Favorite Scene from "BTLS"??

vnslykrx

I loved the "Dinner with Rush at a Hunting Lodge" thing on the second disc, for one. I also loved the part where they were trying to find the first gig, "the documentary behind the documentary" as Dirk would say.

A couple moments that stick out are the beginning to "The New Guy" sequence and the one concerning Neil's tragedy, where he's riding his bike. Totally gripping moments.

Funniest Scene: The Dinner (especially the extended bonus footage).

Funniest Scene #2: The autograph in the diner and Alex getting completely blown off.

Most Poignant Scene: When Geddy is talking about the group hug just before the Hartford show, the first show in the VT tour. If you didn't well up with him when he said that the "moment was not lost on us", you have no heart.

Best Guest Commentary: Billy Corrigan (talking about why Rush needs to be part of the Greatest Bands conversation) and Matt Stone's "Old dickheads" comment.

Worst Guest Commentary: Sebastian Bach. The misquoting of Circumstances makes me cringe (and makes me wonder why it wasn't caught and edited out).

Pleasant Surprise: Seeing and hearing from Geddy and Alex's moms and Neils parents.

Most Interesting Nugget I Didn't Know: That they were unable to record La Villa Strangiato in a single take (for some reason, I thought they did...a la Skynyrd and Freebird).

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 28 2010, 08:43 AM)
Jack Black and Sebastian Bach... every time one of those guys came on, I thought to myself, "you guys aren't helping". We want Rush to be taken seriously by the mainstream... get Black and Bach the hell away from the camera.

Aw c'mon...

The 'rocket sauce' quote was epic and very apropos.

QUOTE (Atomic @ Sep 29 2010, 01:41 PM)
Jack Black and Sebastian Bach... every time one of those guys came on, I thought to myself, "you guys aren't helping". We want Rush to be taken seriously by the mainstream... get Black and Bach the hell away from the camera.

Aw c'mon...

NO. just NO. Jack Black and Bach make me cringe every time they say something in the doc. Surely they could have gotten other celebrities that are Rush fans to comment on Rush. Someone who is a little more musically inclined than Bach or Black.

Aw c'mon...

I LMAO at his imitation of TSOR opening riff.

I like the series of scenes where Neil talks about his 55,000 mile journey and what went on during that time.

Also my favorite quote was when the guy near the end (is he the South Park creator?) said something to the effect of Rush has been through so much and they're still around, and you just gotta give it for them. I mean you just have to, or you're just being a dick. laugh.gif

Something like that.....I about fell out of my chair when I heard it.

I love the pre-gig warm up where Geddy is practicing Limelight unplugged, then sits back, calmly takes a drink, hangs up his bass, says, "That's what ah does", and waves. Ohhhh yeeeaaah. And "Old Chokin' Al Lifeson"! And Geddy's comments on one of the figures painted on the walls of the church where they initially thought they had played their first show. My fave of the dinner scene has to be where Alex puts the guitar magnet in his mouth and Geddy says, "You don't know where it's been"!

Thanks to those who recommended this as one of my next steps in becoming a (more intense) Rush fan!

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Sep 29 2010, 01:47 PM)

Aw c'mon...

NO. just NO. Jack Black and Bach make me cringe every time they say something in the doc. Surely they could have gotten other celebrities that are Rush fans to comment on Rush. Someone who is a little more musically inclined than Bach or Black.

Jack black is quite hip these days, and he's a huge music fan. I know he's tight with Dave grohl, and tenacious d was part of some Who tribute on VH1. It gives Rush credibility having him speak highly of them.

The autograph scene in the diner. Specifically, when the lady asks Geddy for his autograph and Alex says to Geddy, "Sorry. Didn't mean to get in your way sir." Geddy looks over his glasses at Alex as though it's that same old inside joke that they have had going for years. Then Geddy says to the lady, "You want his too. He's the leader of the group." It shows just how close these guys are as friends and that they are really just normal people.

.....and, of course, the lodge scene at the end is hilarious.

Archived