6 months ago...

Shirley

And boy was that a wise move!!

6 months ago today (at this time too) I listened to my very first Rush song!!!! Someone on another forum mentioned Rush and I used a programme called Spotify to see if I'd like this band called "Rush" It was Nobody's Hero and I loved it right from the first play! I went out the next day and bought Counterparts. I heard Between Sun & Moon next, loved that "aaaaah to yes to aaaah to yes" line! But it wasn't until I heard Everyday Glory that things got serious. That last verse spoke to me. Gave me a crutch to hold up my life, which was shattering around me. I then signed up here and discovered a whole host of lovely people! Moving Pictures was my next adventure. Then I google imaged Rush, fell for Geddy! Turned me into a full blown fan. I now have all albums (on Vinyl as well as CD, bar Counterparts, T4E and Vapor Trails) I have all the DVDs, 4 t shirts, 6 posters and did something that can't be changed back...

I'm freaking obsessed now!

Changed my life this.

Just thought I'd share this with you guys!

2.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 653.gif 2.gif trink39.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 653.gif

goodpost.gif

It's amazing that you know the exact first Rush tune ya ever heard...I myself cannot remember for the life of me, which song it was, due to the fact that my sis used to play that wonderful older stuff while I was still a kid (7 or 8 years old), and then there was that more commercial stuff played on the radio as well as the vids on MTV, so I'm clueless! confused13.gif

Wait till ya see 'em live...that's what hooked me for good and all!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Better late than never, and this place is richer for your having joined! trink39.gif

Rush songs and lyrics have lifted me out of many a dark mood.

trink39.gif

I remember the first Rush tune I ever listened to too, it was CTTH, but I read the lyrics to Manhattan Project first. cool.gif

That was in late 2006 or so, when I was...thirteen. My dad had just gotten the DVD "A Show of Hands," and played it and asked me if I knew what the song Manhattan Project was about. He gave me the liner notes for PoW, and I read them (the lyrics to Manhattan Project) and thought "...this is kind of cool." Then for the hell of it, I put CTTH on my mp3 player...and I haven't looked back since. Three years later, after one live show in '07 and lots of discovery, here I am a proud Rushian! biggrin.gif

It's good to be a fan of the best band in the world. cool.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

My first song was YYZ from guitar hero but I didn't think much of it, I knew it was an amazing song but didn't bother looking into the band: I was too young to be into any specific band. My real Rush journey started after me and my friends played Tom Sawyer on Rock Band. My other friends were like LOL what was that??!?!?!???!?!?! I was like " ohmy.gif That was amazing... ohmy.gif " And from then on I knew I was different tongue.gif

The first Rush song I ever heard was Xanadu on the ESL video.

I had just really started learning how to play the bass.

It blew my f**kin' mind seven ways to Sunday.

that is great, another Rush fan. I gotta tell ya though, after reading all these posts, I feel old. I first heard Rush in 1976 and listened to FBN, CoS, and 2112 as a kid but didnt really "adopt" them into my life until I was 13 in 1981 when I heard MP for the first time and then 2 months later saw them in concert. Full-fledged Rush fan after that.

You might not love the old stuff very much, alot of "new" fans like the newer stuff better and I'm probably in the minority but the '74-81 era is the best (with honorable mention to Signals and GuP).

Whatever you like, it's all good!

QUOTE (ADesignForRush @ Mar 25 2010, 02:11 AM)

6 months ago today (at this time too) I listened to my very first Rush song!!!! Someone on another forum mentioned Rush and I used a programme called Spotify to see if I'd like this band called "Rush" It was Nobody's Hero and I loved it right from the first play! I went out the next day and bought Counterparts. I heard Between Sun & Moon next, loved that "aaaaah to yes to aaaah to yes" line! But it wasn't until I heard Everyday Glory that things got serious. That last verse spoke to me. Gave me a crutch to hold up my life, which was shattering around me. I then signed up here and discovered a whole host of lovely people! Moving Pictures was my next adventure. Then I google imaged Rush, fell for Geddy! Turned me into a full blown fan. I now have all albums (on Vinyl as well as CD, bar Counterparts, T4E and Vapor Trails) I have all the DVDs, 4 t shirts, 6 posters and did something that can't be changed back...

