Post Punk

Xanadoood

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Feb 24 2010, 07:39 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Feb 24 2010, 06:38 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Feb 24 2010, 04:40 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Feb 24 2010, 04:34 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Feb 24 2010, 04:30 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Feb 24 2010, 03:47 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Feb 24 2010, 02:26 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Feb 23 2010, 01:43 PM)
And please explain to me how classic Zep, Sabbath, and the Who were boring?..I cant jump on board with that one.

I can't speak for everyone, but I find those bands "boring" because you are inundated with their music. You can't go a day without hearing a song by one of those bands. I grew up listening to them, but by the time I was 18, I had heard Stairway to Heaven so much that it was no longer special.

Punk, Post-Punk, New Wave, Alternative, what ever you want to call it was something different for me that sounded fresh and incredibly creative. Joy Division, Echo & The Bunnymen, Husker Du (and later Bob Mould solo stuff), The Afghan Whigs, The Cure, Bad Religion, Social Distortion, The Violent Fems, The Replacements, Siouxsie and the Banshees, REM (up to Green), Catherine Wheel, The Ramones, The Clash, and countless others brought me back to a music scene that had gotten very stale in my world. They weren't talentless. They just went in a different direction with their style.

I'd rather hear "Love will tear us apart" over "We won't get fooled again" any day of the week, because LWTUA still sounds fresh over 30 years later.

Im not disagreeing with you Snwdog. And i as well was very much into the early 90s scene when in college. The problem i had was that, when talking about classic rock bands, a lot of the dudes from that scene just sort of dismissed it outright, like they discovered the holy grail of music , and if your roots didnt come from the Ramones and The Clash, two bands i love, you werent legit. Its not as much about the music, as a lot of the fanbase. The Replacements rock, The Clash rock, The Ramones rock,Mission of Burma rock..but dont be an elitist prick ( not you ) and dismiss a whole genre.

Xanadoood...I think you may be looking at it wrong. You got to remember the kind of people who seek out these kinds of bands. We were looking for a sound that was different. A sound that wasn't the norm. The reason this genre of music ultimately got dubbed "Alternative" was because it wasn't popular. Bands that became successfully were considered "Sell Outs", because they were subscribing to the norm instead of pushing the envelope with their sound. If you got lots of recognition, you could not longer be in the group photo with Fugazi and Husker Du.

It's not so much an elitist thing. It's a sell out thing. The "post-punk" bands are supposed to be somewhat underground. There is nothing underground about The Who or Zeppelin. Remember that punk was spawned as a rebellion from the norm...and the norm was the stadium rock bands.

Take early REM and then listen to their later work. One is raw and emotional. The other is elevator music (IMO).

If you try to make music for the masses...you are out of the club.

Oh i know dude. I come from the Boston area. HUGE indie scene here. I mean, back in the 90s, if you were a metal band, it was tough. Indie rock ruled. I just have been debating this for years with dudes from the scene, who , because of the whole " sell out " factor, basically turn into jerks about " keeping it real" and rippin mainstream bands. I like both scenes, and can appreciate both sides.

Ever listen to Buffalo Tom? They were out of the Boston area. They put a couple of decent albums during the late 80's /early 90's.

Oww...and who could forget the Pixies!

I know some guys who know the guys in Buffalo Tom. How bout Letters To Cleo?..I think the drummer in them formed American Hi Fi. Juliana Hatfield is cool as well. And of course Dinasaour jr. J Mascis is a rippin guitarist.

There is one song from Letters to Cleo that I love, and I can't remember the name right now(but I have the song in my head). Love Juliana Hatfield's voice. I melt when I hear it. Dino Jr. Rocks. I have the CD with Puke n Cry and the wagon. That's a really good CD.

Isn't Throwing Muses from the Boston area too?

Heres an interesting fact about Juliana ....she went to Berklee college of music!..

Throwing Muses is from Newport, R.I....i looked it up.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

anyone who thinks old school punk rock or " post punk " anything after the late 70s punk rock is easy to play or write should try it sometime.

s.n.f.u, crumbsuckers, & bad brains are nowhere near the label given by some as a limited 3 chord rock act. the music is superb.

Even the exploited, the nunfuckers, d.r.i. etc were all also class acts.

word to yo mutha! 1022.gif

ACDC AND AEROSMITH were three chord rock bands and one of em was even good!!!

QUOTE (rotting @ Feb 24 2010, 08:38 PM)
anyone who thinks old school punk rock or " post punk " anything after the late 70s punk rock is easy to play or write should try it sometime.

s.n.f.u, crumbsuckers, & bad brains are nowhere near the label given by some as a limited 3 chord rock act. the music is superb.

Dr. Know is a sick guitarist, yes.

I hope you were referring to AC/DC, preferably the Bon Scott version.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Feb 24 2010, 09:10 PM)

word to yo mutha!  1022.gif

How could he have possibly meant ACDC? They suck!!! yes.gif

pokey.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 24 2010, 05:28 PM)
It's the fans of those styles of music I often take umbrage with, with their "hipper than thou" attitudes, looking down on me for preferring Classic Rock and Progressive Rock, etc.  I think a lot of them are elitist jackasses.

Yeah, you never see prog fans like that. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Feb 24 2010, 09:42 PM)
It's the fans of those styles of music I often take umbrage with, with their "hipper than thou" attitudes, looking down on me for preferring Classic Rock and Progressive Rock, etc.  I think a lot of them are elitist jackasses.

93, i think it used to be like that back in the 70s perhaps, but now i believe most Prog fans are more open to different styles. They tend to be very experimental with their tastes.They arent really listening to a certain style of music to be all anti-establishment.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Feb 24 2010, 09:42 PM)

laugh.gif

Good point!

