PNC Bank Arts Center (a review)

ericplayzbass

It's so late, I am hardly awake, but I just got home from the most amazing concert experience of my life. Got to hang out on the lawn with GeddysMullet and her husband, who saw some other TRFers before the show, and I got to meet marblesmike (briefly, where were you bro?!?).

We had a spot RIGHT at the barrier on Geddy's side of the lawn.

This is was also the best show musically I have heard or seen, I never saw anybody mess anything up, except during Presto (might have been TSS?) when Alex broke a string I think, and had to get a new one really fast.

Other than that the show as flawless and incredible, best night ever. The sound was just fantastic. The other show I saw at Jones Beach: the sound was just horrendous , whereas tonight it felt like i was listening to the soundboard.

I'll post pictures and stuff tomorrow and Geddysmullet has a picture of all of us and I assume she'll post it whenever?

AMAZING SHOW

^Totally agree.

A friend of mine & myself went to the show, and it was excellent.

I made sure to keep away from this sub-forum so I didn't know anything about the setlist...

Well I did know that they were going to perform MP in its entirety, which got me quite excited.

And to Eric, I also noticed when Alex seemed to have a problem, if it was a broken string I couldn't tell...

I think it may have been during Stick It Out, but I could be wrong also...

Also was pleasantly surprised with a few of the songs, especially considering that I didn't know the setlist beforehand...

Leave That Thing Alone was solid, as was Stick It Out...

Faithless was great, & BU2B sounded phenomenal live.

Didn't expect Marathon at all, that one really got me pumped up.

And of course, hearing The Camera Eye live for the first time was a great experience for me.

I realize not a lot of fans go crazy for it but I've always held it in high regard...and I did notice they cut out 2 short sections of it...but it was still stupendously performed.

MP > Caravan > Drum Solo was by far my favorite 'stretch' of songs throughout the whole concert.

Caravan sounds so sweet live!

I was also surprised by the encore seeing as how they'd already played all of their 'hits' throughout the show...And it was an outstanding encore.

Final word: The show was excellent, the sound was great, everything was top-quality....

Totally enjoyed myself, as did my friend. smile.gif

QUOTE (Rush! @ Sep 4 2010, 12:48 AM)
^Totally agree.

I made sure to keep away from this sub-forum so I didn't know anything about the setlist...
Well I did know that they were going to perform MP in its entirety, which got me quite excited.

And to Eric, I also noticed when Alex seemed to have a problem, if it was a broken string I couldn't tell...

Also was pleasantly surprised with a few of the songs, especially considering that I didn't know the setlist beforehand...

And of course, hearing The Camera Eye live for the first time was a great experience for me.
I realize not a lot of fans go crazy for it but I've always held it in high regard...and I did notice they cut out 2 short sections of it...but it was still stupendously performed.

MP > Caravan > Drum Solo was by far my favorite 'stretch' of songs throughout the whole concert.

I was also surprised by the encore seeing as how they'd already played all of their 'hits' throughout the show...And it was an outstanding encore.

Final word: The show was excellent, the sound was great, everything was top-quality....

It is interesting to know that you were pleased with the setlist, considering that most of this forum was in an uproar once it was revealed.

If you stayed away from this forum, then that also means that you probably stayed away from the hype as well, and rumors of Jacob's Ladder, stuff like that. I am thinking that more of us here would have been happier with the setlist had we not heard so many crazy rumors.

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Sep 4 2010, 02:18 AM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Sep 4 2010, 12:48 AM)
^Totally agree.

It is interesting to know that you were pleased with the setlist, considering that most of this forum was in an uproar once it was revealed.

If you stayed away from this forum, then that also means that you probably stayed away from the hype as well, and rumors of Jacob's Ladder, stuff like that. I am thinking that more of us here would have been happier with the setlist had we not heard so many crazy rumors.

I see...that's cool to know.

I was on the forum, just not in this section or the Rush section.

The only thing I knew for sure going to the show was that they were going to peform all of MP at some point.

