Biggest Screw Up You've Seen Live????

presto123

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ May 12 2010, 05:45 PM)
This is not a Train Wreck but on the S&A Tour 2008 at Nissan Pavilion, DC. Alex was throwing out T-shirts to the crowd and Neil started the intro to 'One Little Victory' and Alex about pissed himself and ran back to the roadie to grab a guitar. If I remember correctly, he only missed one note, damn near got his guitar set up just in time.

Funny story biggrin.gif

I can picture the face Alex must have made when Neil started playing!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Train Wreck is just lingo that musicians use to decribe one member or More getting lost or screwing up to the point that everybody's wondering if everyone will land on their feet again and recover. Every band I've ever been in(tons) has used this term. Someone might say " we better rehearse before this weekends gig....we don't want any train wrecks. Doesn't mean I'm bashing Rush or even taking it serious. All bands have train wrecks from time to time. I'ts part of playing live. And yes it IS interesting to see how each band handles this and how well they recover:) This was meant to be a lighthearted thread and some just take everything too serious. I was just curious as to who has caught what live and how the band recovered from it.(or not) LOL!

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 12 2010, 10:48 PM)
Train Wreck is just lingo that musicians use to decribe one member or More getting lost or screwing up to the point that everybody's wondering if everyone will land on their feet again and recover. Every band I've ever been in(tons) has used this term. Someone might say " we better rehearse before this weekends gig....we don't want any train wrecks. Doesn't mean I'm bashing Rush or even taking it serious. All bands have train wrecks from time to time. I'ts part of playing live. And yes it IS interesting to see how each band handles this and how well they recover:) This was meant to be a lighthearted thread and some just take everything too serious. I was just curious as to who has caught what live and how the band recovered from it.(or not) LOL!

I know what you meant dude. You should have known it might turn into a feeding frenzy at some point though. It happens. So they made some mistakes. They're not cyborgs. Some people just chomp at the bit when they see threads like this. I don't get it. I think some are cyborgs themselves, or they think they are anyway. RushCocky is one. Just ask him. laugh.gif It does suck when you start a thread that you intend to be "lighthearted" and it spirals out of control. Been there. I thought the thread was going to be humorous as well, but the more I read, the more it pissed me off. Some people just really suck.

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 12 2010, 09:48 PM)

I have been playing and in bands since 1980. I don't know how many live shows and not once due to a mistake or technical error have i ever said Train Wreck . Just me i guess

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 12 2010, 07:03 PM)
QUOTE (Bukaloo @ May 12 2010, 07:02 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 12 2010, 08:46 AM)
I have Never seen a "Train Wreck" in the 36 shows i have seen. People have to understand shit goes wrong live, guitars go out of tune and Yes, Neil does drop a stick. Get over it

Get over it? What are we, 10? We are just discussing some of the things that have gone wrong at shows, which I find pretty amusing and sometimes pretty neat. It is always cool to see a band experience an issue and have an almost complete recovery.

Look up "Train Wreck" and get back to me

To be fair, I never called Alex breaking a string or Neil failing to catch a drumstick "a train wreck." As I said when I brought those things up, no big deal, it happens.

I don't need to "get over it" because I was never under it. wink.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 12 2010, 09:46 AM)
I have Never seen a "Train Wreck" in the 36 shows i have seen. People have to understand shit goes wrong live, guitars go out of tune and Yes, Neil does drop a stick. Get over it

That's just it though.....because a train wreck for them is so rare, it's special when it DOES finally occur.

I've never seen one live, but I have on one boot in my collection.

Hold Your Fire tour in Chicago during Time Stands Still Neil used to wear headphones (for a click track) and i guess the time signature was slower than it was susposed to be and it made neil a half step off. I can remember he got pissed and ripped them off and threw them behind him. He did recover and played the rest of the song just fine. i would not call it a train wreck but it does prove that there human and subject to screw ups. 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 13 2010, 08:58 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 12 2010, 07:03 PM)
QUOTE (Bukaloo @ May 12 2010, 07:02 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 12 2010, 08:46 AM)

Get over it? What are we, 10? We are just discussing some of the things that have gone wrong at shows, which I find pretty amusing and sometimes pretty neat. It is always cool to see a band experience an issue and have an almost complete recovery.

Look up "Train Wreck" and get back to me

To be fair, I never called Alex breaking a string or Neil failing to catch a drumstick "a train wreck." As I said when I brought those things up, no big deal, it happens.

I don't need to "get over it" because I was never under it. wink.gif

It was not you, just some posts in general

trink39.gif

This isn't really a train wreck, but part of a hilarious dream I had recently: I'm at a show, the intermission is ending, and we're anticipating the start of Tom Sawyer and the rest of MP. Instead, Ged comes out with a guitar on and Neil steps out from behind the kit and puts on a bass...Alex is nowhere to be seen. Then Ged and Neil play a re-worked version of the song with no drums...and it's actually pretty cool.

