What would you have done?

Tick

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Feb 12 2010, 09:21 PM)
If that scenario were to happen at a bus stop in Baltimore and anyone was to trying to intervene. That person would be headed to the hospital with multiple gunshot/stab wounds. That's the reality of it. Maybe it isn't that way where some of you live so the danger of stepping in isn't real but where I live people die everyday over shit like this. I have seen people shot and stabbed right in front of me. That shit sticks with you. Do as you will.

If that is truly the case where you live,then I suggest you move somewhere else then....

To exist with that kind of fear or anxiety can't be good for anyones self-esteem, and it would certainly make me feel less of a man to have to face the day like that.

I'm not having a go at your personal courage or anything like that, but how can you live with that price?

If you are a hard working person there ios aleays a degree of choice to where you live. The lowlifes who cause this fear and despair have neither the intelligence or imagination to envisage anything better.

If you can't confront them then leave them to their ghettoes.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 12 2010, 07:03 PM)
If that scenario were to happen at a bus stop in Baltimore and anyone was to trying to intervene.  That person would be headed to the hospital with multiple gunshot/stab wounds.  That's the reality of it.  Maybe it isn't that way where some of you live so the danger of stepping in isn't real but where I live people die everyday over shit like this.  I have seen people shot and stabbed right in front of me.  That shit sticks with you.  Do as you will.

If that is truly the case where you live,then I suggest you move somewhere else then....

To exist with that kind of fear or anxiety can't be good for anyones self-esteem, and it would certainly make me feel less of a man to have to face the day like that.

I'm not having a go at your personal courage or anything like that, but how can you live with that price?

If you are a hard working person there ios aleays a degree of choice to where you live. The lowlifes who cause this fear and despair have neither the intelligence or imagination to envisage anything better.

I would love to live some place like your village, Fridge; I believe you mentioned once that everyone feels safe leaving doors unlocked all the time? I'm sure it isn't without its own set of problems - no community is - but still. To have that kind of security.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Feb 12 2010, 09:47 PM)
QUOTE (southernjim @ Feb 13 2010, 07:31 AM)
I never leave the house without my favorite knife (one minimum), and most often a short tactical baton

Do you live in the world of A Clockwork Orange and dressed in the heighth of fashion too?

No thats me. laugh.gif wink.gif

Very disturbing. Those security guards should be curbed then fired for being such spineless non-reactive pussies. Maybe if it was five dudes fighting with knives you would see how they'd be scared to jump in or something... Worse yet the girl was obviously trying to put security between her and the attacker to begin with to protect herself. All they had to do was restrain the attacker. Sickening. Edited by Godeater2112

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Feb 12 2010, 01:41 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Feb 12 2010, 09:24 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 12 2010, 09:22 AM)
I smell a lawsuit. Or two. 
This will piss you off even more.  My sister-in-law is a public school teacher.  They are not permitted to touch the students, even to break up a fight like the one in the video.  As far as I know they haven't had any serious injuries or deaths, but then she teaches 3rd grade.

That is complete crap!!!! The rules must change!!! This world has it f***ing head up its ass.

Its liability. One kid is beating on another and you grab him and his parents sue you and the school and they win. The teacher gets fired and the school system has to eat a huge settlement loss or take an insurance claim which causes said insurance premiums to go up or even be dropped. That's the way it works and its not going to change. As long as common sense on this planet remains suspended this is the kind of wacky shit you will see.

Money is more important than life then? sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 12 2010, 11:12 PM)
If that scenario were to happen at a bus stop in Baltimore and anyone was to trying to intervene.  That person would be headed to the hospital with multiple gunshot/stab wounds.  That's the reality of it.  Maybe it isn't that way where some of you live so the danger of stepping in isn't real but where I live people die everyday over shit like this.  I have seen people shot and stabbed right in front of me.  That shit sticks with you.  Do as you will.

I would love to live some place like your village, Fridge; I believe you mentioned once that everyone feels safe leaving doors unlocked all the time? I'm sure it isn't without its own set of problems - no community is - but still. To have that kind of security.

It's a great little place to live, and though it may seem boring to some, I'll take it any day over the usual souless, homogenised, violent mess that describes just about any city in the world today.

