What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

47 minutes ago, NoahLutz said:

It was short and funny (and free on Audible).  Now I'm on the similarly short and free (but decidedly unfunny) How to Be a Friend by Cicero.  

Just in the few weeks I've turned into an Audible junkie.  Listening to Geddy (and Alex and Cliff) on his memoir cemented it for me.  The bad news is that I'm not listening to as much music now and I'm often buying an ebook or real book version to read along to the spoken word.  

I love audio books, some series are really better in audio (for me) with the right narrator.  I use them to make mundane chores go by faster and it has been a lot of fun over the years, I started listening from cassettes checked out from the library :smile:.  Audio doesn't always work as well as print, especially in complicated plots but I am glad I have had them to listen to.  Some recently I bought just because the author was reading them (mostly non-fiction) like Geddy.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 3

After picking it up and putting it down for 2 years, I finally finished Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.  It's just a collection of diary entries of him reminding himself of the principles of Stoicism as he understands them.  It was interesting, but required a lot of flipping to the end notes and back to understand the context.  

• Like 4

Perelandra by CS Lewis.  It is the second book in his space trilogy.  I finished the first with my kids about a year ago, but we moved to Star Wars and then a lot of stories where dogs die and built quite a backlog, so I’ve decided to finish the trilogy on my own.  

• Like 3

Finished the Way of the Bear, really good.  Now for a change of pace, going to read Kanan Ominbus.  I have been re-watching Star Wars Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels.  This graphic novel gives the back story of Kanan and how he came to be with the Rebels.  I don't usually go for graphic novels but this just seemed like a fun read so here I go :smile:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rhyta said:

Finished the Way of the Bear, really good.  Now for a change of pace, going to read Kanan Ominbus.  I have been re-watching Star Wars Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels.  This graphic novel gives the back story of Kanan and how he came to be with the Rebels.  I don't usually go for graphic novels but this just seemed like a fun read so here I go :smile:

My son awaits your review; as do I.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 5:25 PM, NoahLutz said:

Perelandra by CS Lewis.  It is the second book in his space trilogy.  I finished the first with my kids about a year ago, but we moved to Star Wars and then a lot of stories where dogs die and built quite a backlog, so I’ve decided to finish the trilogy on my own.  

That Hideous Strength, book three in The Space Trilogy.  Perelandra was not as interesting to me as Out of the Silent Planet.  It has an interesting conceit, but the plot itself isn't complicated and is very drawn out.  I enjoyed intellectual exercise, but I thought it could have been accomplished with 1/3 of the words.  

That Hideous Strength is a much longer book, and so far seems quite complicated, in comparison.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NoahLutz said:

That Hideous Strength, book three in The Space Trilogy.  Perelandra was not as interesting to me as Out of the Silent Planet.  It has an interesting conceit, but the plot itself isn't complicated and is very drawn out.  I enjoyed intellectual exercise, but I thought it could have been accomplished with 1/3 of the words.  

That Hideous Strength is a much longer book, and so far seems quite complicated, in comparison.  

Kudos to you for continuing on, I have had these books on my TBR list but never got around to them.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 8:08 AM, Rhyta said:

Kudos to you for continuing on, I have had these books on my TBR list but never got around to them.

You can read them separately.  That Hideous Strength is bonkers in a good way, in a similar vein as 1984 and Brave New World, but with more of a focus on the philosophies which lead to those societies than the latter and more prescient than the former.  

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 5:41 PM, NoahLutz said:

My son awaits your review; as do I.

Finished Kanan Ominbus tonight.  Was a quick fun read, learned some new things about him as an apprentice and a brief glimpse of his Master Depa Billaba.  His time on the planet Kaller (and his relationships with several inhabitants) was central to the path his life followed.  Not a linear story, jumps back and forth with flashbacks and some dream sequences.  Not something I would buy since not really a graphic novel person, checked it out from the library.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

Going for some holiday themed stuff.  Listening to The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle (Holmes), and for laughs the Santa Land Diaries (Sedaris) and if I can manage it again  A Christmas Carol narrated by Patrick Stewart.  I saw him perform this one man rendition in the 90's and I bought the cassettes and listen to it almost every Christmas.  Fantastic.

Also reading a quick novella Ghosts and Garlands in a time traveling series by Kelley Armstrong.  All short stuff so I can hopefully meet my reading challenge for the year.:smile:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 2

On 12/19/2023 at 7:43 PM, Rhyta said:

Going for some holiday themed stuff.  Listening to The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle (Holmes), and for laughs the Santa Land Diaries (Sedaris) and if I can manage it again  A Christmas Carol narrated by Patrick Stewart.  I saw him perform this one man rendition in the 90's and I bought the cassettes and listen to it almost every Christmas.  Fantastic.

Also reading a quick novella Ghosts and Garlands in a time traveling series by Kelley Armstrong.  All short stuff so I can hopefully meet my reading challenge for the year.:smile:

I got the Patrick Stewart version of A Christmas Carol when audible was doing its ridiculous sale a few weeks ago but haven’t listened yet.  I picked up A Christmas Karol (yes, with a “K”) for my daughter, who loved the original Dickens story.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NoahLutz said:

I got the Patrick Stewart version of A Christmas Carol when audible was doing its ridiculous sale a few weeks ago but haven’t listened yet.  I picked up A Christmas Karol (yes, with a “K”) for my daughter, who loved the original Dickens story.  