But yes I was almost completely surprised, & satisfied.

smile.gif

Interesting that you guys thought this show was better than the one at Jones Beach. I was also at both, and I thought the Jones Beach show was better. This is probably only because it was the first show on the tour that I saw, and the 2nd time around I just knew what to expect.

I could've sworn that there were several errors with both the venue and the boys' playing. Aside from Alex's mishap where he needed to switch guitars mid-song (I could've sworn it was during Closer to the Heart), the monitors on either side of the stage seemed to go on and off unintentionally, and I'm fairly certain Geddy screwed up a lyric in Caravan (or was it BU2B wacko.gif )

My section was pretty unforgiving too, I had a bunch of screaming drunken idiots yelling in my ear all night new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif .

Anyways, I have no right to just point out the errors; the show was outstanding. There's something about just watching my favorite band play live that just makes me happy. During Red Barchetta, my favorite song ever, I got that warm fuzzy feeling that could never be replicated by the studio version. Or maybe that was from all the grass around me cool10.gif

2.gif wub.gif

I was in the 15th row, right in front of Geddy. I must say, I did know the set list before going, and I wasn't really thrilled with it (or so I thought). It turned out to be a fantastic show. The boys seemed to be having a good time and I thought Geddy's vocals were stronger than I've heard in years. As others have said, Alex did have some problems. During "Closer To The Heart", his electric cut completely out (it was kind of cool hearing just Geddy and Neil for a few seconds). At another point, I'm guessing that he was getting some kind of noise in his "in ear monitors" as he was screaming at the sound guy (one time into his mic), than ripped out his monitor in frustration.

That aside, Alex was ripping it up, and being his goofy, lovable self. Several times during the show, he and Neil were goofing around and having fun. Highlights of the show for me were "Presto", "Marathon", and "The Camera Eye", but really, I loved the whole show (and I've been known to be very critical). The new songs went over very well also. "BU2B" is a song that I think sounds much better live. My one (very small) complaint is that they completely overlooked "Vapor Trails", which, aside from the much discussed production problems, is a great and important album for them. It would have been nice to hear something from it, but again, it's a small observation.

All in all, I was proud of the boys, and our NEW JERSEY crowd! The place was packed, and the crowd was great.

QUOTE (bruggy66 @ Sep 4 2010, 07:44 AM)
I was in the 15th row, right in front of Geddy. I must say, I did know the set list before going, and I wasn't really thrilled with it (or so I thought). It turned out to be a fantastic show. The boys seemed to be having a good time and I thought Geddy's vocals were stronger than I've heard in years. As others have said, Alex did have some problems. During "Closer To The Heart", his electric cut completely out (it was kind of cool hearing just Geddy and Neil for a few seconds). At another point, I'm guessing that he was getting some kind of noise in his "in ear monitors" as he was screaming at the sound guy (one time into his mic), than ripped out his monitor in frustration.

That aside, Alex was ripping it up, and being his goofy, lovable self. Several times during the show, he and Neil were goofing around and having fun. Highlights of the show for me were "Presto", "Marathon", and "The Camera Eye", but really, I loved the whole show (and I've been known to be very critical). The new songs went over very well also. "BU2B" is a song that I think sounds much better live. My one (very small) complaint is that they completely overlooked "Vapor Trails", which, aside from the much discussed production problems, is a great and important album for them. It would have been nice to hear something from it, but again, it's a small observation.

All in all, I was proud of the boys, and our NEW JERSEY crowd! The place was packed, and the crowd was great.

19th row Alex side. Also didn't love the setlist when I saw it, but blown away by it at the show. Some of the songs just sound so much better live.

The crowd was great! I saw Camden and Allentown and by far the PNC crowd has more energy and many of the underappreciated snog at other shows were more welcomed at PNC. And the band seemed to like the crowd intensity and feed off off it.

It is amazing that Geddy can still hit a lot of the notes vocally. His voice was especially good last night.

And Geddys bass sound was just so raw on this tour. Kind of like what he seems to be going for on Caravan and BU2B was projected into the entire setlist.

An amazing show overall with an excellent and diverse crowd. And the sound was good too (although that always depends on where you sit).