Indeed, a few years ago we had a drug addict move in ( I think he was placed in sheltered housing by the council which is another scandal - that is meant for elderly people). He was "visited" one night by a few of the guys in the village and though no violence ensued, he was left in no doubt that he was not welcome...He was gone the next day.

This is what I am talking about, members in the community looking out for each other and not allowing the scum and the lowlifes to get the upper hand.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 13 2010, 10:57 AM)

It's a great little place to live, and though it may seem boring to some, I'll take it any day over the usual souless, homogenised, violent mess that describes just about any city in the world today.

Indeed, a few years ago we had a drug addict move in ( I think he was placed in sheltered housing by the council which is another scandal - that is meant for elderly people). He was "visited" one night by a few of the guys in the village and though no violence ensued, he was left in no doubt that he was not welcome...He was gone the next day.

This is what I am talking about, members in the community looking out for each other and not allowing the scum and the lowlifes to get the upper hand.

Fridge, with all due respect, that type of justice isnt possible in most inner city, urban areas. The scum bags and low lifes have the upper hand when it comes to controlling the streets. It's been built up over many years, and turning the other cheek has become a reality to most people.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Feb 13 2010, 07:09 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 13 2010, 10:57 AM)

Fridge, with all due respect, that type of justice isnt possible in most inner city, urban areas. The scum bags and low lifes have the upper hand when it comes to controlling the streets. It's been built up over many years, and turning the other cheek has become a reality to most people.

Which brings me right back to the point I made in the previous post.

It is only because the majority of decent people allow it that this has become reality.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Feb 12 2010, 08:47 PM)
I never leave the house without my favorite knife (one minimum), and most often a short tactical baton

Do you live in the world of A Clockwork Orange and dressed in the heighth of fashion too?

Are you asking if I have a violence fetish?

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 12 2010, 08:15 AM)
If you have not seen this video, I warn you, it will make your blood boil! Two 15 year old girls start fighting and one of them is knocked to the ground and is being repeatedly kicked in the head while 3 security guards stand back and do nothing! Its f***ing disgusting! The company that employs the guards says its not in the rules for them to respond. They are there to observe and report. They called it in which is what there supposed to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk9OGk1J3ps

BULLSHIT!!!!! YOU DON'T STAND BACK AND WATCH A 15 YEAR OLD GIRL GET BEATEN TO DEATH BECAUSE OF POLICY! AT SOME POINT MORAL RESPONSIBILITY MUST COME INTO PLAY! I WOULD HAVE STOPPED THAT IN A HEARTBEAT, AND IF THEY WANTED TO FIRE ME THEY WOULD LOOK LIKE THE BIGGEST ASSHOLES ON THE PLANET!!!
THIS VIDEO MAKES ME ANGRY!!!!

What would you do if you were there?

I would have broken it up. When that girl kicks the other in the head I would have restrained her. If I was a parent of the girl being kicked, the guard's least worry would be his job, his biggest worry would be me.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Feb 12 2010, 08:41 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Feb 12 2010, 09:24 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 12 2010, 09:22 AM)
I smell a lawsuit. Or two. 
This will piss you off even more.  My sister-in-law is a public school teacher.  They are not permitted to touch the students, even to break up a fight like the one in the video.  As far as I know they haven't had any serious injuries or deaths, but then she teaches 3rd grade.

That is complete crap!!!! The rules must change!!! This world has it f***ing head up its ass.

Its liability. One kid is beating on another and you grab him and his parents sue you and the school and they win. The teacher gets fired and the school system has to eat a huge settlement loss or take an insurance claim which causes said insurance premiums to go up or even be dropped. That's the way it works and its not going to change. As long as common sense on this planet remains suspended this is the kind of wacky shit you will see.

It will change when something like this happens and the school is held liable. They will cough up millions over this.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Feb 12 2010, 04:21 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Feb 12 2010, 05:15 PM)
QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Feb 12 2010, 05:13 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Feb 12 2010, 05:09 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 12 2010, 05:03 PM)
To all of you who say they would stand back and not get involved due to fear of the consequences:

Has it ever occured to you that the reason these teenage thugs are so emboldened is precisely because of that attitude? How brave do you think they would be if it was the norm that every time someone was attacked, a group of concerned bystanders would intervene and beat the crap out of them?

