"Aja" Backwards Is "Aja." The Greatest Steely Dan

RUSHHEAD666

The backing vocals of Michael "Ronald" McDonald. laugh.gif

"Aja" is the greatest Steely Dan album of all time.

Do you agree?

What is yours?

I know Earthshine recently wrote a thread about the great Steely Dan, but let's talk about their albums.

I'm serious about my hatred for Michael McDonald.

Those backing vocals on "Peg" bug the shit out of me, yet I love Steve Gadd's drumming so much that I can tolerate it.

I love the Doobie Brothers too! cool10.gif

It is quite obvious that once Michael entered that band that he totally fuckked it up.

RUINED.... FAIL! (for TICK)

How do you go from "The Captain And Me" to "Minute By Minute?"

Timebomb ticking, ticking and a ticking.

Could you imagine if RUSH hired Michael McDonald to do Geddy's back up vocal tracks on the new stupid "download" ep or whatever you want to call it? Lame.

I would never pay a dollar to hear a new Rush song with McDonald on it.

Bad idea. Bad thread.

"What's in your wallet?"

1022.gif

laugh.gif

the second to last time i saw the dan Michael McDonald opened and joined them on stage for several songs.

MM is on all three of the best dan discs as i rate them

katy lied

the royal scam

aja

he also was on gaucho if i am not mistaken. gaucho is good but not as good as the ones listed above or the earlier discs IMO.

not a faon of his solo work but for background vocals he works well IMO.

One of the best sounding albums ever. Just so crisp. Each instrument shines through. Brilliant collection of songs.

Earl, you should check out the making of Aja. Great stuff. They break it all down in the studio.

tp://www.amazon.com/Classic-Albums-Steely-Dan-Aja/dp/6305772649

he played on pretzel logic too. gary katz was the producer of aja and most of the other dan records and here is his take on MM.

"Another major change in the structure of the band occurs when Michael McDonald follows Baxter to join the Doobie Brothers as the lead vocalist, prompting Gary Katz to comment, "Michael's role as a backup singer is the ultimate waste of talent." "

http://www.steelydan.com/faq.html

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Feb 16 2010, 11:39 AM)

Love this album. My personal favorite. Didn't they just tour and do this whole album? or maybe it is a tour to come this year confused13.gif

yes, they did. they also did all of gaucho, all of the royal scam and an internet vote show.

that was for select dates and most dates ( like mine ) was just a typical although they played almost all of aja when i saw them.

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 15 2010, 06:57 AM)
A true masterpiece! One of the 10 greatest albums of all time. 1022.gif

1022.gif

Tick, I am listening to "Aja" right now. Third time in three days.

I can't get enough of it. I listened to "The Royal Scam" and "Gaucho" tonight as well.

I love those records too, but nothing can touch "Aja!"

1022.gif

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Feb 16 2010, 09:39 AM)

Love this album. My personal favorite. Didn't they just tour and do this whole album? or maybe it is a tour to come this year confused13.gif

Hey Cindy!

I knew of this thanks to Tangy. Heck Steely Dan played like four shows here in the Bay Area and I didn't make any of them.

I remember that the first show in San Jose was the "Aja" record all the way through.

I missed it hence I FAIL.

Pisses me off right now to be honest.

Oh well, no one can touch the drumming of Steve Gadd on this record.

Neil could never lay down these tracks. tongue.gif

Steely Dan makes me vibrate with joy. wink.gif

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Feb 15 2010, 11:13 AM)
One of the best sounding albums ever. Just so crisp. Each instrument shines through. Brilliant collection of songs.

Earl, you should check out the making of Aja. Great stuff. They break it all down in the studio.

Hey doood!

Glad I revisited this thread tonight!

I am the proud owner of that "Aja" dvd! The "Classic Albums" dvd line is well, CLASSIC!

I own most of them!

Larry Carlton is an AJA GOD! That would be "DOG AJA" backwards!

trink39.gif

Aja is perhaps their best album. So many styles on it. Absolutely love every track on it except for Black Cow which is okay. Home At Last is superb. BTW, Gadd did not play drums on Peg. That was either Jim Keltner or Ed Greene. I think it was Jim Keltner who definitely played on Josie. Gaddy (as Carl Palmer calls him rofl3.gif ) only played on the title track.

