Grunge vs. Hair

Tick

Hair metal or Grunge?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Hair metal or Grunge?

• Grunge
    • Hair

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 6 2010, 04:21 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 6 2010, 01:42 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 6 2010, 03:33 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 6 2010, 01:27 PM)
Whitesnake were formed in 1976 were big in 1979 and 1980 well before America ever knew who they were, they were a blues/rock outfit. Putting this band in the hair metal catergory, just because they jumped on a bandwagon image-wise in the late 80s doesn't make sense, you might as well call Judas Priest hair metal, a band from the same era give or take a couple of years, because they did the exact same thing in 1986-88 after being around since 74...

goodpost.gif

Bravo Duck!!

A lot of bands that were formed in the Seventies came down with the BIG HAIR Virus in the Eighties!

My other favorite band in the land Y&T was also infected!!

Born in Oakland Ca back in 1974, they were rocking the Bay Are and Europe BIG TIME!!!

Signed to A&M Records and made four awesome HARD ROCK records.

But then tragedy struck in 1985, hence they were forced to have big hair, with lots of spary and pink spandex. "Down For The Count" was born.

Featuring the big hit "Summertime Girls." A song a fukking hate.

Another thing about Cinderella which I find refreshing is that they started out as a hair band then then started to gravitate to the southern rock blues genre.

This is a great thread TICK, I could write about book about this genre of music.

I LOVE IT ALL!!

Signed,

"Dangerous Toys" 1022.gif

1022.gif

Oh and I don't count Dokken or Motley Crue or Ratt in this, these bands were playing clubs in LA in the late 70s in one form or another and Mick Mars wav playing clubs as early as 1972...

They're contemporaries of Van Halen...

Maybe the only band that I like that could be put in the hair metal catergory, who were from that era are Guns n Roses...

Amen partner! No doubt about it! George Lynch's first band was called XCITER. Late Seventies. No big hair then.

I just read "The Dirt" so it's fresh in my mind. Nikki loved KISS and Alice Cooper way back when. Mick Mars was of course the oldest dude in the band who loved guys like Jeff Beck.

It just seemed all all of these "hard rock" bands followed the trend and did the BIG HAIR because it was the Sign O' The Times."

Go for the BIG HAIR and sell RECORDS AND BANG PUSSY!!!!

Nothing wrong with that philosophy eh?

There are a ton of great musicians who came out of the HAIR DAZE.

For instance, I just mentioned Andy Timmons on the "underrated guitarist" thread.

Do you know where he got his start?

DANGER DANGER!

What about the greatness that is Reb Beach????? Great fukkin' guitarist.

He was in that little Hair Band called WINGER!!!!

Good call on Andy Timmons Earl, he has guitar skills as good as anyone, he's owned steve Vai in a few jam sessions. He also has nice tone and a good sense of melody, writes good tunes too...

Reb is good too...

I suppose Winger and Giant fit the hair catergory, they're bands I liked, good musicians with good songs, but came along maybe a little too late to make it that big.

Dann Huff is as good as anyone in rock too, great player...

Grunge easily.

"grunge"

I loved metal but never cared much for the hair bands. a few exceptions here and there like a few Dokken songs but overall it was very repetitive and sad.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 6 2010, 05:16 PM)
"grunge"

I loved metal but never cared much for the hair bands. a few exceptions here and there like a few Dokken songs but overall it was very repetitive and sad.

Dokken began their career in the late 70s, the grungers and the hair metalers like Poison, Great White, Guns n Roses, Tesla and Cinderella were invented in the late 80s...don't confuse eras...

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 6 2010, 04:27 PM)
Whitesnake were formed in 1976 were big in 1979 and 1980 well before America ever knew who they were, they were a blues/rock outfit. Putting this band in the hair metal catergory, just because they jumped on a bandwagon image-wise in the late 80s doesn't make sense, you might as well call Judas Priest hair metal, a band from the same era give or take a couple of years, because they did the exact same thing in 1986-88 after being around since 74...

how do you lump "America" in to a few people thinking Whitesnake were just a hair band? u r better than that duckie. I first heard them with Ready and Willing around 1980. They actually played Fool For Your Loving quite a bit on the radio here.

I'm not sure I can give a pass to all bands that were pre-hair that jumped on the bandwagon (like Dokken) of hair to sell records but Whitesnake definitely gets a pass. So does Yes, of course. Go look at some of those videos from the time of Big Generator or 90125 and they have that hair band look to a certain extent....

