Post Punk

Xanadoood

Anyone else have hard time with this style, and the fanbase that supports it?..

I recently met up with some old college friends, who, in the early 90s, were all about the " Indie Rock" and post punk scene. Now, we have been having this discussion for years regarding the merits of Punk and how Prog sucks, according to them. I asked them about Porcupine Tree and Muse, and they just sort of chuckled confused13.gif Ive never understood the whole " 3 chords and the truth" bullshit that these bands and their followers throw out there. I like some of that stuff, Husker du, the Replacements, some Sonic Youth, but i find most of it really shitty and annoying.

The night we hung out, their was this band that everyone was psyched to see, and the drummer was actually guiding the bass player as to what key the songs were in..you could see him mouthing the keys to her while hes laying down a real out of time rythmic pattern..just insane...but everyone loved them!...i get the whole bringing it down to earth and keeping it basic for the common man, but ill just never get how you can not like a musician cause they can actually PLAY their instruments...

Anyone else have to deal with these annoying type of Prog haters?..

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have tried over the years to get into those bands that you have mentioned.

Jim Rome's favorite all time band are The Replacements. They bore me to tears, but I do have "Pleased To Meet Me."

As for Sonic Youth I do own "Goo" on MFSL gold cd.

I think it's still sealed! laugh.gif

I'm too old to have to worry about this kind of stuff. Not many people have ever heard of anything I listen to, and that is fine with me.

As far as that punky stuff. Its not Scottish and its certainly crap! atickhum.gif

Are Husker Du and The Replacements considered post-punk?

Husker Du is a wall of noise that, if you can get through several listens, will greatly reward you.

The Replacements' Let It Be is a brilliant mishmash of rock and roll genres. Both respectful and irreverent, it's one of the greatest albums of all-time. Yes, of all-time!!!!!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 20 2010, 11:54 PM)

Husker Du is a wall of noise that, if you can get through several listens, will greatly reward you.

The Replacements' Let It Be is a brilliant mishmash of rock and roll genres. Both respectful and irreverent, it's one of the greatest albums of all-time. Yes, of all-time!!!!!

I stand corrected. I actually love Let it Be , and they did indeed rock.

How bout someone like the Pixies?..cant stand them, but people worship that shit. And then take swipes at actual musicians. Just baffles me.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Feb 21 2010, 12:30 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 20 2010, 11:54 PM)

The Replacements' Let It Be is a brilliant mishmash of rock and roll genres.  Both respectful and irreverent, it's one of the greatest albums of all-time.  Yes, of all-time!!!!!

I stand corrected. I actually love Let it Be , and they did indeed rock.

How bout someone like the Pixies?..cant stand them, but people worship that shit. And then take swipes at actual musicians. Just baffles me.

I love the Pixies. I was totally into them. But I do think their material does not live up to its reputation. All of their albums are inconsistent. My biggest gripe is a lot of their songs sound half finished. I think they were a very good band that helped ignite grunge and the whole "hair band" rebellion of the early 90's, but they never really fulfilled their potential. They missed their opportunity to be great and not just good. I still love 'em, though.

I like the Pixies and Frank Black's stuff after the Pixies. Maybe the solo stuff is even better. Sonic Youth...I think are freakin' great too. I love punk...as long as Green Day and that stuff is not punk.

I don't know if I'm sure what post punk means, but I'm assuming it's the bands after the Clash and the Ramones that were...I don't know...like Television? Dinosaur jr could be part of this group of bands, and they were so, so great. Naked Raygun? Because I'm obviously a fan of the Gun. I guess I would call them a hardcore band...or something like that. And is this Talking Heads territory? I love them and put them in there with a Replacements (like 'em).

I like lots of stuff. This stuff was kind of cool when I was coming up. Sonic Youth was like...prog/punk. It's definitely not a lot like anything else. Being that I'm not sure what the genres are...I guess I'm free to just dig it all.

So I like post punk I think. Especially if Dino jr is in.

I am confused here, I was under the impression that post punk (at least to me) did not mean punk. When I hear the term, I immediately think of bands emerging from the punk scene in the late 70's/early 80's that strayed away from the typical punk sound. Bands like Joy Division, The Cure, Bauhaus, Television, Gang Of Four, Echo & The Bunnymen, Talking Heads are what I think of when I hear the term.

I've always seen post-punk as a precursor for New Wave in the mid-80's, a genre which a lot of the post-punk bands earlier in the decade naturally migrated to. I don't know very much about post-punk fans hating on prog, but am aware of the punk/prog differences.

I was confused also! That's why I asked if Husker Du and The Replacements are considered post-punk. I always thought post-punk was mainly English bands like Joy Divsion, The Fall, Bauhaus, etc. I guess this is an example of the futility of labeling music. Anyway, I simply went with the flow...

I consider the B52's and Blondie to be post-punk. Both were popular at CBGB and Max's Kansas City in the late 1970's which was a punk rock watering hole. Early albums from both of these bands had a punk edge to them but were watered down enough to include some pop.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 21 2010, 02:18 PM)
I consider the B52's and Blondie to be post-punk. Both were popular at CBGB and Max's Kansas City in the late 1970's which was a punk rock watering hole. Early albums from both of these bands had a punk edge to them but were watered down enough to include some pop.

