Soundcheck Time

This is a question for those die-hard fans who have waited outside the venue all day before the show to hear the soundcheck. Does anyone know from experience approximately when the band soundchecks, and how much of the set do they usually do? Obviously more details will come out as the tour kicks off and progresses, but any input would be awesome biggrin.gif

About the songs played, they usually play a different song to test each instrument. For example, Red Sector A usually was done for the keyboards, etc.

If you're going to see the tour early, they might also be rehearsing newer tracks to add. This how Distant Early Warning was placed in the setlist in 2007.

On the VT tour, they whipped out some still unplayed songs in regular concert like "Sweet Miracle" and "Vapor Trail".

Edited by quickfree

QUOTE (Josh Smith @ May 6 2010, 07:02 PM)
This is a question for those die-hard fans who have waited outside the venue all day before the show to hear the soundcheck. Does anyone know from experience approximately when the band soundchecks, and how much of the set do they usually do? Obviously more details will come out as the tour kicks off and progresses, but any input would be awesome biggrin.gif

They usually play maybe 20 minutes or so. If memory serves, they typically did soundcheck in the 4:30-5:00pm range last tour. They'll kind of play around for a few minutes then do parts of 4 or 5 songs. Last tour they did Subdivisions (almost full), Ghost of a Chance (almost full), part of The Trees, a small part of Limelight, and then Alex did Hope.

I think on S&A (first tour at Nissan Pavillion in DC) it was around 5pm. We were just pulling into the parking lot and setting up the tailgate. Heard Entre Nous. Having not known the setlist ahead of time, my jaw certainly dropped. Kinda spoiled it for the show. I think they played one other song but I was so shocked with Entre Nous that whatever else they played became a blur.

Right after breakfast I think.

I think my last show started at 8p. and sound check was about 4:30? I heard them a couple hours beforehand too. Safe to say after noontime, but over an hour before showtime is a sound check time.

If you're REALLY die-hard, find the truck entrance and see where the enter the venue. Don't be a stalker and chase them, of course. I saw all three of them go into SPAC one year because I got there so early, I was just walking around the park. Saw a couple other fans hanging out by a gate with a nice security guard. One by one, trucks went in, some cars and before I even could THINK -- Neil rides by on his bike. I didn't wave, act obnoxious, nothing -- just stood there -- mostly in SHOCK! haha. Then Geddy and Alex came in separate town cars. The other fans said things like "Geddy, roll down your window!" But I just stood there in my Rush shirt and smiled. Plus made some Rush buddies for the day wink.gif

Also got to meet LA -- one of their bus drivers. Great lady. Before I read (forget the title) Neil's book about him staying in random hotels, LA told me and a few of the other fans that Neil would stay at a Motel 6 w/o the guys laugh.gif She said she loves driving for them too. That was cool to meet her.

I heard the soundcheck at the spac show on the last tour. I must have been standing near you, ilovegeddy05, because your description is kind of what i remember (minus the Neil arrival-must have arrived a bit later). I remember subdivisions and I know they played a few others but I can't remember. It was around 5 or so-maybe a bit earlier. I was with my son who was 9 at the time (He will be there with me in July). I was glad that the parking attendant let us in early. It was quite memorable.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ May 7 2010, 06:41 PM)
I think my last show started at 8p. and sound check was about 4:30? I heard them a couple hours beforehand too. Safe to say after noontime, but over an hour before showtime is a sound check time.

A couple of hours before that is actually the sound crew playing a recording to test the equipment. Last tour they frequently played Subdivisions over and over again for their testing. THe band usually doesn't arrive until a bit before soundcheck. Soundcheck is never going to be much before 4:30pm.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ May 7 2010, 11:09 PM)
I heard the soundcheck at the spac show on the last tour. I must have been standing near you, ilovegeddy05, because your description is kind of what i remember (minus the Neil arrival-must have arrived a bit later). I remember subdivisions and I know they played a few others but I can't remember. It was around 5 or so-maybe a bit earlier. I was with my son who was 9 at the time (He will be there with me in July). I was glad that the parking attendant let us in early. It was quite memorable.

