Considering BU2B, Does NP believe in himself...

osage2112

He's got a lot of anger, directed at Religion, so I guess he believes in a Watchmaker, but does not like him very much.

He sounds like a Diest...God exists, but has taken a Hands Off approach to his creation.

Your take??? Be gentle.

I'm not trying to pin the guy down (He don't have to share anything of my beliefs), just throwing out a supposition, sayin.

Osage

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What makes you think he has alot of anger?

I think that is an asinine statement quite frankly.

Just answer the question, I don't hate you, you ass.

QUOTE (osage2112 @ Jun 2 2010, 04:07 PM)
He's got a lot of anger, directed at Religion, so I guess he believes in a Watchmaker, but does not like him very much.

He sounds like a Diest...God exists, but has taken a Hands Off approach to his creation.

Your take??? Be gentle.

I'm not trying to pin the guy down (He don't have to share anything of my beliefs), just throwing out a supposition, sayin.
Osage

Interesting take. Does he not believe or does he indeed believe but does not like? The lyrics to several tunes can go either way. It is what it is. The man has a right to believe what he wants (as we all do). I have my faith being a Catholic. Have I ever questioned it and the existence of God?, well, yes I think anyone who says they 100% know, either way, is full of it IMO.

Please provide some examples of Neil Peart's alleged hate and anger toward organized religion.

I don't perceive anger, just a position. I think Peart is just encouraging thinking out of the box about a LOT of things. I think it's rooted in positivism myself. He's really not tearing down anyone, just questioning rationale in...a number of things. (You may not agree, but...)

I really don't get this whole "dour" and "downer" look at the lyrics. (Not directed at the poster here either, by the way). I glean a lot of positivity from the things he says. This isn't gloom and doom metal...."life just sucks/I wanna die/God is for losers"... biggrin.gif

QUOTE (osage2112 @ Jun 2 2010, 04:07 PM)

Your take??? Be gentle.

Osage

Why does God have to always be pooled with religion? I think religion is a joke but there is not a person alive who more strongly believe in a higher power than myself. Is Neil an atheist or just agnostic?

who knows what's going through his head anymore. if he didn't come up with more positive uplifting stuff this time around, he's just miserable and enjoys writing non inspirational stuff while preaching at the same time. i don't get him and i honestly don't care anymore. you either like it or you don't.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 2 2010, 04:22 PM)
I don't perceive anger, just a position. I think Peart is just encouraging thinking out of the box about a LOT of things. I think it's rooted in positivism myself. He's really not tearing down anyone, just questioning rationale in...a number of things. (You may not agree, but...)

I really don't get this whole "dour" and "downer" look at the lyrics. (Not directed at the poster here either, by the way). I glean a lot of positivity from the things he says. This isn't gloom and doom metal...."life just sucks/I wanna die/God is for losers"... biggrin.gif

+ 1

i see. i thought neil gettin g another girl cause he has money (the only reason he got one) if he was an average guy working making 30.000 a yr. he wouldn't be in that pickle. but its nice to see neils still bitter about reg lion. for i agree. too. WE dont know what will happen to us after we die. at least pearts keepin git real to his beliefs.

Presto-Digitation...good post.

Thanks,

Osage

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 2 2010, 03:24 PM)
who knows what's going through his head anymore. if he didn't come up with more positive uplifting stuff this time around, he's just miserable and enjoys writing non inspirational stuff while preaching at the same time. i don't get him and i honestly don't care anymore. you either like it or you don't.

Oh geez..........here we go.

facepalm.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 2 2010, 05:22 PM)
QUOTE (SpiritOfRush @ Jun 2 2010, 04:21 PM)
I don't think it's so much a hate or anger but more of a questioning or opinion.

+ 1

I agree. I still dunno why people are still on this Religion bashing thing.

The whole "Watchmaker" idealogy could mean many more things other than "God" It could mean whoever designed your predestined path in life ie: parents bringing up children to believe you have to get a good job and make tons of money like them in order to be successful in life... it's ANYTHING you were brought up to believe. Political, religion, values etc...

Also it's very much a question... he's not saying if you believe in God you're an idiot. Frankly if you are THAT protective of your religion and can't handle a lil bit of criticism of it than why are you a Rush fan anyway?

I think it's safe to say that he doesn't have faith in faith and he doesn't believe in belief. You can call him faithless if you want to, but he still clings to hope and he believes in love. I believe, as far as I can tell, that's faith enough for him.

I would also venture to say that he doesn't believe in destiny or the guiding hand of fate. He doesn't believe in forever or love as a mystical state. He doesn't believe in the stars or the planets or angels watching from above, but it's quite obvious, to me anyway, that he believes there's a ghost of a chance he can find someone to love and make it last.

QUOTE (reani14 @ Jun 2 2010, 04:25 PM)
i see. i thought neil gettin g another girl cause he has money (the only reason he got one) if he was an average guy working making 30.000 a yr. he wouldn't be in that pickle. but its nice to see neils still bitter about reg lion. for i agree. too. WE dont know what will happen to us after we die. at least pearts keepin git real to his beliefs.

great but how bout some more positive lyrics. most of the news is depressing, tons of garbage tv shows, and you pick up the papers to read all kinds of crap. there's got to be better thoughts poking around in his head no? musician, author, world traveler, biker, etc...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 2 2010, 03:30 PM)
I think it's safe to say that he doesn't have faith in faith and he doesn't believe in belief. You can call him faithless if you want to, but he still clings to hope and he believes in love. I believe, as far as I can tell, that's faith enough for him.

I would also venture to say that he doesn't believe in destiny or the guiding hand of fate. He doesn't believe in forever or love as a mystical state. He doesn't believe in the stars or the planets or angels watching from above, but it's quite obvious, to me anyway, that he believes there's a ghost of a chance he can find someone to love and make it last.

Ya..................I guess.............

QUOTE (osage2112 @ Jun 2 2010, 04:27 PM)
Presto-Digitation...good post.
Thanks,
Osage

I'm not privy to Peart's actual beliefs. Is he an atheist? Far more educated and "in the know" Rush fans than I can probably quote him discussing his beliefs in interviews or in his books, which I've not read.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 2 2010, 02:42 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 2 2010, 04:10 PM)
What makes you think he has alot of anger?

I think that is an asinine statement quite frankly.

maybe not 100% but he's definitely filled with at least 50% anger.

"Anger is an energy."

Signed,

Johnny "Rotten" Lydon

Archived