And great to hear Presto, Caravan, BU2B (all never live before) and of course all the instrumentals. Its simply amazing that at their ages, they can still play these songs, for three hours, every other night, with that intensity, and unbelievable skill.

Simply amazing

I'm gonna break this up into a couple parts...so as not to have one long post...who reads those? LOL

AH...RUSH concerts, how do I love them? Let me count the ways...

First..shout out to my brother for making the whole night happen! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Second...um, are TRFers the coolest people EVER? I think so. And they have cool friends. I havent done a RUSH tailgate like that, well, probably never, and I thank you all for being so extraordinarily cool!

Third...PTA, PAGS...so so SO good to see you guys again! and all the guys you brought along, a great bunch!

Fourth...Natch, GeddysMullet, Tarkus...so nice to meet you! Natch, remember, Fridays are good for me...to the city we go!

Fifth...Thank you Hurricane Earl, for being a RUSH fan, and beating it out of town! way cool

Ahhh RUSH...how do I love thee? Let me count the ways *SPOILERS*

First...GEDDY...he was in his usual fine form bantering with the crowd, "Hurricane, what hurricane? Meh! We've got music instead!" His vocals were SICK good. Who says he cant hit the high notes? I dont know what kind of regiment he's been putting himself through, but I dont recall when I've heard him sound better.

Second...ALEX...goofy loveable nut...Listen, I've been a Geddy Girl for all my RUSH years. But Alex totally stole a piece of my heart last night. He was so on point (technical difficulties notwithstanding) and so strong, I was mesmerized by him more than I think I've ever been.

Third...NEIL...Whoa. I could leave it at that, and you'd all understand. But I wont. Very focused, he seemed relaxed though. That solo? Pffft...never heard him do that before! Nothing familiar about it, but a good kick ass change. I liked it.

Fourth...CROWD...best in a while! No whiners, no complainers, no loudmouths or drunks and no pushing or shoving. you could totally hear everyone singing...nice.

Fifth...SONGS...highlights...TSOR right out the gate got me all filled up. Marathon...what a swell in my heart that gave me!...Presto..ahhhh, that was something special! Witch Hunt...damn i love that song!

Sixth...VIDEOGRAPHY...BEST BEST BEST camera work I have EVER seen at a RUSH show. Hands. Down.

Seventh...TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES...know what? they're human...Alex had at least 3 episodes with his guitars that required assistance, most notably in CTTH. Geddy hiccupped a lyric in CARAVAN. The video monitors did go out briefly. All of it just bumps in an otherwise stellar evening, all handled quickly and without interruption of the flow of the show.

I give it a 10 folks! 1022.gif

I thought the attitude and spirit of the concert was the best I've ever seen. I was very skeptical of the setlist, but, once again, Rush proved me wrong. The concert flowed beautifully. They looked like they were have a ton of fun, Alex's guitar problems aside. In fact, I thought Alex handled the situations perfectly. I'd mention the songs, but I don't want to spoil it.

I've seen Rush during the early 80's and last night's concert was right up there. They are still at their peak as a live band, no question. If they put on better shows this tour, I'm jealous, because last night was one of the best Rush concerts I've ever seen.

Also, I noticed most of the crowd standing the entire concert. There were two so called "fans" sitting down checking there iPhone and Blackberry towards the end of the show. Fools, I say, fools!!!!!

Again, it was a FANTASTIC concert.

QUOTE (exiled yorkie @ Sep 4 2010, 09:14 AM)
Neil needs to stay off the pork pies, he is getting fat wink.gif (no seriously he is)

I did notice that. From where I was sitting I had a perfect view of the belly. Between moving around so much while playing and the sweat losss, you wouldn't think it would happen, but, oh well. Age (its happening to me also). And to Alex for a while.

Wonder why Geddy still hasen't expanded outward and inch. Next big craze: The Geddy Lee diet: Keep your weight down and have the energy to perform like that. Would make millions

QUOTE (NaturalScientist75 @ Sep 4 2010, 10:22 AM)
QUOTE (exiled yorkie @ Sep 4 2010, 09:14 AM)
Neil needs to stay off the pork pies, he is getting fat wink.gif (no seriously he is)

I did notice that. From where I was sitting I had a perfect view of the belly. Between moving around so much while playing and the sweat losss, you wouldn't think it would happen, but, oh well. Age (its happening to me also). And to Alex for a while.