Perhaps? Though the events I described happened the tour before last I think?

trink39.gif

Regarding Subdivisions: Yes, they played the recording to test the sound overall I think but you will hear bits and pieces of songs during real soundcheck. I remember hearing TWWB which was cool.

I remember when my buddy Andrew and I went to see them at Hershey Park in '08, we walked past the stadium at around...5:15ish or so, and CLEARLY heard the band playing Subdivisions. We were just on our way to one of the roller coasters, then we were like..."Is that...Subdivisions?", we stopped, and sure enough it was coming from the stadium. We just stood there and listened to them play the whole song, lol. Then afterwards, we could hear them just tooling around for a minute or so. That was pretty cool. cool.gif Edited by ALifeson85

You're probably right. Now I am not sure if it was 07 or 08. There was so much time between tours previous to these that the last two are fading together. I can't remember if I heard TWTWB at soundcheck or not. For some reason all I remember is Subdivisions, though I know there was more. I will be at SPAC this year though I don't know if I will be that early this time.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ May 8 2010, 02:12 PM)
You're probably right. Now I am not sure if it was 07 or 08. There was so much time between tours previous to these that the last two are fading together. I can't remember if I heard TWTWB at soundcheck or not. For some reason all I remember is Subdivisions, though I know there was more. I will be at SPAC this year though I don't know if I will be that early this time.

I won't be there early; traveling in from Syracuse that day from work and can only take off a few hours :\

Yes, work's the reason for me as well. Travelling from Utica area. Hopefully getting there in time to find a good spot on the lawn. We are not inside this year. Hoping there is no rain. Edited by micgtr71

Thanks everyone! I'll be at SPAC and the NYS Fair, and since I'm a high school senior, I hope to get there early enough to listen biggrin.gif I'll actually be skipping part of college orientation for the fair, but I think it's worth it wink.gif

QUOTE (Score Out @ May 8 2010, 12:11 AM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ May 7 2010, 06:41 PM)
I think my last show started at 8p. and sound check was about 4:30?  I heard them a couple hours beforehand too.  Safe to say after noontime, but over an hour before showtime is a sound check time.

A couple of hours before that is actually the sound crew playing a recording to test the equipment. Last tour they frequently played Subdivisions over and over again for their testing. THe band usually doesn't arrive until a bit before soundcheck. Soundcheck is never going to be much before 4:30pm.

Actually, it's always "promptly" @ 5pm.

A few years back at the Darien Lakes venue in Western NY, I found out that you could stroll up to the rear doors of the lawn area, from the outside and see clearly down to the stage.

It was , about 3:30 to 4ish maybe..

I spied a soundcheck to the R30 tour, and I think I saw S&A too I've known about this for a few shows.

It wasn't really all that interesting. But still kind of a cool sneak peek.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ May 7 2010, 02:58 PM)
I think on S&A (first tour at Nissan Pavillion in DC) it was around 5pm. We were just pulling into the parking lot and setting up the tailgate. Heard Entre Nous. Having not known the setlist ahead of time, my jaw certainly dropped. Kinda spoiled it for the show. I think they played one other song but I was so shocked with Entre Nous that whatever else they played became a blur.

Despite it 'spoiling' that part of the show for you that is still pretty frigging awesome! I avoided spoilers so when I was at the first show that tour and heard Entre Nous start my frigging face almost melted off!

1022.gif

I heard them do MalNar at Irvine last tour and it was like that Billy Sheehan jam on steroids for like 10 minutes. Talk about roasting! What a treat that was. I had to tell this guy to turn his stereo off cause he didn't know what was going on...!

QUOTE (Josh Smith @ May 6 2010, 08:02 PM)

Typically 'round 3 or 4 in the morning. Have your cup of coffee.