Changed my life this.

2.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  653.gif  2.gif  trink39.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  653.gif

I hope, for your sake, that they tour the UK again. Whatever you do, sell everything you own if you need the money, but be ready on-line and buy tickets. Even if, god forbid, you have to pay e-bay prices, get them. If you think they are good on your i-pod, get ready to hit a new high.

I think I heard Hemispheres first, a mate of mine had it on a cassette tape while we were working for his dad. I can't describe what it meant to me. Like an infection it took hold and spread. Strangely, my mate saw them on the Hemi Tour but moved on to different bands after. As for me, I'm still here 30+ years later.

When I saw them live for the first time in Stafford, they opened with 2112 .. .. it was mesmeric. So powerful and familiar. Like coming home.

As long as there are people like you around, there will always be .. .. 2.gif

I'm glad I am not the only one who feels a bit old(er) here. I remember my first Rush song as well. It was New World Man coming out of a clock radio 2" speaker. The second must have been TSOR because my friend's older sister had Permanent Waves and I was sad that NWM was not on it. I was in 5th grade and hooked.

QUOTE (ADesignForRush @ Mar 24 2010, 09:11 PM)

Changed my life this.

2.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 653.gif 2.gif trink39.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 653.gif

If those are the only albums you've been exposed to you haven't even scratched the surface. These albums are the worst of the lot. Prepare for mind=blown for the older recordings. Get busy!

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Mar 25 2010, 01:58 PM)

Changed my life this.

2.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  653.gif  2.gif  trink39.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  653.gif

If those are the only albums you've been exposed to you haven't even scratched the surface. These albums are the worst of the lot. Prepare for mind=blown for the older recordings. Get busy!

It's all there! wink.gif

Thanks people! It's alarming how quickly I went down with this! 6 months is nothing at all! I've heard all the songs and I've decided that Hold Your fire is my favourite album, Mission being my favourite song! Closly followed by Counterparts.

How long did it take you guys to go from first listen to fandom?

I now have all albums (on Vinyl as well as CD, bar Counterparts, T4E and Vapor Trails) I have all the DVDs

Do people not even bother to read other posts in full? She made it very clear she has everything. There's also a good chance she won't share your opinion that the first ones she heard are the worst of the lot. It usually works the opposite way, whatever got you into the band will always be slightly more special.

Edit:

Ok, well, she beat my post by a couple minutes and I was right. wink.gif

and did something that can't be changed back...

Whoa whoa whoa....back the bus up...beep beep beep

I wanna know what this was! laugh.gif

ADesignForRush...

Fantastic...great story, indeed!

Welcome aboard the World of Rush.

I have been a fan since 1976, when I was just a lad of 13.

I felt exactly like you after I heard my first Rush song...it changed my life and I never turned back.

Thanks for sharing!

~RGLT

2.gif

AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

I've only been a Rush fan for 5 years, although that is almost 1/3 of my life. First song I heard was Fly By Night off of a DVD my friend's dad had, not sure what DVD it is but Alex is wearing an orange buttonup shirt I think? Anyway.. I went home and searched for anything by Rush that I could find, 5 years later and I have every song, listen to them all day everyday and am eagerly awaiting a tour that I will get to go to

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Mar 25 2010, 04:01 AM)
that is great, another Rush fan. I gotta tell ya though, after reading all these posts, I feel old. I first heard Rush in 1976 and listened to FBN, CoS, and 2112 as a kid but didnt really "adopt" them into my life until I was 13 in 1981 when I heard MP for the first time and then 2 months later saw them in concert. Full-fledged Rush fan after that.

You might not love the old stuff very much, alot of "new" fans like the newer stuff better and I'm probably in the minority but the '74-81 era is the best (with honorable mention to Signals and GuP).

Whatever you like, it's all good!

i feel the same way, im with you dude trink39.gif 1022.gif

Archived