As someone who straddles both camps, I have to say it's Prog fans who are the most opinionated, look-down-their-noses, smug, sanctimonious jackasses. And the whole technical dexterity, "never mind the quality, feel the girth" wankfest......it gets boring.

Most people I know who like alternative music just haven't heard of the prog bands I love. Simple as.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 25 2010, 06:39 AM)
As someone who straddles both camps, I have to say it's Prog fans who are the most opinionated, look-down-their-noses, smug, sanctimonious jackasses. And the whole technical dexterity, "never mind the quality, feel the girth" wankfest......it gets boring.

You know it's funny, I really never ran into this kind of situation. Sure I have met people along the way who got on their soapbox, but it was very rare. The majority of people I have known over the years are accepting of any music you may or may not listen to. Granted my crowd has always been people into Goth and Industrial music and to be honest I never really knew anyone into Prog until joining here. I never really cared for Prog myself. I would never look down on anyone though for liking the genre nor would I put those bands down. I would simply say it's not my thing.

http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr250/VarianStar/South20Park20Goths.jpg

Conformist

Not to crap on anyone's parade, but I really can't get into The Replacements.

I've listened to their three major records (Let it Be, Tim, & Pleased to Meet Me) and I am just not getting anything out of them.

I mean I don't have to like them, but I can't see why I don't.

On paper they look good, but when I listen to them it just sounds boring.

QUOTE (Rush! @ Feb 25 2010, 12:26 PM)

It's like you are reading my mind! That's exactly what I think when I listen to them, why don't I like these guys??

QUOTE (VarianStar @ Feb 25 2010, 11:28 AM)

It's like you are reading my mind! That's exactly what I think when I listen to them, why don't I like these guys??

Hahaha that's crazy.

But yeah I don't know what it is.

I can't decide if it's the songwriting, or maybe the production.

It seems like they have good songs but I can just never get into it, or "feel" it when I listen to them you know?

QUOTE (Rush! @ Feb 25 2010, 12:35 PM)

Hahaha that's crazy.

It seems like they have good songs but I can just never get into it, or "feel" it when I listen to them you know?

Yep! I know exactly what you mean. I definitely feel nothing when I listen to them which is crazy, but what can you do? People have said the same thing to me about The Pixies and I guess they are both just bands that either grab you or they don't. The Pixies definitely hooked me the first time I heard "Broken Face". I finally gave up on The Replacements, it just wasn't going to happen.

QUOTE (VarianStar @ Feb 25 2010, 11:42 AM)

Hahaha that's crazy.

Yep! I know exactly what you mean. I definitely feel nothing when I listen to them which is crazy, but what can you do? People have said the same thing to me about The Pixies and I guess they are both just bands that either grab you or they don't. The Pixies definitely hooked me the first time I heard "Broken Face". I finally gave up on The Replacements, it just wasn't going to happen.

I see what you mean.

It's funny that you mention The Pixies, they're another group who I can't seem to adore as much as everyone else.

I love "Where is My Mind?" and that's about it.

Actually I'm a big fan of their Come on Pilgrim EP.

But I can't dig Surfer Rosa or Doolittle either, and I've tried listening to them both multiple times.

Lately, I've been into soft rock music of the 70's and 80's (i.e. Christopher Cross, Air Supply, etc...) because I love the nostalgia that goes with it.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 25 2010, 01:32 PM)
Lately, I've been into soft rock music of the 70's and 80's (i.e. Christopher Cross, Air Supply, etc...) because I love the nostalgia that goes with it.

Isn't it great how music can instantly bring you back to a specific time (good or bad) in your past? That always amazes me, how powerful a song can be.

QUOTE (Rush! @ Feb 25 2010, 01:25 PM)
QUOTE (VarianStar @ Feb 25 2010, 11:42 AM)

Hahaha that's crazy.

I see what you mean.

It's funny that you mention The Pixies, they're another group who I can't seem to adore as much as everyone else.

I love "Where is My Mind?" and that's about it.

Actually I'm a big fan of their Come on Pilgrim EP.

But I can't dig Surfer Rosa or Doolittle either, and I've tried listening to them both multiple times.

laugh.gif And those are my two favorite albums by them!

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 25 2010, 05:39 AM)

Most people I know who like alternative music just haven't heard of the prog bands I love. Simple as.

Took the words out of my mouth laugh.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Feb 25 2010, 02:56 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 25 2010, 05:39 AM)

Took the words out of my mouth laugh.gif

And thats sort of part of the problem. I mean, being a music fan, you should open yourself up to different styles. Not just latch on to one scene. Good and bad in everything. From my experience, a lot of the indie crowd just doesnt want to listen to Prog because they feel it " lacks emotion" , the same old tired argument. I just find it sad that they can shut themselves out like that.

Xanadoood....I thought of another Boston band that I love. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. Question the Answers is a great CD! 1022.gif

Don't know if I would call them post punk. It's like someone else posted earlier...there is good music and bad music. Bosstones certainly fall into the good group...and if you had to categorize them....I guess they are ska, but they have some edge to them.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Feb 25 2010, 04:58 PM)
Xanadoood....I thought of another Boston band that I love. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. Question the Answers is a great CD! 1022.gif

Don't know if I would call them post punk. It's like someone else posted earlier...there is good music and bad music. Bosstones certainly fall into the good group...and if you had to categorize them....I guess they are ska, but they have some edge to them.

Best Boston band = the Dropkick Murphys /end discussion

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Feb 24 2010, 09:10 PM)

we have internet win. trink39.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Feb 25 2010, 03:58 PM)

Ive seen the Bosstones back in the day. Funny story about them actually.

They played for the local college radio station i was at, and they were less than respectfull to the staff. They were told to keep it cool, and they ended up getting blitzed on air laugh.gif The lead singer, Dicky Barret, was quite the character.

Archived