert. I remember that it smelled pretty good. The whole venue was smokey! A great concert, BTW.

'76 must have been a hell of a year. 2112 cool10.gif

QUOTE (rebelyank @ Oct 5 2010, 08:27 AM)
My husband and I took our 11 and 14 year old sons to this tour (in San Francisco) because we're all major fans. It wasn't like we dragged them them there and they didn't know a thing. We happened to end up in a really heavy smoking area. Some people were acting crazy. But it was a very teachable moment for us. We tried to show them how not to focus on stuff like that and remember the reason you're there -- to see the greatest band in the world. Just tune everything else out and lock into the music! While Rush and Pink Floyd among others have a major drug culture following, there are many of us who enjoy them sober. As long as you're not pushing your own agenda (either way) I don't have a problem with either side of it.

yes.gif common001.gif

QUOTE (jesse2112 @ Oct 5 2010, 05:16 PM)
While pot smokers at concerts usually don't bother me, I think its a little insulting to the band almost like their music isn't good enough sober

While I don't think the band is insulted in the least, you do bring up a good point. I find it unfortunate that people feel the need to be on chemicals to enjoy a concert, or to enjoy anything for that matter. Some people can't even go to a party without a few drinks, as they don't feel comfortable just being themselves. To have to be wasted to really enjoy something seems like a crutch. I understand it though, as I used to smoke pot many, many years ago, and I understand the desire to want to enhance every experience in that way, but I'm sure glad I don't do it anymore. Life is so much better and experiences are more real IMHO without having to do that, and then there's none of the side or after effects to deal with. Anyway, just my opinion. I know that all sounds judgmental, but I know I'm not perfect either.

At the Atlanta show, I didn't see anyojne, but I'm sure the lawn was full of it... confused13.gif

But, I did go to a 311 concert in July and (suprise suprise) it was everywhere on the lawn. Not only pot, but all kinds of stuff. It really ruins the concert when the whole time your worried about high people blacking out or losing it around you. That and the cops EVERYWHERE.

Also, the smell gets all over and that forces it on the people like me who are just there for the music.

Repect people...

While I would "prefer" that I don't smell pot smoke at ANY concert, I know that this will not change appreciably in the near future. "Mind-altering" substances (including alcohol) have always been part of the rock concert scene, and will likely continue until there is a cultural shift away from it (this could take decades - if ever).

So, I continue to attend concerts and don't complain about what I see or smell - instead I focus on why I am there..... THE MUSIC. I also choose to NOT bring my children to concerts (for a variety of reasons).

Just giving my $0.02

QUOTE (Mara @ Oct 5 2010, 03:49 PM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Oct 5 2010, 03:35 PM)
I'm only 31 so I can't speak for the older crowd, but I think a lot of people in their 40s-50s-60s go to concerts for the sole purpose of "reliving their youth", and lighting up is just another part of the experience. To me and most younger people it makes them look pretty stupid, but I guess I can see where they're coming from.

I'm 42, and I have to agree that there is something sort of forlorn and pathetic about middle-agers trying to act like they're still in their 20's.

I may have a very different viewpoint in 10 years, however. tongue.gif

I will ask again: Why does a 40+ year old smoking pot automatically equate to "stupid" "forlorn," "pathetic," "trying to relive their youth"? On what basis do you assume that anyone over 40 who smokes marijuana is acting in a way that is inappropriate to their age? Do you feel this way about people who drink beer? If not, why not?

I will repeat that I totally agree with the notion that smokers of all kinds should be considerate about where, when and around whom they choose to light up, but this perception that smoking marijuana is somehow childish and contemptible really baffles me. People of many different ages smoke marijuana for many different reasons, and to lump all pot smokers together under headings of stupid, forlorn, pathetic, childish, immature, etc, is ignorant, intolerant, inaccurate and unnecessary.

i caught a whiff of skunk weed at the atl show, but no more than that. we were 25 rows back from the stage, not close to the lawn seats. i did see some folks who'd had too much to drink.

our foursome was sober as judges and loving it!

I took my 10 year old son to the Tampa show expecting fully that I would have to try explain "What's that smell?"

I never had to do it. I am sure there was some weed in the lawn, but not in section four where I was sitting. The biggest problem (in the eyes of security) was people using their iPhones and such to try and record the show.

At the West Palm show, the pot was more prevalent.