Jumping The Shark, did Rush ever take the leap?

thelocator

During Which Era/Album Did Rush JUMP THE SHARK?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. During Which Era/Album Did Rush JUMP THE SHARK?

• Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Never

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sell out ? No. They did write some real bad songs however biggrin.gif

Nah...the band may have some peaks and valleys in terms of albums, but nothing was dire!

I think the diversity of their catalog (as evidenced by the thread that has you list your top to bottom favorite albums) is their charm! You see people all over the board with their preferences, which is cool!

I think the only way we'd see anything close to that is if they start bringing in popular contemporary outside players (sort of like Santana's Supernatural album) to make things different.

I think it was a long time comin' starting maybe possibly with Pew but you could say that about any album from PeW on up to maybe Counterparts.

I voted for PoW, even though their 80's sound was gradually beginning to take shape since MP or Signals, they took a major leap in that direction with PoW. "The Big Money"....nuf said.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Sep 1 2010, 08:51 AM)
Hmm...would the 2 people who chose HYF care to explain why they consider this to be the case?

Beacause it's watered down dog plop ? tongue.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Sep 1 2010, 09:51 AM)
Hmm...would the 2 people who chose HYF, and the 2 people who chose Presto care to explain why they consider this to be the case?

I'm curious! confused13.gif

They're not diverse in their musical interests.

I don't think Rush ever "jumped the shark". Obviously, they did change and try new things, but I don't think it was ever for the purpose of selling more records or getting more radio or MTV exposure. I think Rush's integrity has remained constant throughout their entire career, sometimes resulting in hits and sometimes resulting in misses. Yeah, their career batting average has declined, but not enough to say they lost it or sold out.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 1 2010, 09:23 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Sep 1 2010, 09:51 AM)
Hmm...would the 2 people who chose HYF, and the 2 people who chose Presto care to explain why they consider this to be the case?

I'm curious!  confused13.gif

They're not diverse in their musical interests.

I don't think that is the case. Some people just don't like Every album, that's all. I voted Never but i can't listen to that album. Far removed from the Rush i was used to hearing . Change is good , but that was a bit much for me. I have a huge volume of all types of music but when one of my fav bands does a 360 on me i am not that happy about it . I still went to see the tour because i am a huge fan but that album does zero for me, except Lock and Key

Yeah, I'd have to vote "never" as well.

Gotta admit, for about 2 seconds I was tempted to say Counterparts, but ONLY because it was a return to a heavier sound at a time when that heavier sound was back in vogue (Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, etc)....but to me that's just Rush putting some meat back on dem bones. Pun intended!

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

i think rush has always stayed true to their musical vision. i definitely have my favorite recordings which i think are better than others but they've never jumped the shark. this is why they are one of my favorite rock bands of all-time!

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 1 2010, 06:42 AM)
Sell out ? No. They did write some real bad songs however  biggrin.gif

THIS!

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 1 2010, 07:33 AM)
The Only song I can think of that would apply would be...

Roll the Bones!

And THIS!

While I don't believe they ever intentionally sold out, the song RTB was my subjective moment of jumping the shark for Rush, in that it actually turned me off of the band entirely for a couple of years. I didn't like the last two songs on HYF, thought Presto was mediocre, and then when I heard this song in the radio I really thought they lost it.

Ok, re-reading the wiki entry for jumping the shark, I'm going to say that while I don't think Rush ever intentionally sold out, for me they definitely jumped the shark with Presto, which was a sharp and noticeable drop in quality for them from everything that came before, and it's never been quite the same since. Counterparts was a very bright spot, and at least half of S&A was great too, but otherwise good songs have been few and far between.

Of their 18 studio albums, their post-HYF albums hold the #12 and #14 through #18 spots for me.

I'm confused by the wording of this. Did Rush ever jump the shark? You never unjump a shark. The person who coined the phrase said "It's a moment. A defining moment when you know that your favorite television program has reached its peak. That instant that you know from now on...it's all downhill." (Per the wiki link provided.) To say that Rush has jumped the shark means that you think one album was their last good one and everything since it has been worse. That might be what you're saying, but the inclusion of the word "ever" - and some of the responses here - make me think the question meant was "Has Rush ever put out anything that you didn't like for some reason?"

Jump The Shark no Jump The Dolphin close

Being in that shit movie I Love You Man

I have been to over 50 shows and I have never seen anybody come close to acting the way those 2 idiot main characters did at there concert.It made Rush and there fans look like airhead assholes

QUOTE (snowdog212 @ Sep 1 2010, 03:46 PM)
Jump The Shark no Jump The Dolphin close
Being in that shit movie I Love You Man
I have been to over 50 shows and I have never seen anybody come close to acting the way those 2 idiot main characters did at there concert.It made Rush and there fans look like airhead assholes

huh.gif