Considering BU2B, Does NP believe in himself...

osage2112

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Dave @Lakeside @ Jun 10 2010, 12:01 PM)
Yes Neil is angry. He has a right to be. BU2B seem related to Faithless- could be a part two.

angry at a God who doesn't exist? lol

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jun 10 2010, 12:10 PM)
QUOTE (Dave @Lakeside @ Jun 10 2010, 12:01 PM)
Yes Neil is angry. He has a right to be. BU2B  seem related to Faithless- could be a part two.

angry at a God who doesn't exist? lol

we'll all find out one day that's for sure.

What I find astounding about our world is people get really upset if you don't believe in a higher power. All of our wars over our history have been about this concept of who's g-d is the way to follow.

Where the f**k is written that you must fall in line with this thinking?

I personaly believe in G-d (not orgainized religon which is a money sucking scam)....but I don't believe in making other people have to follow what I believe in. Not only that, if someone does not believe in G-D does it really make them less of a human being? In my book no. Being a good human being is being able to be tolerant. It is what seperates us from the wild beasts. Yet we have millions of humans who act like animals.

Neil is not a religous man, does not believe in g-d and is right now in a phase of deep reflection about what all this means in the universe. When you lose a wife and daughter....you never...I mean never get over it.

I will choose freewill.

I understand losing your entire family in the span of a year must be devastating, and I'm sure he will always carry that pain. But on the other hand, he has a new wife and a new child... doesn't that count for anything? I hope he doesn't treat them the way he does the rest of the world lol

The separation he has for strangers and friends is impressive.

I've heard of societies where the men are sadistic warriors away from home, and the most tender fathers when home.

Not quite the same for NP...but his separation is sooooo strong...it must be uniquely him.

But back to the topic...I believe:

NP does not trust GOD, he believes he exists, but he has zero faith in him. As he said...if NP led the life he had: caring father, supportive husband, good friend (to some), and faithful nurturer...then why were two deaths visited upon him? So ultimately, NP believes in NP, and besides the friends he ALLOWED to help him through his grief...no one and nothing else can really help him...that is, unless NP allows them to help NP.*

Feels great to be a fan right about now.

But like I said...I appreciate the time he gives to a craft he loves.

NP is the Job of our times...and I hope his rewards are many, that is, as soon as he starts finding happy poems in his heart.

*We're waiting patiently!

Rock on NP.

Osage

I think he's gone overboard trying to make a point of his disatisfaction with the powers that be, assuming for his part that they/he exist. Clearly he does beleive, and suggesting "the watchmaker loves us to death" indicates a hatred or least grudge against the one(s) who set our path or guide us. I don't buy the other poster's position that it could mean our parents etc. Clearly he means an omnipotent being that has power over us.

I yearn for the days of his Randian philosophy of Godlessness vs. his disdain for God. Really, which is worse? To beleive in God and blame/loathe his existence or to not acknowldedge the theoretical power exists. The former imparts a deep bitterness has grown and he's searching for some one to blame.

I would think his earlier beliefs would have led him to the fact that sh1t happens to good people and there is no one to blame, except for genetics, poor driving skills etc.

On a philosophical note, many believe the tragedies in our lives can also lead to good things. He HAS found a new love who hopefully will be more than he could have ever hoped (or even prayed) for.

FOr me, the dissappointment is that RUSH always was a positive influence with no negativity. Always a make your own life, do good for others, beleive in yourself and your risks will be rewarded mentality. Now we get a 'God wants you to die a miserable death' attitude.

my .02

fwiw, i like the two new songs A LOT.

J Rutsey...thanks for the post.

I'll have to look into that author.

Osage

I feel that Neil's lyrics don't necessarily reflect his personal beliefs. Some songs certainly do but in the case of BU2B he may simply be speaking from another point of view. Neil is obviously a smart guy and I'm sure he recognizes the value and importance of seeing an issue from the opposing point of view. Maybe he realized how hard he was on religion on S&A and decided that on the next album he would explore the subject from the other side.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 2 2010, 04:30 PM)
I think it's safe to say that he doesn't have faith in faith and he doesn't believe in belief. You can call him faithless if you want to, but he still clings to hope and he believes in love. I believe, as far as I can tell, that's faith enough for him.

