Katy Perry

Tick

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 24 2010, 04:34 PM)
Metallica's appreciation for the Avril Lavigne cover of their song "Fuel" was called one of the most "Un-Metal" moments in Rock History.  But we're supposed to all appreciate Katy Perry's homage to Rush????  At least Lavigne was somewhat rockin'.

Just sayin'.

http://www.picshag.com/pics/032010/gimme-fue-gimme-fai.jpg

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 24 2010, 03:40 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 24 2010, 04:37 PM)
http://www.picshag.com/pics/032010/gimme-fue-gimme-fai.jpg

z7shysterical.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/laughing.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 24 2010, 04:34 PM)
WATCH MY f***ing MOVIE!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpl7CQFBNYc

Whoa! Wasn't expecting the YouTube link! laugh.gif

That was fast - can't watch at work, but will check this out at home!

There's no way in hell that this was Katy Perry's idea. 10 bucks says she can't even pronounce the title 'Cygnus'. Therefore, I now find this a valid video of some dudes who just like to jam out to a little Rush every now and then. So yes, I have found a way to appreciate this. I just wish they would start their own band instead of playing with this joke of a singer.

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Jun 24 2010, 05:19 PM)
There's no way in hell that this was Katy Perry's idea. 10 bucks says she can't even pronounce the title 'Cygnus'. Therefore, I now find this a valid video of some dudes who just like to jam out to a little Rush every now and then. So yes, I have found a way to appreciate this.

There you go! biggrin.gif

I just wish they would start their own band instead of playing with this joke of a singer.

Everybody's gotta eat and pay bills. Those musicians aren't playing in Katy Perry's band because they love her music -- they're doing it because it's work. This is what they do for a living.

On the side, sure, they might get together and jam on Rush or other cool songs, but they know they won't put food on the table playing in a tribute band.

Put it this way: Given a choice of jobs, would you rather work in a bank and have to wear a stupid tie every day, or be a touring musician playing pop music?

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 24 2010, 12:00 PM)
Don't ask me why but I caught some of Katy Perry performing on Palladia(I can't resist a hottie)
She performed her hit, "I Kissed A Girl" and my jaw dropped at what happened at the end of the song. Thanks to You tube I am able to share what happened as the song concluded. ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif

If you watch this video all the way through you may have a heart attack at the ending. I nearly did!
I recommend watching the entire thing for the true shock value.(and because Katy Perry is hot)
Be sure to watch it in hi def. atickhum.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crOn6Ywqlso

wtf.gif wtf.gif

I had to watch that whole video just to hear the nod to Rush??

rage.gif admin.gif banghead.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 24 2010, 05:30 PM)
There's no way in hell that this was Katy Perry's idea. 10 bucks says she can't even pronounce the title 'Cygnus'. Therefore, I now find this a valid video of some dudes who just like to jam out to a little Rush every now and then. So yes, I have found a way to appreciate this.

I just wish they would start their own band instead of playing with this joke of a singer.

Everybody's gotta eat and pay bills. Those musicians aren't playing in Katy Perry's band because they love her music -- they're doing it because it's work. This is what they do for a living.

On the side, sure, they might get together and jam on Rush or other cool songs, but they know they won't put food on the table playing in a tribute band.

Put it this way: Given a choice of jobs, would you rather work in a bank and have to wear a stupid tie every day, or be a touring musician playing pop music?

I'd work in a bank. That's just me though.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 24 2010, 05:33 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 24 2010, 05:30 PM)

I'd work in a bank. That's just me though.

I should have qualified that with, "If you have the talent to be a professional musician, and had a choice of jobs..." I was speaking for the guys in Katy's band, or any pop band. I don't think they'd rather work in a bank.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 24 2010, 04:30 PM)

Maybe if they do join the tribute circuit you can get the katy Perry gig for yourself...

wink.gif tongue.gif

Playing in pop bands is a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it!

To be honest, I'd rather work in a bank. I plan on making a career in the music biz (whether in production or performing) and I wouldn't want people to remember me as "That guy from Katy Perry's band". There's no way people would take me as a serious rock musician if I had that on my resume!

