What is your favorite Muse studio Album  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Muse studio Album

• Showbiz
    • Origin of Symmetry
    • Absolution
    • Black Holes and Revelations
    • The Resistance

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jun 23 2010, 12:23 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 23 2010, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jun 23 2010, 11:40 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 23 2010, 03:28 PM)
Starlight: Great song OR greatest song?

Discuss.

Ok, coming from the perspective of a long-timer; where's the none of the above option?

Starlight is a good song, but it's the worst on BHaR and SHOULD have been dropped for any one of the B-Sides - Easily, Glorious or Crying Shame. To suggest that it's Muse's greatest song, well, that's just absurd. And before you counter with the opinion argument, opinion doesn't even come into it! To say Starlight is Muse's greatest song is wrong. Plain, flat-out wrong!!!

Of course, I'm typing slightly tongue-in-cheek above, but I am curious of the reasons you'd consider Starlight their greatest song, above the other songs universally recognised as awesome.

Of course my post wasn't meant to be completely serious... I just happen to really be digging Starlight right now. My favorite song by Muse is probably Knights of Cydonia. cool.gif

I don't think there is a universally "greatest song ever" by any band. I think every individual person has their favorites.

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't claim there was a universal 'greatest song ever' for Muse. Just that those songs that every Muse fan loves are also the songs that would be voted ahead of aforementioned song 90 to 95% of the time.

Besides, your question asked if it was the greatest which means we move away from opinions and into the realms of universal acclaim, majority votes and whatnot.

Plus, regardless of individual opinion, Starlight isn't the greatest Muse song. wink.gif

Well you said above songs that are "universally recognized as awesome".

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 24 2010, 03:59 AM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jun 23 2010, 12:23 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 23 2010, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jun 23 2010, 11:40 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 23 2010, 03:28 PM)
Starlight: Great song OR greatest song?

Discuss.

Ok, coming from the perspective of a long-timer; where's the none of the above option?

Starlight is a good song, but it's the worst on BHaR and SHOULD have been dropped for any one of the B-Sides - Easily, Glorious or Crying Shame. To suggest that it's Muse's greatest song, well, that's just absurd. And before you counter with the opinion argument, opinion doesn't even come into it! To say Starlight is Muse's greatest song is wrong. Plain, flat-out wrong!!!

Of course, I'm typing slightly tongue-in-cheek above, but I am curious of the reasons you'd consider Starlight their greatest song, above the other songs universally recognised as awesome.

Of course my post wasn't meant to be completely serious... I just happen to really be digging Starlight right now. My favorite song by Muse is probably Knights of Cydonia. cool.gif

I don't think there is a universally "greatest song ever" by any band. I think every individual person has their favorites.

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't claim there was a universal 'greatest song ever' for Muse. Just that those songs that every Muse fan loves are also the songs that would be voted ahead of aforementioned song 90 to 95% of the time.

Besides, your question asked if it was the greatest which means we move away from opinions and into the realms of universal acclaim, majority votes and whatnot.

Plus, regardless of individual opinion, Starlight isn't the greatest Muse song. wink.gif

Well you said above songs that are "universally recognized as awesome".

Look, you said discuss, so i discussed. If you don't like discussion don't put discuss in the statement. I know it's a trendy and cool word to put so people don't have to elaborate further, but, you said discuss. And I'm doing so.

So, instead of going off on a tangent, why do YOU consider Starlight greater than (and I'll word this better) other songs in Muse's back catalogue, including songs that have brought them fame and critical acclaim.

Does that make you happier? wink.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 23 2010, 08:37 PM)
Is "Starlight" the greatest Muse song ever? No, but I like it a lot, and it's amazing in concert. Hearing the entire crowd sing it in unision at the show blew my mind.

Anyways, I guess if I had to pick one favorite song, I'd pick "Butterflies and Hurricanes". Four others (so I can make it a top five) would be "Knights of Cydonia", "New Born", "Plug in Baby", and "Sunburn", I guess. BH&R is still my favorite album, followed by a tie between Origin of Symmetry and Absolution. However, Showbiz has edged out The Resistance because of the awesomeness of "Sunburn", the bluesy "Falling Down", the spookiness of "Showbiz", and the beauty of "Unintended".

I love "SunBurn" its my favorite song off the debut. That and "Uno" are my 2 favorites from the debut

QUOTE (Soni @ Jun 25 2010, 06:59 AM)
I just don't get Muse, it's strange, I should like them.
I just don't... it's strange!

Same with me. A lot of friends like them and people here seem to really dig them, but I can't get into it. They seem to put on a good show for their fans though, props for that at least.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 25 2010, 08:13 AM)

Same with me. A lot of friends like them and people here seem to really dig them, but I can't get into it. They seem to put on a good show for their fans though, props for that at least.

I get why others don't like them. They are certainly different and far more theatrical in their music and their shows than most bands. Bellamy has an aria (not sure if that is the right term) type of sound in his singing on a lot of their songs. It gets a bit long in the tooth for some, but I like it. I like the combo of opera and rock together for something unique and they do it pretty well. Of course, they also flat out jam in places as well.

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Jun 25 2010, 08:41 AM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 25 2010, 08:13 AM)

I get why others don't like them. They are certainly different and far more theatrical in their music and their shows than most bands. Bellamy has an aria (not sure if that is the right term) type of sound in his singing on a lot of their songs. It gets a bit long in the tooth for some, but I like it. I like the combo of opera and rock together for something unique and they do it pretty well. Of course, they also flat out jam in places as well.

I wonder if its Matt's singing that puts most people off? As a fan of The Darkness and Rush I am used to "Unique" singers. I love Matt's voice and to me is one of the best parts of the band.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jun 26 2010, 05:23 PM)
Muse are KILLING Glastonbury right now. I can only wish I were there, but it is raising the old anticipation for Wembley now.

