Alex guitar problems at Boston show?

dakota2112

I'd more than think he'd have a backup for the ES-355. So there probably won't be any drastic set changes. If I remember correctly, he used the same guitar on the Trees for the 2008 S&A leg and we all its been played hundreds of times without fail over the years.

The same guitar used on 3 very different songs it could be easy to swap something out. Unless he carries 3 different White Gibsons on tour and I'm not personally aware of this. biggrin.gif

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alph Seeker @ Sep 15 2010, 10:36 PM)

We need footage of Working Man. I tell you, that is where you saw Alex go from joking to irritated - his neck was red as a friggin' tomato during his solo, which he SMOKED - he was venting for sure. I may have read it wrong, but I thought I saw some none-too-pleased glances between him and Neil, all the while Geddy was the cool constant. The looks may very well have been 100% directed at the equipment failures, but they were off synch badly at one point.

Ah ha so they were lost at one point in the middle of Working Man...I was sitting there with my buddy and I said to him "I'm not sure about you but I'm lost". He turned to me and said yeah, I think they are too.

QUOTE (Alph Seeker @ Sep 15 2010, 11:36 PM)

We need footage of Working Man. I tell you, that is where you saw Alex go from joking to irritated - his neck was red as a friggin' tomato during his solo, which he SMOKED - he was venting for sure. I may have read it wrong, but I thought I saw some none-too-pleased glances between him and Neil, all the while Geddy was the cool constant. The looks may very well have been 100% directed at the equipment failures, but they were off synch badly at one point.

At the end, Alex mouthed "OH MY GOD - I'M SORRY!" or something to that effect to the crowd. He was clearly fuming and yet accommodating to the crowd. Hey, so what -- it made the show unique and we got to see some humor, professionalism under duress (ok, Grace Under Pressure) and after all, it happened at the end of the show -- imagine if this problem started and persisted throughout?!

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 16 2010, 06:45 AM)
QUOTE (Alph Seeker @ Sep 15 2010, 11:36 PM)

We need footage of Working Man.  I tell you, that is where you saw Alex go from joking to irritated - his neck was red as a friggin' tomato during his solo, which he SMOKED - he was venting for sure.  I may have read it wrong, but I thought I saw some none-too-pleased glances between him and Neil, all the while Geddy was the cool constant.  The looks may very well have been 100% directed at the equipment failures, but they were off synch badly at one point.

At the end, Alex mouthed "OH MY GOD - I'M SORRY!" or something to that effect to the crowd.  He was clearly fuming and yet accommodating to the crowd.  Hey, so what -- it made the show unique and we got to see some humor, professionalism under duress (ok, Grace Under Pressure) and after all, it happened at the end of the show -- imagine if this problem started and persisted throughout?!

this channel has most of the show...

just watched the video... wow, even through such a Rock God humbling experience, the guys were nothing but professional.

It may be easy to come down hard on the guitar tech, but I commend him for working through a tough situation and coming quickly to a resolution. Despite, Alex's frustrations in the moment, I'd wager that after the show he praised, as opposed to berated, the tech for getting working through the technical issues and giving him sound.

Alex has been plagued by issues like this (intermittently of course) for a long time. My first show was on the Presto tour, and he was having problems back then as well. His doubleneck didn't work during the Xanadu intro. They futzed with the wireless and couldn't get anything, so they swapped another guitar (PRS? can't remember) and I think IT didn't work at first either. They finally got it working, but the whole Xanadu intro was a mess as a result.

On the other hand, I don't remember ever seeing or hearing about Ged having bass issues. I know guitar signal chains are a lot more complicated than that for a bass; maybe that's why they're more error prone.

It's clear that Alex was pretty pissed. He usually has a ball playing the closers Far Cry, La Villa, and Working Man. He and Geddy usually play La Villa right at center stage for the first several minutes. Geddy went to center stage, but Alex took off stage left. He was pissed - only because he felt he was letting the crowd down, which he certainly wasn't. Even with all the troubles, he was still awesome on the closers.

Shameless self-promotion:

Here's my video. Taken from Alex's side so you can see what he's yelling at the tech (and how many glares the tech receives- yikes)!

See, if that had been me up there playing guitar, I would have done a Pete Townshend and smashed the guitar in frustration.

I think Alex's guitar tech Scott Appleton is doing the best he can with keeping Alex's rig working.

It isn't an easy job to do.

If you could see what is involved in the YouTube clips below, I would not want to do it.

Scott Appleton - Performing Musician Article

Edited by RushFanForever

QUOTE (FootballYouBet @ Sep 16 2010, 05:40 AM)
QUOTE (Alph Seeker @ Sep 15 2010, 10:36 PM)

We need footage of Working Man.  I tell you, that is where you saw Alex go from joking to irritated - his neck was red as a friggin' tomato during his solo, which he SMOKED - he was venting for sure.  I may have read it wrong, but I thought I saw some none-too-pleased glances between him and Neil, all the while Geddy was the cool constant.  The looks may very well have been 100% directed at the equipment failures, but they were off synch badly at one point.

Ah ha so they were lost at one point in the middle of Working Man...I was sitting there with my buddy and I said to him "I'm not sure about you but I'm lost". He turned to me and said yeah, I think they are too.

I noticed it more in La Villa at around 8:50 to 9:00 and I thought so at one point in WM, but from the video clip I really can't find it - but I'm no musician - I only know when a rush song doesn't sound spot on- it's rare, but live you can "feel it".

Neil just seemed to be irked all through la villa and WM - I only saw him smile at the end of WM -he smiled and said "one more" (cymbal crash) before they ended. That said, he had the same stoic look throughout the show - but that is normal save for the occasional smile to Alex or Geddy. He and Alex both had glares going after that point in La Villa it seemed to me. Alex kept looking off to the techs on the side, and I think that something was still wrong after he got the sound back - maybe it was his monitor?

I really enjoyed watching them work through this, though - it made it a rare and memorable experience.

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Sep 16 2010, 09:17 AM)

Here's my video. Taken from Alex's side so you can see what he's yelling at the tech (and how many glares the tech receives- yikes)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdBZLguuKec

Great job! That's the best indictation yet of how irked he really was. Takes a lot to bring Alex down. Hate to be the techie after that one.

QUOTE (orangefan244 @ Sep 16 2010, 10:16 AM)
QUOTE (Kelly D @ Sep 16 2010, 09:17 AM)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdBZLguuKec

Great job! That's the best indictation yet of how irked he really was. Takes a lot to bring Alex down. Hate to be the techie after that one.

Thank you! As soon as he started ranting I flipped my camera over to "record" mode. Once in a lifetime moment, for sure!

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 16 2010, 09:24 AM)
See, if that had been me up there playing guitar, I would have done a Pete Townshend and smashed the guitar in frustration.

OMG! Alex smashing *that* guitar.... I was thinking that too looking at how frustrated he was, but surely not the 355!!! The horror.

Oh boy, to be a fly on the wall after the gig...eeeeek. Edited by BellaCheval

"what the hell is that? I can't play to that. What am I in? Primus??"

Now, that whole episode.. that, right there, is one of the many reasons why I adore this band!

Agreed 110% 1022.gif