I just want to say to Earl that I could USE A LOT OF CAPITOL LETTERS AND EXPLANATION POINTS WHEN ARGUING FOR GRUNGE BUT IT WON'T MAKE ME ANYMORE RIGHT IN MY OPINION!!!!!!!!

Fact is grunge was WAY F U C K I N better than hair metal shit and that is the truth. SOMEBODY GIVE ME AN AMEN!!!

PEAL JAM

STONE TEMPLE PILOTS

SOUNDGARDEN

ALICE IN CHAINS

SCREAMING TREES

These bands beat the ever loving shit out of puke inducing bands like Cinderella, Winger, Warrant, or Poison!

Is this opinion or fact?

ITS A DAMN FACT AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED!

ROCK ON BITCHES!!!! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

am I right?

I'M TICK!!! F U C K I N A I AM!!!!!!!!! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Edited by tick

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 6 2010, 05:27 PM)

how do you lump "America" in to a few people thinking Whitesnake were just a hair band? u r better than that duckie. I first heard them with Ready and Willing around 1980. They actually played Fool For Your Loving quite a bit on the radio here.

I'm not sure I can give a pass to all bands that were pre-hair that jumped on the bandwagon (like Dokken) of hair to sell records but Whitesnake definitely gets a pass. So does Yes, of course. Go look at some of those videos from the time of Big Generator or 90125 and they have that hair band look to a certain extent....

Well it's Americans who keep calling Whitesnake hair metal. Anyone over here in the UK and Europe knew the band as a blues based hard rock years before the term hair metal was ever created. Who else is there, Japanese? Australians? someone is...it's in this thread...

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 6 2010, 06:36 PM)

Well it's Americans who keep calling Whitesnake hair metal. Anyone over here in the UK and Europe knew the band as a blues based hard rock years before the term hair metal was ever created. Who else is there, Japanese? Australians? someone is...it's in this thread...

F U C K YOUR POST, READ MINE!!! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

tongue.gif

QUOTE (tick @ May 6 2010, 06:36 PM)
I just want to say to Earl that I could USE A LOT OF CAPITOL LETTERS AND EXPLANATION POINTS WHEN ARGUING FOR GRUNGE BUT IT WON'T MAKE ME ANYMORE RIGHT IN MY OPINION!!!!!!!!
Fact is grunge was WAY F U C K I N better than hair metal shit and that is the truth. SOMEBODY GIVE ME AN AMEN!!!
PEAL JAM
STONE TEMPLE PILOTS
SOUNDGARDEN
ALICE IN CHAINS
SCREAMING TREES

These bands beat the ever loving shit out of puke inducing bands like Cinderella, Winger, Warrant, or Poison!
Is this opinion or fact?

ROCK ON BITCHES!!!! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

am I right?

I'M TICK!!! F U C K I N A I AM!!!!!!!!! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Prepare for an expert to chime in and explain that some of those bands you listed are not grunge. Having said that, any one of those bands are better than all hair metal put together.

"Every Rose Has Its Thorn" is the greatest song ever written. And it's by the ultimate hair band. Only Bon Jovi can provide more insight and originality with lyrics. I rest my case.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 6 2010, 06:39 PM)
PEAL JAM
STONE TEMPLE PILOTS
SOUNDGARDEN
ALICE IN CHAINS
SCREAMING TREES

Is this opinion or fact?

ROCK ON BITCHES!!!! 1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif

am I right?

I'M TICK!!! F U C K I N A I AM!!!!!!!!! 1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif

Prepare for an expert to chime in and explain that some of those bands you listed are not grunge. Having said that, any one of those bands are better than all hair metal put together.

Those bands were all basically labeled as part of the grunge scene whether or not they were.

Little known fact, Ticks band in the 90's played almost 80% of this style music with some originals and 70's mixed in.

and if I do say so, I was a kick ass vocalist! 1022.gif 1022.gif atickhum.gif

QUOTE (tick @ May 6 2010, 05:38 PM)

tongue.gif

I don't like either Tick, not the Warrants, the Cinderellas, the Great Whites, the Poisons, nor the Pearl Jams, The Nirvanas, the soundgardens, the alice in chains, not any of them, I passed on all of them...

I just don't like any of them...

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 6 2010, 06:40 PM)
"Every Rose Has Its Thorn" is the greatest song ever written.  And it's by the ultimate hair band.  Only Bon Jovi can provide more insight and originality with lyrics.  I rest my case.

WORST SONG EVER WRITTEN!!!!! I HATE THAT SONG!!!!!!

