This could be the greatest tour ever

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Apr 9 2010, 11:11 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 9 2010, 09:38 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Apr 9 2010, 10:08 AM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Apr 9 2010, 01:44 AM)
Certainly not. I saw the Moving Pictures tour back in 1981. They did everything but Witch Hunt which I later saw them do. I don't get this. I really don't.

Don't forget that not everyone is an old fart like us. Some members have never even seen Rush and the prospect of MP in its entirety is an amazing thought. But being someone who has seen Rush over 30 times, I can relate to your sentiment.

Right. My husband's first Rush show was S&A 2008. He still says it's hands-down the best live show he's ever seen, period. And he's quite the classic metalhead as well as being 53 years old, so he's seen quite a few acts well-known for the quality of their live performances.

There's no way that I could duplicate the experiences I had at early eighties Rush shows. Even if someone had a time machine and brought back 1980 Geddy, Alex, and Neil and had them perform. I was young and it was a new experience that helped define my youth. One of the things I really love about Rush is that they have adapted and reinvented themselves over the years. That's a very unique talent. I still love it when they play the old stuff, but I also like the new stuff as well.

If S&A was the first Rush experience for me, it would be etched in my memory as the best concert ever. That distinction though goes to the GUP show.

I hear ya. My first tour was Signals and I literally did not miss a tour until R30 (we were buying a house, moving, etc.)

Those are some of the best memories of a lifetime. Me and a crowd of 8 or 9 friends, all male (of course), camping for tickets, ditching school with parental permission on the day of the show and going downtown early. Listening to soundcheck outside the venue doors. Just really amazing experiences.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 9 2010, 09:11 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 9 2010, 07:51 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 9 2010, 07:39 AM)
At their age there is no way this will be their greatest tour ever, especially with the quality of geddy's voice which is pretty damn awful. Ive been to every tour since Permanent Waves and none of the tours over the last 10-15 years compare to those early 80s shows. Not even really close at all.

I don't buy it...the guys have been playing at the top of their game IMO. Sure, it's one thing to say that their recent studio records don't "meet the calibre" of their earlier albums, but LIVE, I think these guys are still performing at the top of their game. Ged's voice sounds great to me.

Also, it's funny you say that. My two uncles have been going to every Rush tour since 1982, and they have mentioned countless times how the guys have never been better live than they are these days! Go figure.

You seriously think they sound as good as they did in the early 80s? I cant relate to you at all.

Trenken...I think you missed what I said. I said MY UNCLES, not me, said that this was the best they have seen the boys.

If anything, I can't relate to you. I was born in 1983, and only saw my first Rush show on the VT Tour.

So, quite honestly...I can't tell you whether or not they are better now than in the 80's, mainly because I was only a wee toddler through most of them!! laugh.gif

Oh it's going to be AWESOME man, I agree. But as for the best ever I think that already happened:

Freewill

By-Tor And The Snow Dog

Xanadu

The Spirit Of Radio

Natural Science

A Passage To Bangkok

The Trees

Cygnus X-1: Book I: The Voyage

Cygsnu X-1: Book II: Hemispheres

Closer To The Heart

Beneath, Between And Behind

Jacob's Ladder

Working Man

Finding My Way

Anthem

Bastille Day

In The Mood

Drum Solo

Encore: La Villa Strangiato

This was the Permanent Waves tour setlist, and Geddy with his awesome 1980 voice still in top shape!

QUOTE (TullSkull @ Apr 9 2010, 07:08 AM)
QUOTE (mankad89 @ Apr 9 2010, 02:12 AM)
Not really.

I'm scared to think what Geddy's voice is like at this point.

You think Geddy is bad with the voice, go hear Ian.. angry.gif

z7shysterical.gif

Greatest tour ever? Are you kidding? As great as they still are (they're better than most bands half their age) we must admit that they are past their prime.

Then again, I guess it depends on how you define "greatest" in this context. Is it the set list, the stage show, the overall sound? For me, I would probably say that their earlier tours like 2112 and AFTK would be their best simply because their live shows were much heavier and more raw. I LOVE All the Worlds a Stage much more than any other live album for that reason.

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Apr 9 2010, 10:11 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 9 2010, 09:38 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Apr 9 2010, 10:08 AM)
Certainly not. I saw the Moving Pictures tour back in 1981. They did everything but Witch Hunt which I later saw them do. I don't get this. I really don't.