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Jun 24 2010, 05:53 PM)

To be honest, I'd rather work in a bank. I plan on making a career in the music biz (whether in production or performing) and I wouldn't want people to remember me as "That guy from Katy Perry's band". There's no way people would take me as a serious rock musician if I had that on my resume!

You're wrong about that last part. They would see that on your resume and watch clips of you in Katy's band and say, "This guy can play rock and is good enough to play in a touring band and get paid for it." It may not be as "cool" as playing Rush-type music, but it's a good resume item for a professional guitarist.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 24 2010, 06:00 PM)
QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Jun 24 2010, 05:53 PM)

You're wrong about that last part. They would see that on your resume and watch clips of you in Katy's band and say, "This guy can play rock and is good enough to play in a touring band and get paid for it." It may not be as "cool" as playing Rush-type music, but it's a good resume item for a professional guitarist.

I have to agree. There's a niche for really good session musicians. Many of these guys are held in pretty high regard. Drummer Gary Wallis (has toured with Pink Floyd, among others) comes immediately to mind.

Edited by Mara

I'm not 'wrong' on that last part, its just how I see things. Rush have been my role models for a good while now and seeing how they rarely compromise their integrity (they blew off the friggin' olympics due to lip-synching...or so I hear) I also refuse to soil my name. I'd never want to be associated with a pop act. Now that's just me, I'm sure there are others who would jump at the chance to get paid for playing music even if it was with Katy Perry. But thats...just not for me. Rush aren't sell outs, and neither am I.

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jun 24 2010, 11:32 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 24 2010, 01:13 PM)
QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jun 24 2010, 11:07 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Jun 24 2010, 12:28 PM)
QUOTE (Victoria's Ladder @ Jun 24 2010, 01:25 PM)
Here is her cover of Don't stop me now.. I kinda like it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkPwqIVzDrI&feature=related

I love that Queen song! She does not sing all that well, but she exudes charisma.

No...in fact, I think she is a horrible singer. I couldn't listen that that horrible song anymore, so I just let it load, then skipped to the end. Nice find, though. Shows how much influence Rush has in the music business!

She must be a "studio singer" then. Her voice didn't sound that good live, but she certainly does have talent.

By "talent," do you mean a good body?

Because all I see is some horrible singer prancing around in very little clothing. Maybe I need to hear more of her stuff to really be a good judge, but that song makes me throw up in my mouth. 062802puke_prv.gif

That's a good point. Physically she does have talent.

I guess "talent" is the wrong word to use.

She must have a good agent then or something because her pop tunes are all over the radio and XM.

My girls love Katy. They are 13 and 9. My wife Wendy loves her too though. She's 36. Heck, Wendy is brainwashed by the kids music in general. She prefers it over the prog and metal I listen too.

Luckily Wendy likes Rush and Porcupine Tree.

Ironically Wendy and I are taking the girls to see Rush next week in New Mexico.

Zoe the 13 year old went to the S&A Tour and hated it.

But this will be Skylar's first time, she is 9 and likes to "rock" more so I think she will enjoy it.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 24 2010, 03:07 PM)
Greg Howe did work as Justin Timberlake's touring guitarist and he's a fine axeman...

cool.gif

That is excellent knowledge. Greg Howe is an awesome guitarist.

Justin should stick to acting. wacko.gif

Signed,

"Alpha Dog"

Katy and her band are ridiculous. Just because they covered Rush doesn't make them any better, if anything it plummets them down even lower.

This is just like when Miley Cyrus rode around on her bike wearing an Iron Maiden shirt. Iron Maiden fans weren't jumping up and down saying: "oh boy oh boy! Miley likes Iron Maiden so I like her now teehee!" they were saying: "that stupid b*tch, how disgraceful."

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 24 2010, 05:16 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 24 2010, 03:07 PM)
Greg Howe did work as Justin Timberlake's touring guitarist and he's a fine axeman...

cool.gif

That is excellent knowledge. Greg Howe is an awesome guitarist.

Justin should stick to acting. wacko.gif

Signed,

"Alpha Dog"

Greg has also filled in for Jennifer Batten in Michael Jackoff's band and toured Europe with Enrique Iglesias...