What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (owlswing @ Mar 1 2007, 09:35 AM)
Just started reading the book Wicked...next up Son of a Witch. These were gifts for my 10 yr. old but after the first chapter I think her reading it will wait.

These books are AWESOME!!!!

my favorite was confessions of an ugly stepsister...

but yeah, i agree that it's not quite a book i would give a 10 yr old...despite the fact that MacGuire writes his stories based on fairy tles.... with a twist....

Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach.

He's pretty amazing. It's not much too read, but it's quite interesting. Really makes ya' think.

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Mar 4 2007, 08:01 PM)
QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Mar 4 2007, 04:30 PM)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7e/Greenmile.jpg

I've never read the book. Loved the movie though.

From what I have read so far this book and movie could be really awesome.

QUOTE (Atomic.Feedback! @ Mar 5 2007, 09:29 PM)

He's pretty amazing. It's not much too read, but it's quite interesting. Really makes ya' think.

That book is practically my Bible. yes.gif

I've read it a bunch of times, and believe in its message wholeheartedly. It's much better than the other Richard Bach books that've been touted as his best - "Johnathan Livingston Seagull" and "Bridge Across Forever."

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 6 2007, 11:55 AM)

He's pretty amazing.  It's not much too read, but it's quite interesting.  Really makes ya' think.

I've read it a bunch of times, and believe in its message wholeheartedly. It's much better than the other Richard Bach books that've been touted as his best - "Johnathan Livingston Seagull" and "Bridge Across Forever."

There's a thread about which movie lines you regularly quote in Video Vertigo. If there was a similar thread here, my response would be -

"Here's a simple test to determine if your mission in life has been accomplished - If you're still breathing, it hasn't"

That's probably a slight misquote, but while I've always preferred Zen & The Art of Motorcycle Maintainance, that idea from Illusions made a major impact on me when I read it at 17, and has never left in the intervening 25 years.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Mar 6 2007, 11:07 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 6 2007, 11:55 AM)

He's pretty amazing.  It's not much too read, but it's quite interesting.  Really makes ya' think.

There's a thread about which movie lines you regularly quote in Video Vertigo. If there was a similar thread here, my response would be -

"Here's a simple test to determine if your mission in life has been accomplished - If you're still breathing, it hasn't"

All those quotes from the "Messiah's Handbook" are great:

"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours."

And one of my favorites:

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy; what the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls a butterfly."

I just looked for my copy of the book, so I could quote more, but forgot I lent it to my sister-in-law.

Noir after noir. After Fred Vargas' latest, back to some classic: Giorgio Scerbanenco. My, this man is good. He was ucrainian but lived in Italy and wrote in italian. He wrote a hundred thousand books, mostly worthless "love" novels for women, them started writing hard-boiled stuff. He's the italian Raymond Chandler. Absolutely great. Sadly, it seems he's never been translated in english.

I'm re-re-re-reading Joe Conason's book "Big Lies." After three borrows from the library in as many years, I recently bought my own copy.

(Mod edit-political content.)

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Mar 13 2007, 12:12 PM)
I'm on a real classic SF kick at the moment.

Currently, I'm about halfway through 'Lord of Light' by Roger Zelazny.

Well hello, Slaine! It's nice to see you around these parts again, sir!

goodpost.gif

currently reading "Cursor's Fury" by Jim Butcher and about to begin "Wizard's First Rule" by Terry Goodkind

1st post!!! (could have been better)

Edited by Rhythmic Mystic

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 14 2007, 01:02 AM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Mar 13 2007, 12:12 PM)
I'm on a real classic SF kick at the moment.

Currently, I'm about halfway through 'Lord of Light' by Roger Zelazny.

Well hello, Slaine! It's nice to see you around these parts again, sir!

Thanks Jack. I do manage to pop in occasionally.

By the way, having just finished 'The Forever War' by Joe Haldeman and 'The Book of Ptath' by A E Van Vogt, I'm simultaneously working through 'Earth Abides' by George Stewart and 'Slaughterhouse 5' by the great Kurt Vonnegut.

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Mar 13 2007, 08:15 PM)
just started reading Roadshow. it's good, but not great thus far.  Certainly not as good as Ghost Rider

Oh noooo!, It's not as good as....

Ghost Rider ? and that was schla03.gif

And I'm just about ready to start reading Roadshow.

Not a good sign.

Edited by softfilter

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e83/gandsome/the_last_king.jpg

A fictional account of Mithradites. Very good so far, though odd. If he truly developed immunity to poisons by ingesting small amounts of them daily, he was indeed a formidable guy. 1287.gif

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0316013943.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V39266966_.jpg

haven't read much of it yet, but so far it's good

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/0060872985.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V45248836_.jpg

This is a VERY DRAMATIC book, as evidenced by the BOLD CAPS liberally scattered through the BLURB.

It's all about GENETIC RESEARCH and UNTRUSTWORTHY SCIENTISTS, and like most Crichton books, it's a rollicking read if you DON'T TAKE IT TOO SERIOUSLY.