40 yr old virgin

tkdryan

I'm trying to find Steve Carell funny. I just can't, so far. In small doses he's okay, but that's it.

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 2 2010, 08:59 AM)
I'm trying to find Steve Carell funny. I just can't, so far. In small doses he's okay, but that's it.

I honestly can't stand Steve Carell in The Office (I really hate that show). It's because his character is just an embarrassment to himself. And typically I find I shy away from characters who are there for the purpose of getting themselves into very uncomfortable situations. It's just not for me.

But Carell, the actor, is hysterical. The 40 yr. old virgin is one of those rare movies that I had to keep hitting the pause button because I was laughing too hard and missing what was happening. Every person in that movie was hilarious in their roles.

From everything I've heard/read about the chest waxing scene, it was real. And I would imagine the pain he was in during that scene was very real, too. His reactions were a riot, and you could 'feel' how much it had to hurt.

To this day...one of my all-time favourite movies! Carell, and the rest of the crew were GOLD.

I watched it in the theatre when it was first released, and spent the entire movie laughing. It was like every scene had something really funny in it...great, great comedy!

It's a movie I can keep watching, and still laugh. Awesome...I hope he has more movies that are this funny!

QUOTE (Pags @ Aug 2 2010, 10:43 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 2 2010, 08:59 AM)
I'm trying to find Steve Carell funny.  I just can't, so far.  In small doses he's okay, but that's it.

I honestly can't stand Steve Carell in The Office (I really hate that show). It's because his character is just an embarrassment to himself. And typically I find I shy away from characters who are there for the purpose of getting themselves into very uncomfortable situations. It's just not for me.

I agree with Pags too...I can't get into The Office at all. I just don't get much humour from it. But yeah...his movies are outstanding. He is a really funny guy in film.

QUOTE (raptorcox @ Aug 2 2010, 07:48 AM)
Watched that myself last night close to midnight.. funny, funny stuff

I was watching it on USA last night. OMg thats the best scene. z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 2 2010, 05:59 AM)

Try the movie Dan in Real Life - more of a drama than comedy, but it has a lot of funny parts in it - a really great movie and shows that he can really act.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 2 2010, 01:11 AM)
Yes, his real hair and his blood, too.

Yikes. As a woman who only waxes her eyebrows, I can't imagine how that must have felt. huh.gif

I agree though- I don't find Steve Carell that funny. I used to, but then realized he is always the same.

Great, hysterical movie that I can watch a million times. I was just thinking about it again yesterday.

Andy Stitzer: You guys, she's picking me up in an hour.

David: Oh, drag, dude.

Cal: She's picking you up from here?

Andy Stitzer: Yeah.

Cal: That's f*cked up, man.

Andy Stitzer: Why?

Cal: Why? Seriously. I mean, look at this place, man. You gotta see this through the eyes of a woman, you know? What is she going to think when she comes in here? Look. He's got a billion toys.

Andy Stitzer: So what?

Cal: And more video games than a teenaged Asian kid.

Andy Stitzer: Okay.

Cal: [Pointing to an action figure on a shelf] Is that the Six Million Dollar Man's boss?

Andy Stitzer: That's Oscar Goldman.

Cal: Why do you have that?

Andy Stitzer: That's worth a lot of money. That's much more valuable than Steve Austin.

Cal: Well, that may be the case. But none of this shit is sexy, okay?

Andy Stitzer: I'm not trying to be sexy, man.

Cal: [Pointing to a framed poster] I mean, seriously, Asia? You framed an Asia poster? How hard did the people at the frame store laugh when you brought this in?

Andy Stitzer: They did not laugh at me.

David: Know why you're gay? Because you like Asia.

Andy Stitzer: You guys cool it with the gay. You know, she's on her way over here, okay?

Cal: First, you relax, okay?

Andy Stitzer: Just stop calming me down and tell me what I should do.

Cal: Okay, we just take everything that's embarrassing and we move it out of here so it doesn't look like you live in Neverland Ranch.

[Trish shows up at Andy's door and the entire apartment looks abandoned]

Cal: I just want you to know this is, like, the first conversation of, like, three conversations that leads to you being gay. Like, there's this, and then in a year it's like, "Oh, you know, I'm kinda gonna want to get back out there, but I think I like guys," and then there's the big, "Oh, I'm... I'm... I'm a gay guy now."

There is an extra in the DVD I think that shows the waxing part from outside the cameras so yes, it is real. Carrell watches it back afterwards and note "Got, I am SO HAIRY" LOL!!

That film is great.

The Office is annoying. I hate how they talk to the cameras -- or look at them occasionally -- during scenes, like a reality show, but it's not. The concept of the show is funny and I can relate to some of the episodes but the way it is filmed and presented drives me batty enough to not watch it regularly.

I really hate and do not condone "gay" jokes but the part where they go "You know how I know you're gay? You like ASIA" after talking about his Asia (band) poster. It's all in the way it's delivered and it makes me laugh every time! rofl3.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Aug 12 2010, 11:20 AM)
Give it up for Jane Lynch too; that's the first I remember seeing her in anything and she's great in this movie!

I've seen her in a lot of things - mostly the Christopher Guest movies (Best in Show, A Mighty Wind, etc.) - but never have I seen her this funny. She's great, especially the two scenes where she offers herself to virgin Andy as a "F*ck Buddy." laugh.gif