Wonder why Geddy still hasen't expanded outward and inch. Next big craze: The Geddy Lee diet: Keep your weight down and have the energy to perform like that. Would make millions

eyesre4.gif

What an incredible night! I can never really give a review because after a Rush gig I'm pretty much reduced to senselessly babbling words like SO GREAT! AMAZING! LIFE-AFFIRMING! BEAUTIFUL! WONDERFUL! and HOW DO THEY DO THAT?!?! This was my 10th time seeing Rush since my first time at PNC in 2007, and even now that I know what greatness can be expected, I am still blown away every single time by just how great that greatness is! I can't express in words how much I love and admire this magical band, but perhaps you can see it in my dorky happy face in this picture:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x285/geddysmullet/PostPNC.jpg

That is ericplayzbass, his father Rich, myself, and little-known user Anthemic.

A big shout-out to the TRF tailgate gang for the food and friendliness, to Tarkus406 for the chairs, and most of all to Eric and Rich for hooking us up with that sweet spot on the lawn barrier, which gave us not just a great place to see and hear but great companions with whom to enjoy the show. Cool Rush fans make it EXTRA-special!

THANK YOU ALL wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

17,500 I think.

7,500 in seats, and AT LEAST 10k on the lawn.

edit: 11,550 or something total. or so my dad says.

Edited by ericplayzbass

QUOTE (ericplayzbass @ Sep 4 2010, 12:48 PM)
17,500 I think.

7,500 in seats, and AT LEAST 10k on the lawn.

edit: 11,550 or something total. or so my dad says.

Wow what an amazing show; still recovering.

It had to be close to a sell out if not so. Eric, nice meeting you very quickly before the show. By the time we got into the venue and got our chairs, it was getting pretty packed and we just picked the first good open spot in the middle. Not to mention that one person I was with was participating in extra curricular activities, so I didn't want to create an awkward situation for you and those around you.

About the show itself, I have to just mimic what others have said above: the boys were ON last night; much better than Camden. When it's the last night before a break in the tour schedule, bands either simply mail it in or they give it their all. Last night was the latter. You could tell they were having a great time up there. Bein a lawn dweller, I couldn't really see the details onstage, but I think during Subdivisions Alex had Neil cracking up.

Geddy's voice was the best I've heard in about 10 shows, as well as his playing. I though Neil's solo in Camden wasn't all that great, but last night's was good as hell. I though Alex played through his technical difficulties admirably and was otherwise on fire.

To those who said the show was marred with f**k ups must not be musicians because technical mishaps (guitar strings, guitar tech problems, in ear monitors, video screens going out) are not considered performance errors by the band. Besides Geddy sorta flubbing a line from Caravan, the performance was flawless from what I heard. Remember those train-wreck videos posted a couple weeks ago (I think from Red Rocks)....those are band f**k ups.

Honorable mention goes to Earl for deciding he had better places to be than the show (like the Atlantic Ocean). I'm lucky I've dodged two forecasted storms with my lawn seats (last night and Camden). The only rain we got was at around 6pm where it poured for about 5 minutes, if that.

I sure as hell hope someone filmed or recorded last night.

QUOTE (PanaceaFish @ Sep 4 2010, 04:02 PM)
QUOTE (ModernDayWarrior @ Sep 4 2010, 05:00 PM)
Don't worry, it was recorded.

Kewl, cos I'd sure love a copy of that! smile.gif

Me too. Some of the best I've ever seen them play. And a great audience that i think helped fuel what they did last night.

Absolutley loved it last night. Still a bit at a loss 'cos this has been planned for so long and has been such an experience coming all this way for one gig smile.gif it was all a bit too loud for my son even with ear plugs and defenders. He has seen his heroes now (me too). I just hope they come to Europe on the next tour. Couldn't fault the set list, I especially was glad to gear Time Stand Still.