Mike Portnoy at KC show

OldRod

I was sitting 4 seats away from Mike Portnoy tonight at the KC show. I saw him sit down and thought it looked like him, but I wasn't sure. Then during intermission some people started talking to him and he graciously agreed to let people have some pics with him.

I got one with him, but I can't post it until I get home and can download it off my camera. He was so nice to the people asking for pics and autographs, and he never turned anyone down. It was great to see him air-drumming with the rest of us smile.gif

QUOTE (OldRod @ Jul 2 2010, 01:05 AM)
I was sitting 4 seats away from Mike Portnoy tonight at the KC show. I saw him sit down and thought it looked like him, but I wasn't sure. Then during intermission some people started talking to him and he graciously agreed to let people have some pics with him.

I got one with him, but I can't post it until I get home and can download it off my camera. He was so nice to the people asking for pics and autographs, and he never turned anyone down. It was great to see him air-drumming with the rest of us smile.gif

Nice!

Here's the pic guys. My 2 favorite drumheroes.

Steve

Quote MP:

"Not only is Neil Peart an exceptional drummer and an inspirational human being, he is an incredibly gracious host! A big thank you to Bubba for his generous hospitality and the royal treatment he gave to me and Marlene at Rush's show tonight in Kansas City...I am humbled to have developed a friendship with one of my childhood heroes..."

http://i49.tinypic.com/29p45r5.jpg

Edited by StevesRush

QUOTE (StevesRush @ Jul 2 2010, 03:13 AM)
Here's the pic guys. My 2 favorite drumheroes.

Steve

Quote MP:
"Not only is Neil Peart an exceptional drummer and an inspirational human being, he is an incredibly gracious host! A big thank you to Bubba for his generous hospitality and the royal treatment he gave to me and Marlene at Rush's show tonight in Kansas City...I am humbled to have developed a friendship with one of my childhood heroes..."

http://i49.tinypic.com/29p45r5.jpg

SWEET pic!!!!!!! yes.gif applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I wish I could have been there!!!!!!! yes.gif wink.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (OldRod @ Jul 2 2010, 01:05 AM)

That is awesome! 1022.gif

Portnoy is definitely a guy who embraces his fan base. He interacts with his fans a lot on his message board.

QUOTE (OldRod @ Jul 2 2010, 12:05 AM)

trink39.gif Great story!

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 2 2010, 08:47 AM)
Must have been invited. He's said he doesnt like any Rush after MP.

No, actually what he said was, he didn't like the synth era. That ended 20 years ago. He never spoke of the 90's and beyond. He see's Rush live every tour. and umm, they are playing to whole Moving Pictures album this tour so it kind of makes your post a bit senseless?

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 2 2010, 07:51 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 2 2010, 08:47 AM)
Must have been invited. He's said he doesnt like any Rush after MP.

No, actually what he said was, he didn't like the synth era. That ended 20 years ago. He never spoke of the 90's and beyond. He see's Rush live every tour. and umm, they are playing to whole Moving Pictures album this tour so it kind of makes your post a bit senseless?

Im talking about on mikeportnoy.com. He posts there often in the message boards with the fans and they talk about Rush. He doesnt listen to any rush after MP.

He may have the albums but he's said he doesnt listen to them.

I can understand Portnoy not listening to Presto, Power Windows, Hold your fire etc and get why he doesn't like them, but I wonder what he thinks of the more recent harder rock albums like Vapor Trails, snakes & arrows, Caravan & BU2B?

I bet he listens and likes them and future material with Rush back on the heavier and more progressive track.

QUOTE (The Main Monkey Business @ Jul 2 2010, 08:15 AM)
I can understand Portnoy not listening to Presto, Power Windows, Hold your fire etc and get why he doesn't like them, but I wonder what he thinks of the more recent harder rock albums like Vapor Trails, snakes & arrows, Caravan & BU2B?

I bet he listens and likes them and future material with Rush back on the heavier and more progressive track.

He may like them, whos knows, I just know that about 5 years ago he answered some questions on his site about rush saying he didnt listen to anything after MP.

That may not include VT though because he did write something about that for Rush in Japan I believe.

QUOTE (TheBluePhoenix @ Jul 2 2010, 08:51 AM)
I'm happy for Mike. I can only imagine how cool it is to actually have become friends with your childhood idol.

Did he mention if Neil let him play on his kit?

Hehe, I would NOT put any money on that one. MP is a very hard playing drummer, he would beat that set up in a short time, why risk the wear and tear?

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Jul 2 2010, 12:20 PM)
MP is cool. Another guy who gets a lot of hate that I don't understand.

Yeah, I have a lot of respect for Mike. I was actually thinking of pulling down the link. I read a few comments on MP forum that said they felt this clip was "stalking" MP. I can see their point to an extent but guess i will let it stay as he was already getting photographed in the first place and all you see is the back of his head in the rest. I guess if you Tweet that you be at the show, you sort of have to expect something like this?