Rush Doc left more unanswered questions than Lost!

Star Taker

Just Kidding! tongue.gif

But seriously, I have never read any of the "bio" books, so I learned a ton from the doc... I do still wonder about a few things:

Why did Geddy switch from guitar to bass?

How did they hook up with Hugh to do the album art?

Did any of the members of Rush actually "harass" and or sabotage the Runways or is that story BS?

Now that they have moved past the heavy keyboard phase are they open to ever working with Terry Brown again?

Are there any unreleased tracks from previous sessions that might be released one day?

Answer mine or add your own questions... I need answers damn it! just kidding again! but seriously....

QUOTE (Star Taker @ Jun 11 2010, 05:13 PM)
Did any of the members of Rush actually "harass" and or sabotage the Runways or is that story BS?

I don't buy the Runaways version of the story...

It seems like UFO had some fun with RUSH...I think the Runaways were just too insecure.

If they had answered every question that every Rush fan could think up, the documentary would have been six hours long.

Not that there would have been anything wrong with that..... tongue.gif

Are there any unreleased tracks from previous sessions that might be released one day?

Nope, Rush doesn't keep or release any old unused recordings

This question been asked of them about 1000 times including most recently during their interview on The Hour a couple weeks ago when they clearly said there isn't anything to release. Songs that they didn't like were simply thrown out and abandoned. I have no reason to doubt them. Now, if you're talking about demo versions of songs that are on albums or maybe alternate guitar solos and such then that's possible but totally unused songs? No way.

The Runaways story is not impossible but it's completely inconsistent with every other anecdote I've ever heard or read about bands that have toured with Rush. Everybody else has raved about how much Rush would do to help opening bands. Rush themselves complained about the same bad treatment with Aerosmith in the 70s so I doubt they'd do it to anyone else. Certainly not intentionally.

QUOTE (GotRush @ Jun 11 2010, 06:37 PM)

That's not precisely what they've said. Geddy has said that they don't have any unreleased B-sides (i.e. finished songs). Basically everything either gets incorporated into finished songs or abandoned in the writing stage.

They would certainly have kept demos of songs, and this is supported by the PW demos that were unearthed a few years ago.

Peace,

Ron

QUOTE (hazlnut @ Jun 11 2010, 06:31 PM)

It seems like UFO had some fun with RUSH...I think the Runaways were just too insecure.

just doesn't seem like something they would do, but then again at the time they were like what 19 or 20?

Either way, what a bummer getting stuck with the Runaways as an opener... UFO with Schenker! now you are talking.

QUOTE (Bustersit @ Jun 11 2010, 06:40 PM)
Was the DOCUMENTARY good? Im dying to see it. Whats the deal? Do they play lots of music.

Thanks new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The doc was really well done (as opposed to medium/rare). Very good pacing to it...songs from the Rutsey years all the way up to VT, mostly just short snippets of the songs though. It will be on VH1 in a couple of weeks (check your local listings)

I missed the showing last night, sadly - I didn't think I could beat traffic from downtown Atl. So I am seriously getting excited about the DVD.

I have not seen/heard of any Rush fan who didn't absolutely love this.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 11 2010, 10:12 PM)
I missed the showing last night, sadly - I didn't think I could beat traffic from downtown Atl. So I am seriously getting excited about the DVD.

It's really funny and entertaining. I can't wait to see the dvd extras too.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jun 12 2010, 03:32 AM)
QUOTE (quickfree @ Jun 11 2010, 04:26 PM)
Will Alex use the Gibson ES-335 Explorer on any other songs in the future? Like Stupidconductor?

I just love the White Gibson Explorer. Should be played on all songs from now on.

Telecaster be damned.

huh.gif

cool10.gif

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/2/4/1/536241.jpg

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 11 2010, 06:42 PM)

This question been asked of them about 1000 times including most recently during their interview on The Hour a couple weeks ago when they clearly said there isn't anything to release. Songs that they didn't like were simply thrown out and abandoned. I have no reason to doubt them. Now, if you're talking about demo versions of songs that are on albums or maybe alternate guitar solos and such then that's possible but totally unused songs? No way.