Don't forget that not everyone is an old fart like us. Some members have never even seen Rush and the prospect of MP in its entirety is an amazing thought. But being someone who has seen Rush over 30 times, I can relate to your sentiment.

Right. My husband's first Rush show was S&A 2008. He still says it's hands-down the best live show he's ever seen, period. And he's quite the classic metalhead as well as being 53 years old, so he's seen quite a few acts well-known for the quality of their live performances.

There's no way that I could duplicate the experiences I had at early eighties Rush shows. Even if someone had a time machine and brought back 1980 Geddy, Alex, and Neil and had them perform. I was young and it was a new experience that helped define my youth. One of the things I really love about Rush is that they have adapted and reinvented themselves over the years. That's a very unique talent. I still love it when they play the old stuff, but I also like the new stuff as well.

If S&A was the first Rush experience for me, it would be etched in my memory as the best concert ever. That distinction though goes to the GUP show.

My top 2.gif concert experience was the GUP concert my first until VT. For some reason that stood out from the over 40 shows I've seen or was it from my recent divorce at the time?

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 9 2010, 09:08 AM)

You are right! trink39.gif When I said, "I don't get this. I really don't."

I was not referring to those who think this may be the greatest tour ever. That's fine. What I meant was I don't get why they are doing Moving Pictures and this whole "Time Machine" thing.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Apr 9 2010, 12:43 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Apr 9 2010, 09:08 AM)

You are right! trink39.gif When I said, "I don't get this. I really don't."

I was not referring to those who think this may be the greatest tour ever. That's fine. What I meant was I don't get why they are doing Moving Pictures and this whole "Time Machine" thing.

Honestly, I think it is just a marketing tool for them because the 2010 tour is not supporting a new album.

Since this a "warm-up" tour of sorts for next year's tour, this is just their way of justifying the tour and why people should come out to see them.

I think it makes sense...plus, the Boys have constantly said that they always feel the need to have a release to tour in support of (hence 'Feedback' in 2004).

That's just my thought though...

At their age there is no way this will be their greatest tour ever, especially with the quality of geddy's voice which is pretty damn awful. Ive been to every tour since Permanent Waves and none of the tours over the last 10-15 years compare to those early 80s shows. Not even really close at all.

Weird a so 'called' rush fan talking about geddys voice......This band put prog/rock on the map...and can still bust a tune........YOU ROCK GEDDY.... FAREWELL TO KINGS....BEST TOUR>>>>>>>>>>>EVER

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Apr 9 2010, 11:07 AM)
Oh it's going to be AWESOME man, I agree. But as for the best ever I think that already happened:

Freewill
By-Tor And The Snow Dog
Xanadu
The Spirit Of Radio
Natural Science
A Passage To Bangkok
The Trees
Cygnus X-1: Book I: The Voyage
Cygsnu X-1: Book II: Hemispheres
Closer To The Heart
Beneath, Between And Behind
Jacob's Ladder
Working Man
Finding My Way
Anthem
Bastille Day
In The Mood
Drum Solo
Encore: La Villa Strangiato

This was the Permanent Waves tour setlist, and Geddy with his awesome 1980 voice still in top shape!

Without a doubt the best Rush setlist EVER. The second best is the Signals tour.

Has there been a poll on best setlist ever? If not, we should have one!

QUOTE (maxkool @ Apr 9 2010, 01:31 PM)

Weird a so 'called' rush fan talking about geddys voice......This band put prog/rock on the map...and can still bust a tune........YOU ROCK GEDDY.... FAREWELL TO KINGS....BEST TOUR>>>>>>>>>>>EVER

I understand what Trenken is saying. I think one can be a fan and still point out what one considers a shortcoming in a band. ( as in like a personal feeling that one has with certain aspects of a bands sound ).

I agree that Geddy ( to me ) sounds nowhere near as good as he used to.

Some times in the SnA live performances I am wondering how he keeps it going. But he has developed a technique, in rolling his words, sometimes forming more phonetic structures than the actual words enunciated.

I even remember a thread way back just when SnA came out where Trenken and I ( I was in that thread too) discussed the eras of Geddy's vocals.

Like which albums showed noticeable change in the timbre and quality of his vocal sound.

In the spirit of trying to pre-analyze his current new material vocal style.

I am even thinking about starting a thread like that again (oh snap).

common001.gif

or maybe not... I havent been back long enough.

unsure.gif