"Every Rose has its thorn"

WHAT A STUPID F U C K I N LYRIC!!!

Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ May 6 2010, 06:43 PM)
PEAL JAM
STONE TEMPLE PILOTS
SOUNDGARDEN
ALICE IN CHAINS
SCREAMING TREES

Is this opinion or fact?

am I right?

I'M TICK!!! F U C K I N A I AM!!!!!!!!! 1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif

Those bands were all basically labeled as part of the grunge scene whether or not they were.

Little known fact, Ticks band in the 90's played almost 80% of this style music with some originals and 70's mixed in.

I'm sure you kicked ass in a serious way while wearing some nice flannel.

I also liked Bush, Live and STP from that era.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 6 2010, 10:40 PM)
"Every Rose Has Its Thorn" is the greatest song ever written. And it's by the ultimate hair band. Only Bon Jovi can provide more insight and originality with lyrics. I rest my case.

This.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 6 2010, 06:56 PM)
"Every Rose Has Its Thorn" is the greatest song ever written.  And it's by the ultimate hair band.  Only Bon Jovi can provide more insight and originality with lyrics.  I rest my case.

This.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like "Every Rose Has Its Thorn", but that's about where it ends for me regarding Poison.

Hair metal had more groove in their songs. Grunge was just so sad.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 6 2010, 07:11 PM)
I like "Every Rose Has Its Thorn", but that's about where it ends for me regarding Poison.

Hair metal had more groove in their songs. Grunge was just so sad.

Im going to keep chiming in evertime someone says that by saying....THAT SONG ROYALLY BLOWS!!!

QUOTE (tick @ May 6 2010, 03:43 PM)
PEAL JAM
STONE TEMPLE PILOTS
SOUNDGARDEN
ALICE IN CHAINS
SCREAMING TREES

Is this opinion or fact?

am I right?

CLASSIC TICK! i mean classic tick.

Dude, I do like the grunge scene, but that scene killed the guitar solo and to me, that SUCKED!

I was heavily into the SUBPOP label way back when.

Is Pearl Jam really considered grunge? I don't think so.

Green River? Mother Love Bone? Perhaps. However some label Mother Love Bone as GLAM PUNK!

L7 is a cool band. The Grungeaways? I mean The Runaways from Seattle?

What about Mudhoney? TAD?

Mad Season? Temple Of The Dog?

These are real grunge bands. Bands that do FUKKING ROCK.

Would you classify Smashing Pumpkins as grunge?

STP is from L.A. not Seatte. Are the Stone Temple Pilots really grunge?

I say NO. Or to quote you "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

However I will take the cake from you and eat it too.

Signed,

"UNSKINNY BOP"

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 6 2010, 07:14 PM)
PEAL JAM
STONE TEMPLE PILOTS
SOUNDGARDEN
ALICE IN CHAINS
SCREAMING TREES

Is this opinion or fact?

am I right?

Dude, I do like the grunge scene, but that scene killed the guitar solo and to me, that SUCKED!

Green River? Mother Love Bone? Perhaps. However some label Mother Love Bone as GLAM PUNK!

Signed,

"UNSKINNY BOP"

Pearl Jam would certainly be labeled the quintessential grunge. yes.gif

Temple of the Dog was comprised of Soundgarden/Pearl Jam, so, grunge.

STP, grunge yes.gif

Smashing Pumpkins yes.gif

All the movers and shakers who changed the coarse of music in the 90's qualify if were part of that scene. yes.gif

Signed

Freezin' rests his head on a pillow made of concrete

atickhum.gif

better then any hair crap song.

QUOTE (tick @ May 6 2010, 07:43 PM)
better then any hair crap song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxKWTzr-k6s

Even flow disposable diapers? laugh.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 6 2010, 07:14 PM)
PEAL JAM
STONE TEMPLE PILOTS
SOUNDGARDEN
ALICE IN CHAINS
SCREAMING TREES

Is this opinion or fact?

am I right?

Signed,

"UNSKINNY BOP"

i didn't think rushhead666 was going to be the expert that I predicted would rise and categorize but here we go....

QUOTE (tick @ May 6 2010, 05:58 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 6 2010, 06:56 PM)

This.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think they are pulling your leg bro

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 7 2010, 10:43 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ May 6 2010, 05:38 PM)

tongue.gif

I don't like either Tick, not the Warrants, the Cinderellas, the Great Whites, the Poisons, nor the Pearl Jams, The Nirvanas, the soundgardens, the alice in chains, not any of them, I passed on all of them...

I just don't like any of them...

Your loss tongue.gif