I would also venture to say that he doesn't believe in destiny or the guiding hand of fate. He doesn't believe in forever or love as a mystical state. He doesn't believe in the stars or the planets or angels watching from above, but it's quite obvious, to me anyway, that he believes there's a ghost of a chance he can find someone to love and make it last.

I dunno dude. I think you're going way out on a limb there.

QUOTE (Joshua @ Jun 11 2010, 06:52 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 2 2010, 04:30 PM)
I think it's safe to say that he doesn't have faith in faith and he doesn't believe in belief.  You can call him faithless if you want to, but he still clings to hope and he believes in love.  I believe, as far as I can tell, that's faith enough for him.

I would also venture to say that he doesn't believe in destiny or the guiding hand of fate.  He doesn't believe in forever or love as a mystical state.  He doesn't believe in the stars or the planets or angels watching from above, but it's quite obvious, to me anyway, that he believes there's a ghost of a chance he can find someone to love and make it last.

I dunno dude. I think you're going way out on a limb there.

Well it's just my opinion. wink.gif

Sorry, one last thought. On the line, "our loving watchmaker, loves us all to death", "I" then to think of people like the muslim terrorists that are willing to die and murder in the process so that their "loving watchmaker" will give them a slew of virgins in heaven. So, "loving them death" in that manner, not your normal run of the mill Christian that simply has good intentions a good heart.

Okay doing work around the house and still had this on my mind. I am only posting my opinions because I hate to see so many dismayed Rush fans over lyrics. If you don't like them fine, but it's not a reason to shut them out. Hell, I like bands like Kansas that sing a more Christian themed lyric, and Ted Nugent that sings, "Wang dang, sweet pootang" or Buffett and his whole crazy lyric ensemble.

Rush, musically kicks ass on it's own if you don't know the lyrics or don't care about them.

:insertabunchofkickasssmileythingies:

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 2 2010, 05:22 PM)
QUOTE (SpiritOfRush @ Jun 2 2010, 04:21 PM)
I don't think it's so much a hate or anger but more of a questioning or opinion.

+ 1

+2 ...and you cannot judge someone who has lost what he has lost.

There is a part of me that wishes Neil was more agnostic, rather than the aetheist that he clearly is.

I'm agnostic, meaning that I believe that the nature of the universe is unknowable. I dont worship god, but I wont deny that there is one either, since there is no way for me to know something like that.

But Neil is a smart guy, but its tough for me to view him as intelligent as he seems to think he is when he is so sure of something our little minds are not meant to understand. The fact that he's spend decades bitching about this makes him look like a child pounding his fist trying to convince us all he is right.

I cant relate to anyone that says that they know there isnt a god, even if you dont believe in a god, you dont know that there isnt one. Maybe all of the planets and stars are just cells within an impossibly large cosmic cow that isnt even aware of us? Seems to me like Neil never really considered this, and is stuck in his own one-sided beliefs, and I think as hard as he tried to look intelligent, at the same time he looks like an idiot.

I have a lot of respect for him musically and his ability to write lyrics, but at the same time I really dont believe he is brightest guy in the world.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 11 2010, 08:51 PM)
There is a part of me that wishes Neil was more agnostic, rather than the aetheist that he clearly is.

I'm agnostic, meaning that I believe that the nature of the universe is unknowable. I dont worship god, but I wont deny that there is one either, since there is no way for me to know something like that.

But Neil is a smart guy, but its tough for me to view him as intelligent as he seems to think he is when he is so sure of something our little minds are not meant to understand. The fact that he's spend decades bitching about this makes him look like a child pounding his fist trying to convince us all he is right.

I cant relate to anyone that says that they know there isnt a god, even if you dont believe in a god, you dont know that there isnt one. Maybe all of the planets and stars are just cells within an impossibly large cosmic cow that isnt even aware of us? Seems to me like Neil never really considered this, and is stuck in his own one-sided beliefs, and I think as hard as he tried to look intelligent, at the same time he looks like an idiot.

I have a lot of respect for him musically and his ability to write lyrics, but at the same time I really dont believe he is brightest guy in the world.

I think we need to be careful making broad judgements about character, intellect and beliefs about people we know primarily through song lyrics. Unless there are folks in this list who have a personal relationship with the man, there is no one who knows him well enough to make these kinds of judgements.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 11 2010, 08:51 PM)

trenken, you're understanding of agnostic vs athiest is wrong, just saying.

Oh, and now you come up with Cosmic Cow as soon as my name change contest is over. Dangit!

Archived