Compared to Gorillaz' rather lukewarm set last night, Muse have this festival in their back pockets.

You remember Wales all your life rainin' down as cold as ice

A Shadow of a band

A Welsh face through a window

Cryin' in the night

no ticket for the gig and now it's morning.

Just another band

happy people pass your way

Looking in their eyes you see Matthew

You never realized how happy Muse made you...

Oh

Mandy

well you want to see Muse without quaking

But they sent you away

oh Mandy

Well you kissed Dominic Howard and he was naked

And he needs you today

oh Mandy.

You're standing on the edge of the bed

Trying out some air guitar moves of a crazy kind

Caught up in a world of up-hill Muse Musing

The tears are in your mind and your air licks aren't cruising.

Oh

Mandy

well you ran to your muse poster heart aching

but someone took them away

Oh Mandy

you cry till you find yourself waking

to another Museless rainy day

Oh Mandy

Yesterday's a dream-Mandy faced the morning

Musing on a breeze

IPOD pain is calling

Oh

Mandy

well you came to nod your head to Muse and no faking

but your ticket flew away

in a wind from the grating

now you look for a lay

Oh Mandy

QUOTE (Wartypig @ Jun 30 2010, 10:51 AM)
The best version of Where The Streets Have No Name ...EVER.....Muse at Glasto , with The Edge..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yX1avvACZM

I think that proves how well U2 would've gone down at Glasto had Bono not suffered that injury! Would've made it all the more difficult for poor old Stevie I reckon. Still, instead of that we could've had Exogenesis Part 1 (or Parts 2 and 3 for that matter), Bliss, Take A Bow, Sing For Absolution, Microcuts, Butterflies & Hurricanes etc etc!

The best about that song is seeing Muse being able to pull off something that big and evocative without sounding flat. The future is looking pretty bright for 'em.

QUOTE (Wartypig @ Jun 30 2010, 06:51 AM)
The best version of Where The Streets Have No Name ...EVER.....Muse at Glasto , with The Edge..

That was f***ing amazing. Holy shit, I'm jealous of everyone who was there. Tipping my hat to Muse and The Edge. 1287.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 30 2010, 08:55 AM)
QUOTE (Wartypig @ Jun 30 2010, 05:51 AM)

1022.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif very nice!

Second! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Next to Rush, they are becoming my favorite 'current' band. Do they EVER stop touring? Holy cow!!

QUOTE (Wartypig @ Jun 30 2010, 04:36 PM)
Bollocks ! ! !....The BBC have had it removed....Arseholes angry.gif

It's still on there if you look for it wink.gif

It'll be on the DVD I'd imagine. I reckon it'll be either the Glasto show (like the Abso Tour DVD) or the second Wembley Date for a Resistance Tour DVD. Although, with the stage design they'll probably want one of their own shows.

QUOTE (Wartypig @ Jun 30 2010, 12:36 PM)
Bollocks ! ! !....The BBC have had it removed....Arseholes angry.gif

It's still on there if you look for it wink.gif

In that case, I'm gonna try and find it, then download it. Shh! laugh.gif

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Jun 30 2010, 03:56 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 30 2010, 08:55 AM)
QUOTE (Wartypig @ Jun 30 2010, 05:51 AM)

1022.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif very nice!

Second! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Next to Rush, they are becoming my favorite 'current' band. Do they EVER stop touring? Holy cow!!

Same here, they've firmly displaced Yes as my second favourite band !!

As for the Glatonbury show, the whole concert is up on Dime and it is absolutely awesome.....had it blaring away at lunchtime in the house yesterday cool.gif

T-minus 13 days.....and counting. 1022.gif Friday night, October 8th - Ford Center, OKC - If you are anywhere near OKC, you should really consider the trip. An amazing concert experience!

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Sep 24 2010, 12:19 PM)
HYSTERIA

T-minus 13 days.....and counting.  1022.gif  Friday night, October 8th - Ford Center, OKC  -  If you are anywhere near OKC, you should really consider the trip. An amazing concert experience!

I'm kind of upset that they don't play anywhere nearby, but I'm glad that they're hitting places that they didn't get to earlier this year. Hope you have fun, my show was a blast!

The only way someone could say possibly The Resistance is if they haven't heard the first three albums yet...and, if they're a POP fan, instead of a PROG fan...I actually was only halfsies on BH&R, but I've completely jumped ship for the new one...I think it's corny as all heck...I think it's as corny as the word 'heck'.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 25 2010, 12:44 PM)
The only way someone could say possibly The Resistance is if they haven't heard the first three albums yet...and, if they're a POP fan, instead of a PROG fan...I actually was only halfsies on BH&R, but I've completely jumped ship for the new one...I think it's corny as all heck...I think it's as corny as the word 'heck'.

I disagree..... It teeters along that line of Pop/Prog/Alt just as much as any of the previous albums did....but you cannot deny that "Exogenesis" is undoubtedly the most "prog" the band has ever been...

Right now, The Resistance is about tied with "Absolution" I cannot decide which is better...

I've had to rethink my favorite Muse album, and Origin is starting to edge itself in as my favorite. If the rest of Absolution was as strong as those first ten (okay, eight... the other two are the intro and interlude) songs, it would be perfect, but as it is, it's an album with eight perfect songs, then four okay songs. And those songs aren't bad at all, they're just a drop in quality from the songs before it. I think once I give Origin some more of those focused listens, it'll lodge itself as my favorite Muse record. The debut isn't that far off, either - it's not as good as Origin or Abso, but it's still pretty damn solid.