I saw Audible had it but I think it is the abridged version.  I am going to have to get my tapes copied into a digital format before they get too old.  I am sure you will enjoy it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rhyta said:

I saw Audible had it but I think it is the abridged version.  I am going to have to get my tapes copied into a digital format before they get too old.  I am sure you will enjoy it.

Yeah, you’re right, the Stewart one is abridged.  I was wrong, I actually didn’t buy Stewart’s version for that reason.  I ended up getting the Tim Curry version.  I still haven’t listened, though.  

• Like 1

Currently working on Doppelganger by Naomi Klein.

I had previously read "No Is Not Enough" (which was decent), "The Shock Doctrine" (which was excellent) & "On Fire: The Burning Case For a Green Neal Deal"  (also excellent) by her.  So I had fairly high hopes going into this book and frankly its been a huge disappointment.  I won't get into what she is trying to say - I just don't think its totally appropriate that I get into that here.  I will say I have watched some interviews with her about the book and what she said in the interviews was more interesting then the book.  I will also say that I basically agree with much of what she is trying to say.

Its just the writing style is a snooze fest.  IMO the first 80 page or so were terrible.  I was about to give up when the book caught fire and from there about to page 120 it was fairly good.  Then it sort of went back to sleep.  Had some ok moments but nothing very interesting.  Better than the first 80 pages however.  Around page 240 it briefly caught fire again and there were about 5 or so interesting pages and now its gone back to sleep agin.  No idea if I will get through it all and I clearly can not recommend it.

A real disappointment.  Esp with those 2 books by her that I consider to be excellent.  I would rank them somewhere in the top 15 non-fiction books I have ever read.  Note - not in my top 3 however.  My top 3 are clearly:

1.   Our Revolution - by Bernie Sanders

2.   On Corruption in America and What is at Stake  - by Sarah Chayes

3.   America: The Farewell Tour - by Chris Hedges

After thats its a jumble of a lot of very good books.  Can't say for certain that they would make the top 10 but the top 15 likely yes.  So that makes this one all the more disappointing.  A real dud.  

Edited by TheAccountant

Love Sense: the Revolutionary New Science of Romantic Relationships by Susan M. Johnson (the Finnish translation).

Truly a game changer. :heart::heart:

• Like 1

I read 78 books in 2023. Favorites were (in no particular order):

Hail Mary - Andy Weir

Now is Not the Time to Panic - Kevin Wilson

Horse - Geraldine Brooks

All of the Expanse novels - James S. A. Corey

The Daredevils - Gary Amdahl

The Great Alone - Kristin Hannah

Somebody's Fool - Richard Russo

I Have a Few Questions for You - Rebecca Makai

The Bee Sting - Paul Murray

• Like 2

Didn't make my goal for reading this year, too many podcasts I guess.  Managed 15 of 20.  Only the second time since I started keeping a count, so on the whole not so bad.  But it is depressing that I could read 80 books or more in a year when I was working and now that I am retired can barely make 40 (2022). :unsure:

• Like 2

On 12/23/2023 at 7:10 PM, TheAccountant said:

Currently working on Doppelganger by Naomi Klein.

I had previously read "No Is Not Enough" (which was decent), "The Shock Doctrine" (which was excellent) & "On Fire: The Burning Case For a Green Neal Deal"  (also excellent) by her.  So I had fairly high hopes going into this book and frankly its been a huge disappointment.  I won't get into what she is trying to say - I just don't think its totally appropriate that I get into that here.  I will say I have watched some interviews with her about the book and what she said in the interviews was more interesting then the book.  I will also say that I basically agree with much of what she is trying to say.

Its just the writing style is a snooze fest.  IMO the first 80 page or so were terrible.  I was about to give up when the book caught fire and from there about to page 120 it was fairly good.  Then it sort of went back to sleep.  Had some ok moments but nothing very interesting.  Better than the first 80 pages however.  Around page 240 it briefly caught fire again and there were about 5 or so interesting pages and now its gone back to sleep agin.  No idea if I will get through it all and I clearly can not recommend it.

A real disappointment.  Esp with those 2 books by her that I consider to be excellent.  I would rank them somewhere in the top 15 non-fiction books I have ever read.  Note - not in my top 3 however.  My top 3 are clearly:

1.   Our Revolution - by Bernie Sanders

2.   On Corruption in America and What is at Stake  - by Sarah Chayes

3.   America: The Farewell Tour - by Chris Hedges

After thats its a jumble of a lot of very good books.  Can't say for certain that they would make the top 10 but the top 15 likely yes.  So that makes this one all the more disappointing.  A real dud.  

Finally finished this book off.  Pages 285 - 315 or so were very good but not good enough to change my overall opinion of the book.  A real dud.  Can't recommend it.

Also just finished Tyranny of the Minority by Steven Levitsky & Daniel Ziblatt.  These guys had previously written How Democracies Die which was excellent (one of my top 20 non-fiction books) so I had hight hopes for this book.  I was sort of disappointed.  Only sort of.  It was ok but nothing special.  Can't say don't read it, but can't say it is anything wonderful either.  Worth reading?  Yes - I guess.  Well written  - yes.  Good points?  Yes, some.  But just nothing very special.  On to my next book....