Hey! Do you remember FM? Great song and great movie from what I have heard. I remember when it came out but never got to see it.

Man, those were great days. Life was so different then.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Feb 17 2010, 12:07 AM)
Aja is perhaps their best album. So many styles on it. Absolutely love every track on it except for Black Cow which is okay. Home At Last is superb. BTW, Gadd did not play drums on Peg. That was either Jim Keltner or Ed Greene. I think it was Jim Keltner who definitely played on Josie. Gaddy (as Carl Palmer calls him rofl3.gif ) only played on the title track.

Hey! Do you remember FM? Great song and great movie from what I have heard. I remember when it came out but never got to see it.

Man, those were great days. Life was so different then.

You have excellent Steely Dan knowledge. I thought Gadd played on every track.

Heck yeah I love FM! Great movie too!

trink39.gif

I love "Black Cow" by the way! wub.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Feb 17 2010, 01:55 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Feb 15 2010, 11:13 AM)

Hey doood!

Glad I revisited this thread tonight!

I am the proud owner of that "Aja" dvd! The "Classic Albums" dvd line is well, CLASSIC!

I own most of them!

Larry Carlton is an AJA GOD! That would be "DOG AJA" backwards!

trink39.gif

Yeah, that Classic album series rocks. I also have The Number of the Beast and British steel.

The rumour is that they are working on Moving Pictures. That should be amazing!

1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Feb 16 2010, 10:33 AM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Feb 15 2010, 04:59 PM)
Aja is a brilliant album.
It has the perfect 70s sound to it.
No faults in the engineering whatsoever.

Favorite songs for me are Black Cow, Deacon Blues, & Josie.

goodpost.gif trink39.gif yes.gif

Agree with all of that!

trink39.gif

Gadd only played on the title track.

Rick Marotta played on Peg, and Jim Keltner played Josie.

Don't forget the awesome Bernard Purdie on Deacon Blues and Home at Last. trink38.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Feb 17 2010, 01:52 AM)

Love this album.  My personal favorite.  Didn't they just tour and do this whole album? or maybe it is a tour to come this year  confused13.gif

Hey Cindy!

I knew of this thanks to Tangy. Heck Steely Dan played like four shows here in the Bay Area and I didn't make any of them.

I remember that the first show in San Jose was the "Aja" record all the way through.

I had wondered whether or not you had caught one of those shows.

larry carlton was performing with them on certain nights too this tour.

my show this summer was killer with lots of surprises including FM!

QUOTE (tangy @ Feb 17 2010, 09:37 AM)

Love this album.  My personal favorite.  Didn't they just tour and do this whole album? or maybe it is a tour to come this year  confused13.gif

Hey Cindy!

Damn Tang! I blew it big time!! I wish I had gone to at least the "Aja" show.

I listened to "Katy Lied" twice last night and I must say it's damn good and gives "Aja" a run for it's money.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Feb 22 2010, 06:45 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Feb 17 2010, 09:37 AM)

Hey Cindy!

Damn Tang! I blew it big time!! I wish I had gone to at least the "Aja" show.

I listened to "Katy Lied" twice last night and I must say it's damn good and gives "Aja" a run for it's money.

yeah, its got great energy and a crazy. SD are my second favorite group only to Rush so I pretty much love all their discs.

My faves from KL are Doctor Wu, Bad Sneakers, Everyones gone to the movies and Daddy don't live in that NYC no more and Any World.

Any Major Dude Will Tell You that another all time favorite Dan song is Barrytown from pretzel logic.

Barrytown

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 17 2010, 09:20 PM)
Aja came up on the ipod today.  Album is f-cking genius, so well recorded.  Love the drums in the title track!  Great music to chill by...

This album is where drummer Steve Gadd arrived. He is so good it's ridiculous, especially on that title track. yes.gif

His version of "Love For Sale" on the first Burning For Buddy is my fave on that album.

Archived