Solsbury Hill

Lost In Xanadu

I love that song. I especially liked it when they used it in Vanilla Sky. smile.gif

I've been a fan of Peter Gabriel since high school .

He was always ahead of his time.

Was that Fripp on guitar? I know he toured with him when he first started out. I heard that Gabriel was so flamboyant that Fripp would sit off-stage because it was not his style. When I saw Fripp with Crimson and P2 he sat in the dark. Weird guy. As for the topic, love that tune. Have since high school many moons ago.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 24 2010, 08:26 PM)
Great song. A rare example of a song in an odd time signature (7/8 in this case) becoming a hit on mainstream radio.

Yes. Great song.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Sep 26 2010, 08:27 PM)
Was that Fripp on guitar? I know he toured with him when he first started out. I heard that Gabriel was so flamboyant that Fripp would sit off-stage because it was not his style. When I saw Fripp with Crimson and P2 he sat in the dark. Weird guy. As for the topic, love that tune. Have since high school many moons ago.

Fripp toured with Gabriel under the name "Dusty Rhodes" and was not visible to the audience. In addtion to being a bit weird, Fripp does not like to have his photo taken and that was probably the reason he was not in view of the audience during those shows.

In case anybody didn't know, the song is about his choice to leave Genesis - one of the reasons being that his newborn child (or wife) was in a state of medical emergency and he wanted to spend more time with them than he was able to while being in Genesis.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 16 2011, 07:06 PM)
In case anybody didn't know, the song is about his choice to leave Genesis - one of the reasons being that his newborn child (or wife) was in a state of medical emergency and he wanted to spend more time with them than he was able to while being in Genesis.

It means that for him but it is written so well that it could be about generally leaving something behind (especially something you love) to be able to grow and care for something new.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Aug 16 2011, 08:31 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 16 2011, 07:06 PM)

It means that for him but it is written so well that it could be about generally leaving something behind (especially something you love) to be able to grow and care for something new.

it must certainly does NOT! angry.gif

tongue.gif