But then it all goes to hell, when Ged prances (yes, prances) out to center stage and starts singing some kind of show tune-type song. He's even joined by some dancers...but they're not very hot and wearing sweatpants and the like. Finally, the song's over and everyone in the crowd is sitting in stunned silence. Then, Ged announces that Alex has a hand injury...followed by Alex showing up, grabbing a mic, and confirming that he's had a hand problem for weeks, but hasn't had it properly treated. He apologizes, then says, "But if you'll give us about 20 minutes, we'll be back with some rock n' roll!"...and everybody seems happy with that explanation. Then I woke up.

I guess, as far as subconscious-type stuff goes, that's a bit of a train wreck.

Not a huge blunder but one that; for some reason, has always stuck in my memory.

I was at the Largo, MD Capital Centre show on September 26, 1980.

It was during Xanadu.

After the etheral intro section Alex starts the ostinato guitar lick in seven.

Then Geddy and Neil come in together by accenting the one with a low E.

The problem was, Geddy's low E string was WAY out of tune.

It was flat, to say the least.

I recall a look of amused disgust on Geddy's face, like he just bit into something that tasted nasty!!

With out a missing a beat (sort of!!) Geddy reached up and tuned the out of tune string back to the proper pitch.

He's a professional eh. (said w/ the best Canadian accent I can muster)

ohmy.gif)

...but after just finishing listen to ALL of my Rush bootlegs (I have at least one show from each tour between Fly By Night & Power Windows), I noticed alot more train wrecks than I would have guessed existed.

Believe me I am NOT complaining.

I love Rush live.

I love live music more than any other form.

Mistakes; IMO, are just as important as any other facet of live playing.

Much to the chagrin of the player but it is the nature of the beast.

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 13 2010, 08:24 AM)

I have been playing and in bands since 1980. I don't know how many live shows and not once due to a mistake or technical error have i ever said Train Wreck . Just me i guess

Diversity is the spice of life...

I have been playing in bands since the late 1970's too.

The term "train wreck" is the most common term I have heard used for a band blunder while playing live.

...just for conversation's sake...

I am a big King Crimson fan.

Their "venerable leader" Robert Fripp refers to King Crimson train wrecks as "Clams Crimsonique".

smile.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 12 2010, 04:44 PM)
This is now the "Neil is a dick and hates us all" thread.

eyesre4.gif

For me, it wasn't really a trainwreck or anything by the guys, but a technical issue. During their show in Atlanta on the Snakes and Arrows tour (opening night; from what I've heard the first 3 shows are prone to incidents), Alex's guitar didn't work in the beginning of "Between the Wheels". I think that's the only time I've seen them mess up live.

I was at that show, too, and, same here...it's really the only time I've ever noticed something really screwed up. I do recall having my binocs trained on Alex the whole time and he looked rather pissed.

Considering all the crap they're having to do over a 3 hour show, it's amazing huge screw-ups don't happen more often.

QUOTE (entmoot @ May 13 2010, 02:49 PM)

The term "train wreck" is the most common term I have heard used for a band blunder while playing live.

Their "venerable leader" Robert Fripp refers to King Crimson train wrecks as "Clams Crimsonique".

smile.gif

Thank you. No offense metaldad, but I don't think I know any musician who doesn't know the term trainwreck. Wow......even the you-tube mistake was titled trainwreck:) Buddy Rich always called mistaked clams. And boy did he let his band have it for one little clam. Who's heard the Buddy Rich bus tapes?? Do a youtube search and hold your ears....LOL For the record I've seen Rush 30+ times and they've been spot on most of the time.

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 13 2010, 04:22 PM)

smile.gif

Thank you. No offense metaldad, but I don't think I know any musician who doesn't know the term trainwreck. Wow......even the you-tube mistake was titled trainwreck:) Buddy Rich always called mistaked clams. And boy did he let his band have it for one little clam. Who's heard the Buddy Rich bus tapes?? Do a youtube search and hold your ears....LOL For the record I've seen Rush 30+ times and they've been spot on most of the time.

Not problem bro trink39.gif I know all about the term . I just don't use it for every little mistake that's all. I save it for the real bad stuff biggrin.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 13 2010, 04:22 PM)

smile.gif

I havnt heard those tapes, but have read the transcripts. Some funny shit.

I recall one of them where he told the guy he was going to take him outside...the actual quote he gives escapes me, but its hilarious.

I was at the first show in Albany of the TFE tour October 19, 1996. They screwed up a couple times, the most obvious was during a transition during YYZ back into the main riff

Geddy said afterwards "They're not mistakes, they're new parts!" laugh.gif

Biggest blunder was a biggie and it happened during the R30 tour in Irvine:

During the 2112 Overture, this big fat guy somehow got through security backstage and managed to make his way onto one of Geddy's dryers. The dude freakin' makes a starman symbol on the dryer, rocks out, and walks off. How security let that heppen I dont know

Archived