Jeez. Aren't they New Wave, which is an offshoot of Post-Punk, which is an offshoot of Punk? wacko.gif And where does Alternative Rock fit in with all this? confused13.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 21 2010, 02:29 PM)

Jeez. Aren't they New Wave, which is an offshoot of Post-Punk, which is an offshoot of Punk? wacko.gif And where does Alternative Rock fit in with all this? confused13.gif

new wave IS post punk.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 21 2010, 02:33 PM)

new wave IS post punk.

Ahhh! Are there any minor differences to determine what label is used? Is New Wave more poppy and Post-Punk more raw? I'm still confused!!! laugh.gif Or is everything after Punk considered Post-Punk, which would mean The Replacements are New Wave? Or Post-Punk? Or Alternative? confused13.gif

Alternative is too much of a 1990's term. I consider alternative as experimental music and very abstract.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 21 2010, 02:39 PM)

new wave IS post punk.

Ahhh! Are there any minor differences to determine what label is used? Is New Wave more poppy and Post-Punk more raw? I'm still confused!!! laugh.gif Or is everything after Punk considered Post-Punk, which would mean The Replacements are New Wave? Or Post-Punk? Or Alternative? confused13.gif

Heres a good article and description of what is termed " post punk"..

http://www.essortment.com/all/undergroundmus_pdb.htm

Again, i like SOME of this stuff, but ill never get the bashing of bands who have chops and great musicianship. Just pisses me off.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Feb 21 2010, 12:27 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 21 2010, 02:39 PM)

new wave IS post punk.

Heres a good article and description of what is termed " post punk"..

http://www.essortment.com/all/undergroundmus_pdb.htm

Again, i like SOME of this stuff, but ill never get the bashing of bands who have chops and great musicianship. Just pisses me off.

I always thought the whole musicianship bashing went more along with the punk scene moreso than the post-punk scene. It is hard for me to consider a lot of post-punk bands as new wave as new wave seems more electronic and pop oriented than post-punk.

Post-punk is definitely not punk though. Both styles are similar in thier stance in anti-establishment and not adhering to mainstream norms, but its the attitude and approach that make them so completely different. Punk is highly passionate, aggressive and rebellious in nature and the music is used as a vehicle to spread a message. Post-punk on the other hand comes off as completely apathetic towards establishmentand uses the music as a vehicle for artistic expresion. Their rebellion lies not in outward opposition, but in simple non-conformity. I see more of a similarity with goth rock and post-punk, as represented by bands like Joy Division, Bauhaus and early Cure to name a few.

New Wave and Alternative both developed from post-punk, but it would be hard to consider them as the same. New Wave embraced the electronic sound and a more melodic song structure that pushed them into popularity in the mid 80's. Alternative is a term I'd also reserve for the 90's anti-metal scene, with a few notable exceptions in the 80's that were inspirational for a lot of the big 90's bands like The Smiths, Sonic Youth, The Pixies for example.

the B52's and Blondie were new wave and initially did not use electronica.

New Wave does not equate to using synths, although many eventually did, but so did a lot of hard rock bands (Journey, Jefferson Starship, etc...)

New Wave was a very stripped down form of rock just like punk but was more accessible. You didn't need to be a viruoso rock guitarist.

New wave was just a more polished version of punk. True, synths did enter the picture later though.

B52's - Dance This Mess Around

B52s - Strobe Light, 53 Miles West of Venus

QUOTE (Ultra @ Feb 21 2010, 01:41 PM)
When I hear the term, I immediately think of bands emerging from the punk scene in the late 70's/early 80's that strayed away from the typical punk sound. Bands like Joy Division, The Cure, Bauhaus, Television, Gang Of Four, Echo & The Bunnymen, Talking Heads are what I think of when I hear the term.

That's what post punk is. It was a pre-cursor to goth and new wave. Add Southern Death Cult, Gene Loves Jezebel, and Siouxsie and the Banshees to the mix and you have an idea of the post punk scene at the time.

I'm a huge fan of the 'style' of post-punk.

I wouldn't really consider Sonic Youth a post-punk band.

They're more noise-based and only their first album really has a 'punk' sound to it, and even there it sounds more like just an influence to me.

Post-punk, to me, is bands who have the punk aesthetic but the music is more experimental.

Take a band like Wire. Their first record, Pink Flag was straight-up stripped-down punk rock. The songs were mostly extremely short and to the point. There's no other way to describe it in my opinion.

Their second record, Chairs Missing, is completely different. It retains a small bit of their faster, punkier side from the first one, but synths are now an integral part of their sound, and a lot of the songs are built on synth structures.

Then, their third album, 154, almost completely does away with the 'punk' stylings and features darker, almost gothic, rock, with tons of effects on the guitar such as flanging, & lots more synths.

But other groups like Pere Ubu, The Raincoats, The Pop Group, etc.

Those groups are "true" post-punk.

Archived