The Runaways story is not impossible but it's completely inconsistent with every other anecdote I've ever heard or read about bands that have toured with Rush. Everybody else has raved about how much Rush would do to help opening bands. Rush themselves complained about the same bad treatment with Aerosmith in the 70s so I doubt they'd do it to anyone else. Certainly not intentionally.

There's a demo version of Power Windows album here :

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EN4CNGUD

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZZ677UD9

QUOTE (hazlnut @ Jun 11 2010, 07:31 PM)

I heard a radio interview with Robin Zander of Cheap Trick saying he did not care for his time touring with Rush either.

QUOTE (Ron2112 @ Jun 11 2010, 05:04 PM)

That's not precisely what they've said. Geddy has said that they don't have any unreleased B-sides (i.e. finished songs). Basically everything either gets incorporated into finished songs or abandoned in the writing stage.

They would certainly have kept demos of songs, and this is supported by the PW demos that were unearthed a few years ago.

Peace,

Ron

This whole topic has me puzzled. I heard what Geddy said on the hour but several years ago Alex said he found a box with tapes and such in his house when he was moving.

He stated he didn't know whether they were any good and he'd have to borrow equipment to play them. There was a thread about this on another board, and if I remember right Alex's interview was in print. I'll have to see if I can find it.

As for Ged changing to bass, that happened early on. Once he joined up with Alex they needed a bass player so he switched.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 11 2010, 08:12 PM)

The only theater this was playing in was out east from me and we were pelted the last two days with hail and tornado warnings. It was much worse near the airport where it's open space, which is where the movie was playing.

So, now I wait for VH1 or DVD.

Wish they would have added an additional show like the Canucks got.

2.gif

QUOTE (RUDT @ Jun 12 2010, 04:52 AM)

great find... thanks!

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Jun 12 2010, 01:04 PM)
QUOTE (Ron2112 @ Jun 11 2010, 05:04 PM)

Peace,

Ron

This whole topic has me puzzled. I heard what Geddy said on the hour but several years ago Alex said he found a box with tapes and such in his house when he was moving.

He stated he didn't know whether they were any good and he'd have to borrow equipment to play them. There was a thread about this on another board, and if I remember right Alex's interview was in print. I'll have to see if I can find it.

As for Ged changing to bass, that happened early on. Once he joined up with Alex they needed a bass player so he switched.

I figured if you record that many albums there has to be a bunch of stuff somewhere... I also heard the soundcheck jam with Billy Sheehan (Alex seems to have some fun just shedding it up)

As for Geddy I figured it was either simply they needed a bass player OR he heard some Who or early Yes and wanted to switch. Does anyone know the first bass he bought/played?

QUOTE (Star Taker @ Jun 12 2010, 02:25 PM)
QUOTE (RUDT @ Jun 12 2010, 04:52 AM)

great find... thanks!

Not demos. Soundcheck.

He was talking about old live audio from the Rutsey days, that's what he found and he said they would have to work to even make them playable. Obviously there's tons of live audio around but that's not what the question was, it was concerning unreleased studio work.

Not demos. Soundcheck.

I didn't download those links because if it's what I think it is I've already had them since they were discovered. So, if it's what I think it is it's absolutely early studio demos, not soundcheck.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The lost Power Windows demo tape

In my last updates post I'd mentioned how a lost demo tape of Power Windows had found its way into the hands of some member of the Counterparts message board recently. It all started earlier this month when Counterpeep UltimoGuitarist announced the existence of this tape. After much vetting and discussion it was ultimately determined to be legit. MitA then obtained a copy of the tape and converted the songs to mp3 over the last week. Here they are for your enjoyment. You can download them via the provided links or just use the player below.

http://www.rushisaband.com/display.php?id=1341

Just ask Marillion about the 83 tour when they supported Rush, i think they would disagree

Archived