Best Porcupine Tree Album?

ericplayzbass

What is your favorite Porcupine Tree Album?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Porcupine Tree Album?

• On The Sunday of Life
    • Up The Downstair
    • The Sky Moves Sideways
    • Signify
    • Coma Divine - Recorded Live in Rome
    • Stupid Dream
    • Lightbulb Sun
    • In Absentia
    • Warszawa
    • Deadwing
    • Rockpalast
    • Fear of a Black Planet
    • The Incident
    • Atlanta

Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun and In Absentia make a GREAT trilogy.

Mick

I prefer Signify, Stupid, Lightbulb

If you pick tracks between Signify and Insignificance, you get a solid album.

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 1

Maitland fan here. Prefer their earlier stuff over the Gavin-era any day. Well, In Absentia and The Incident are really good, but they can't hold up to classics like Signify, TSMS or Lightbulb Sun imho. Their best? Without a doubt Stupid Dream.

I don't own anything pre Stupid Dream (Signify is on my shopping list), but of the albums I own I would have to go with Deadwing by a small margin. It was the first PT album I bought and it remains special for me. Arriving Somewhere blew my mind the first time I heard it and I have been mildly completely obsessed by this band ever since.

Ultimately I actually prefer Lightbulb Sun through Blank Planet. I like bits and pieces of preceding material, but their pre-Signify ambient stuff is for someone else.

Sky Moves is amazing. Just a hair under In Absentia. Two sides of he same coin. In Absentia has the benefit of a stable band working out ideas while Sky Moves is the culmination of the early more ambient psychedelic PT.

So its a bit like comparing Holy Grail and Life of Brian. Both great but for different reasons.

1. Fear of A Blank Planet/Nil Recurring

2. Deadwing

3. In Abesntia

4. The Incident

5. Lightbulb Sun

Those are my top 5 in order. The top 3 IMO are absolute required, must have PT classics. And don't forget about Nil Reccuring (which is why it is right there with FOABP) which was recorded during the FOABP sessions. It is an amazing companion piece to that album and has incredible tuff front to back on it.

PT is a wonderful band and my second fav all time next to Rush.

FoaBP for me. Yes, it got me in to them because of the Alex cameo.

And yes, I need to listen to the entire catalog more (good problem to have).

But especially the 5.1 version of FoaBP kicks all kinds of ass. The Incident and Stupid Dream are pretty high up there too.

Wholey Schnikes! Does this topic really have 5 year staying power? Awesome...

If the o.p. is still looking, I suggest that there are two eras of the band and picking a "best" from each era might help get things started. I think In Absentia is the beginning of the "modern" era and then there was everything before that. My vote for the modern P.T. "best" was for The Incident but Deadwing a close second for me and Fear of a Blank Planet is spectacular as well. I like Stupid Dream from the early days but I'm much less familiar with all of the earlier albums than In Absentia and newer. It really is all quite amazing, so pick one, listen, pick another and repeat. Rock on!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/Porcupine%20Tree%208_11_2010%20The%20Warfield/StevenWilson1.jpg

Edited by Huge Ackman