Grunge vs. Hair

Tick

Hair metal or Grunge?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Hair metal or Grunge?

• Grunge
    • Hair

If you think simplistic chords are better than blazing, intricate guitar solos then you don't even deserve to call yourself a music fan.

I voted for Hair metal, but honestly I don't care if a song uses simple chords and/or blazing & intricate guitar solos.

I only care that the song is good.

• Like 1

If you think simplistic chords are better than blazing, intricate guitar solos then you don't even deserve to call yourself a music fan.

and your the type of music fan that pisses me off.

I know you enjoy hair metal.......but now you're being out and out idiotic.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Nirvana saved rock.

End of.

Other bands were coming up at the same time to fill that role if need be such as Alice in chains, pearl jam, sound garden.

You can say the same thing regarding the Beatles and the British Invasion. And the Ramones and Punk Rock. Band in the right place at the right time with the talent to back it up.

Mick

Okay, I admit I was an asshole in my last post.

But sometimes you get tired of people constantly trying to argue about how much better of a guitarist Kurt Cobain was compared to someone like Vito Bratta.

Edited by fraroc

Mick

But sometimes you get tired of people constantly trying to argue about how much better of a guitarist Kurt Cobain was compared to someone like Vito Bratta.

Who constantly does this?

• Like 2

Nirvana saved rock.

End of.

oh Christ ... not quite

Social Distortion, The Supersuckers, Redd Kross, Chainsaw Kittens, Dropkick Murphys, Jason And The Scorchers

rock and roll survived quite nicely in spite of grunge

What simplistic chords are you talking about? The major and minor ones that contain the notes that make up all of our music and Vito bratta's solos? You don't know what you're talking about.

• Like 1

What simplistic chords are you talking about? The major and minor ones that contain the notes that make up all of our music and Vito bratta's solos? You don't know what you're talking about.

I think basic chords and riffs make a more powerful and lasting impression on most music fans and people. The opening chords to "Smells Like Teen Spirits" got more people to pick up a guitar than any solo in a White Lion song.

• Like 1

I think basic chords and riffs make a more powerful and lasting impression on most music fans and people. The opening chords to "Smells Like Teen Spirits" got more people to pick up a guitar than any solo in a White Lion song.

Theres nothing wrong with a simple riff, it's only when a band does nothing but put out songs with simple riffs. That's what the main problem, for me, was with most "modern rock" from 2006-2012 (bands like Creed and Nickelback). That and the godawful deep, whiny vocals that 100% ripped off of Eddie Vedder.

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

Mick

Who constantly does this?

I see people trying to argue that almost as often as I see unicorns walk down my block.

Theres nothing wrong with a simple riff, it's only when a band does nothing but put out songs with simple riffs. That's what the main problem, for me, with most "modern rock" from 2006-2012 (bands like Creed and Nickelback)

Why does a band putting nothing but songs with simple riffs bother you? It's just another choice of music.

Theres nothing wrong with a simple riff, it's only when a band does nothing but put out songs with simple riffs. That's what the main problem, for me, with most "modern rock" from 2006-2012 (bands like Creed and Nickelback)

Why does a band putting nothing but songs with simple riffs bother you? It's just another choice of music.

It's when people get all elitist about it and write off intricate lead guitar parts as "Oh guitar solos died in the 80s with hair metal".

It's when people get all elitist about it and write off intricate lead guitar parts as "Oh guitar solos died in the 80s with hair metal".

So what?

Enjoy the music you enjoy, whether it sucks or not!

Theres nothing wrong with a simple riff, it's only when a band does nothing but put out songs with simple riffs. That's what the main problem, for me, was with most "modern rock" from 2006-2012 (bands like Creed and Nickelback). That and the godawful deep, whiny vocals that 100% ripped off of Eddie Vedder.

I totally agree with the vocal thing .. It was bad enough hearing Vedder's faux tortured crap, but now, it become as bad as modern country

I totally agree with the vocal thing .. It was bad enough hearing Vedder's faux tortured crap, but now, it become as bad as modern country

Other than the bands mentioned and adding some Stone Temple Pilots what are some other bands doing the faux tortured crap? Honestly.

What kind of colours do you see inside your mind when you close your eyes? :smoke:

• Like 2

Nirvana saved rock.

End of.

Other bands were coming up at the same time to fill that role if need be such as Alice in chains, pearl jam, sound garden.

I knew AIC before Nirvana. Headbangers Ball rotated the videos for Man In The Box and Sea Of Sorrow a lot. Facelift was certified gold before Nirvana broke huge. Yeah, Nirvana made a huge impact but AIC doesn't seem to get the credit they deserve for being the first successful band from the early 90s Seattle scene.

• Like 3

Nirvana saved rock.

End of.

I knew AIC before Nirvana. Headbangers Ball rotated the videos for Man In The Box and Sea Of Sorrow a lot. Facelift was certified gold before Nirvana broke huge. Yeah, Nirvana made a huge impact but AIC doesn't seem to get the credit they deserve for being the first successful band from the early 90s Seattle scene.

Alice in Chains gets its due. To be fair, Nirvana released its first album in 1989 and became a fairly established band. One of the reasons Nevermind broke big is because it crossed more commercial barriers than Alice in Chains. Simply put, more people liked, or thought they liked, Nirvana.

• Like 1

Other than the bands mentioned and adding some Stone Temple Pilots what are some other bands doing the faux tortured crap? Honestly.

Daughtry

Staind

Shinedown

Hinder

Saving Abel

Theory Of A Deadman

Finger Eleven

The shitlist goes on and on

Daughtry

Staind

Shinedown

Hinder

Saving Abel

Theory Of A Deadman

Finger Eleven

Not one of these bands are on my musical radar. Neither are Creed and Nickelback. I can't name one song or remember any song from the bands listed.

Daughtry

Staind

Shinedown

Hinder

Saving Abel

Theory Of A Deadman

Finger Eleven

I dislike Staind and Saving Abel but don't know the rest.

But I like AIC the most. And Soundgarden I was just enjoying yesterday.

I only like PJ's debut and bits and pieces of Nirvana.

I dislike most hair metal music and would choose AIC or Soundgarden over any of them.

fraroc speaks of elitists speaking against hair metal bands but his words have easily been the most elitist of all in this thread. Irony.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Daughtry

Staind

Shinedown

Hinder

Saving Abel

Theory Of A Deadman

Finger Eleven

I dislike most hair metal music and would choose AIC or Soundgarden over any of them.

fraroc speaks of elitists speaking against hair metal bands but his words have easily been the most elitist of all in this thread. Irony.

I still think hair metal was a worst goddamn thing that happened to the 80's rock music.

That is just deep shit that I can't stand. Never understood what masses of people found in those effeminate, dumb, talentless posers with a sleek hairspray, makeup and spandex.

fraroc was probably just a little pumped from listening to We're Not Gonna Take It

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Daughtry

Staind

Shinedown

Hinder

Saving Abel

Theory Of A Deadman

Finger Eleven

I still think hair metal was a worst goddamn thing that happened to the 80's rock music.

That is just deep shit that I can't stand. Never understood what masses of people found in those effeminate, dumb, talentless posers with a sleek hairspray, makeup and spandex.

fraroc was probably just a little pumped from listening to We're Not Gonna Take It

Oh man that's a nice one from TK. I missed that. I stand corrected. Fraroc is this thread's silver medalist in the Elitist Comment event

• Like 1

Daughtry

Staind

Shinedown

Hinder

Saving Abel

Theory Of A Deadman

Finger Eleven

Oh please, the fact alone that I'm defending one of the most maligned genres of music makes me anything but.

Edited by fraroc