We can't live in a state of constant anxiety due to fear of reprisals, that is existence not life. If everyone had the same attitude they would need a veritable army of lawyers to prosecute us all.

In my case, I have intervened several times to protect those who could not protect themselves, and have never regretted it. I would do so again without hesitation simply because it is the right thing to do...I strongly urge EVERYONE to adopt this attitude, and then maybe we can reclaim the streets for ordinary, decent people.

I hear ya Fridge !!! Loud and clear. trink39.gif goodpost.gif

If more people thought like this, then a difference would be made. Are you listening SS?

Yep. I am not buying it though.

I guess that is exactly why your assessment of the world is correct. eh.gif

Its kind of a shitty catch 22 but its completely true. If you want to survive you have to think of yourself first.

If that scenario were to happen at a bus stop in Baltimore and anyone was to trying to intervene. That person would be headed to the hospital with multiple gunshot/stab wounds. That's the reality of it. Maybe it isn't that way where some of you live so the danger of stepping in isn't real but where I live people die everyday over shit like this. I have seen people shot and stabbed right in front of me. That shit sticks with you. Do as you will.

See being a human being, I would put that girls life ahead of my job and take my chances and stop the fight. Because my job is important, but its not worth a death.

By the way, I dont care about lawsuits, any school adminsitrator or system that has or enforces this rule about not stopping combatants in a fight are wrong, morally. They are the stewards of the children when they are at school, and they have a moral obligation to intervene when they are acted on violently.

I dont care about lawsuits and I dont care about money. Anyone tells me thats the way it has to be, I call bullshit on them and them to go f-ck themselves.

QUOTE (southernjim @ Feb 14 2010, 05:07 AM)

Nope, that didn't cross my mind. I guess I'm asking this: How many times have you been beaten down to get you to that level OR what have you seen/experienced to get you to that level? If it isn't clear, "that level" is 'never leaving the house without a knife (one minimum) and most often a short tactical baton'.

Always liked that line in Tarantino's Death Proof..."You know what happens to muthafuckas that carry knives?...They get shot!" Not trying to rip you. Just saying you should be careful and I'm not sure carrying a knife (or knives) is being careful. [Probably wind up in jail for carrying, if anything.] Besides, if you're going to carry a blade, might as well go full-on, not half-ass it, and go with a katana. ph34r.gif

http://www.dfoggknives.com/copy_of_index/katana.gif

Pretty sad for sure. But that's what happens these days when society has been dumbed down with worries of lawsuits and no accountability. Back in the day, you can bet that shit was taken care of one way or another. The security guards are. cat.gif

Can't look at the video right now, but I get the idea. First thing I do is intervene and take the kicker down to the ground if necessary. If that doesn't work, if I had a gun I would have fired my gun in the air to get their attention to stop the madness. If that didn't work, the kicker would have gotten a bullet in the leg.

Lawsuits be damned, if I'm in security, I keep the environment secure.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Feb 13 2010, 05:26 PM)
QUOTE (southernjim @ Feb 14 2010, 05:07 AM)

Nope, that didn't cross my mind. I guess I'm asking this: How many times have you been beaten down to get you to that level OR what have you seen/experienced to get you to that level? If it isn't clear, "that level" is 'never leaving the house without a knife (one minimum) and most often a short tactical baton'.

Always liked that line in Tarantino's Death Proof..."You know what happens to muthafuckas that carry knives?...They get shot!" Not trying to rip you. Just saying you should be careful and I'm not sure carrying a knife (or knives) is being careful. [Probably wind up in jail for carrying, if anything.] Besides, if you're going to carry a blade, might as well go full-on, not half-ass it, and go with a katana. ph34r.gif

http://www.dfoggknives.com/copy_of_index/katana.gif

Well, I've been in my share of fights, but never been "beaten down." I carry my knife (and often a baton) because A- a knife is the handiest thing you can have, for stopping an attacker or knitting, whatever you're into. and B- they're both legal for open carry up here and in my area nobody is stupid enough to pull a gun*

but basically, I've always had the sentiment of "it's me or them" in the back of my mind, and in a situation where my family, friend(s), or I was in danger, it's an easy decision.

*three blocks from the police station

Edited by southernjim

I would never jump into a fight and I would never EVER threaten to sue someone. What comes around goes around...and karma is a b*tch.