Are you a Prog Rock snob?

Lost In Xanadu

On a scale of 1-5, how big of a Prog Rock snob are ya?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, how big of a Prog Rock snob are ya?

• 5. Prog rock, all the time... the rest can go to hell!
    • 3. Good music is good music, but my favorites are Prog.
    • 1. What? Rush is considered "Prog Rock"?

I picked number 3, but I may be closer to 2.5 wink.gif

I just posted an ABBA song and a Donna Summer song on my facebook page to give you an idea how diverse my musical interests are.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 1 2010, 09:48 AM)
I picked number 3, but I may be closer to 2.5 wink.gif

I just posted an ABBA song and a Donna Summer song on my facebook page to give you an idea how diverse my musical interests are.

I picked 3. My tastes are pretty diverse as well.

I voted #2 but I'd probably say somewhere around 2.5. I love the Prog rock of the 70's and I have quite a bit but I dont go out of my way to dig really deep into bands I'd never heard of (although I'd probably love 'em) and I dont feel like I hafta "complete the catalog" like I do with so many other of my faves. I have about 4 ELP's, 5 Yes, a bunch of Floyd, a few Genesis, etc... I dont need every album by every prog band in existence.

But I can totally understand if someone was a huge Prog fan because it's awesome music. Also me being a huge 70's Rush fan, I have prog rock roots that run very deep into my soul.

so actually there really isnt an answer to this poll that fits my current status with prog.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Sep 1 2010, 09:49 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 1 2010, 09:48 AM)
I picked number 3, but I may be closer to 2.5  wink.gif

I picked 3. My tastes are pretty diverse as well.

+1

I'd be a 3. LOVE prog music, but I really enjoy lots of other genres from classical to classic. I do, however, draw the line at country music. Cannot STAND the stuff, which makes living in Texas a little hellish. In that aspect, I'm a total snob.

Like all genres of popular music, there is good Prog rock and bad Prog rock. I like to think I like the good Prog rock. But, I pretty much like something from every genre of popular music. I echo the sentiment, "good music is good music."

I'm DEFINITELY a prog rock snob, and more specifically, a 70's prog rock snob!

I would have given myself a 5, but saying "Prog rock, all the time... the rest can go to hell!" was way too extreme, as I listen to plenty of other music that isn't prog. I gave myself a 4 just to fully acknowledge my progsnobbery. yes.gif

I voted 2. I'd say for awhile I was, shunning bands like AC/DC, Journey, Foreigner and the like (which were among the first groups I bought records of). But that was a just a phase, after which I re-embraced alot of those groups I liked in the early '80s. They just have good songs, something alot of bad "prog" bands struggle to come up with at times. The best ones like Yes, Rush, Tull, Floyd & Genesis always had great tunes to come back to.

I picked 4. which probably wasn't meant to be anything in particular, other than a 'space line' between selections of 5 and 3. I happen to be a FULL-ON Prog Snob...But, then again, I'm a ALSO a full-on Metal Snob, Jazz Snob and Classic ROCK Snob.

Meaning that I have a very distinct taste in each genre, and that taste usually equates with that which is FURTHEST from that mainstream, lowest common denominator formula...I'm naturally drawn to that which is musically sophsiticated, intellectual-minded and esoteric, of course, alwasy relative to the garbage which surrounds it...

The tendency was always there, even when I was younger and did listen to the radio freqently...In retrospect, I see that I always leaned towards the deeper, lengthier, non-conventional ideas whenever the presented themselves. I somehow was never able to concentrate long enough to ever become proficient in a musical instrument myself though.

AND, I CAN NOT understand those who aren't 'music snobs' themselves...because if you can't expressly delineate between which is of the highest possible caliber and what's the lowliest of the low, than how can you impress friends at dinner parties....Right?...and, more importantly, much more importantly, how can you feed your head?

Because I've found that musical snobbery is somewhat akin to drug addiction...The more sophisticated your diet grows, the more you need that next, higher rung up on the musical ladder to satiate your thirst... I need complex musical ideas like I need air, sun, food, iced tea, sunflower seeds and chemical enhancements...Like Grace Slick said, "Feed thy head. Feed your head".

2.5, I guess. I like some prog but I don't get off on it like HOLY SHIT THAT SONGS IN 19/8 or whatever. I'm not really into prog that much now, asides from the big two (Yes and Genesis). I've only got so much time and so much money to spend.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 1 2010, 05:07 PM)
I picked 4. which probably wasn't meant to be anything in particular, other than a 'space line' between selections of 5 and 3. I happen to be a FULL-ON Prog Snob...But, then again, I'm a ALSO a full-on Metal Snob, Jazz Snob and Classic ROCK Snob.

Meaning that I have a very distinct taste in each genre, and that taste usually equates with that which is FURTHEST from that mainstream, lowest common denominator formula...I'm naturally drawn to that which is musically sophsiticated, intellectual-minded and esoteric, of course, alwasy relative to the garbage which surrounds it...

The tendency was always there, even when I was younger and did listen to the radio freqently...In retrospect, I see that I always leaned towards the deeper, lengthier, non-conventional ideas whenever the presented themselves. I somehow was never able to concentrate long enough to ever become proficient in a musical instrument myself though.

AND, I CAN NOT understand those who aren't 'music snobs' themselves...because if you can't expressly delineate between which is of the highest possible caliber and what's the lowliest of the low, than how can you impress friends at dinner parties....Right?...and, more importantly, much more importantly, how can you feed your head?

Because I've found that musical snobbery is somewhat akin to drug addiction...The more sophisticated your diet grows, the more you need that next, higher rung up on the musical ladder to satiate your thirst... I need complex musical ideas like I need air, sun, food, iced tea, sunflower seeds and chemical enhancements...Like Grace Slick said, "Feed thy head. Feed your head".

Do you pretend to smoke a pipe and wear a scholarly corduroy blazer with elbow patches?

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 1 2010, 07:41 PM)
QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 1 2010, 05:07 PM)
I picked 4. which probably wasn't meant to be anything in particular, other than a 'space line' between selections of 5 and 3.  I happen to be a FULL-ON Prog Snob...But, then again, I'm a ALSO a full-on Metal Snob, Jazz Snob and Classic ROCK Snob.

The tendency was always there, even when I was younger and did listen to the radio freqently...In retrospect, I see that I always leaned towards the deeper, lengthier, non-conventional ideas whenever the presented themselves.  I somehow was never able to concentrate long enough to ever become proficient in a musical instrument myself though.

AND, I CAN NOT understand those who aren't 'music snobs' themselves...because if you can't expressly delineate between which is of the highest possible caliber and what's the lowliest of the low, than how can you impress friends at dinner parties....Right?...and, more importantly,  much more importantly, how can you feed your head?

Because I've found that musical snobbery is somewhat akin to drug addiction...The more sophisticated your diet grows, the more you need that next, higher rung up on the musical ladder to satiate your thirst... I need complex musical ideas like I need air, sun, food, iced tea, sunflower seeds and chemical enhancements...Like Grace Slick said, "Feed thy head.  Feed your head".

Do you pretend to smoke a pipe and wear a scholarly corduroy blazer with elbow patches?

rofl3.gif

also, @ locator: tl;dr.

Archived