What would you have done?

Tick

If you have not seen this video, I warn you, it will make your blood boil! Two 15 year old girls start fighting and one of them is knocked to the ground and is being repeatedly kicked in the head while 3 security guards stand back and do nothing! Its f***ing disgusting! The company that employs the guards says its not in the rules for them to respond. They are there to observe and report. They called it in which is what there supposed to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk9OGk1J3ps

BULLSHIT!!!!! YOU DON'T STAND BACK AND WATCH A 15 YEAR OLD GIRL GET BEATEN TO DEATH BECAUSE OF POLICY! AT SOME POINT MORAL RESPONSIBILITY MUST COME INTO PLAY! I WOULD HAVE STOPPED THAT IN A HEARTBEAT, AND IF THEY WANTED TO FIRE ME THEY WOULD LOOK LIKE THE BIGGEST ASSHOLES ON THE PLANET!!!

THIS VIDEO MAKES ME ANGRY!!!!

What would you do if you were there?

I smell a lawsuit. Or two.

This will piss you off even more. My sister-in-law is a public school teacher. They are not permitted to touch the students, even to break up a fight like the one in the video. As far as I know they haven't had any serious injuries or deaths, but then she teaches 3rd grade.

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 12 2010, 09:22 AM)
This will piss you off even more. My sister-in-law is a public school teacher. They are not permitted to touch the students, even to break up a fight like the one in the video. As far as I know they haven't had any serious injuries or deaths, but then she teaches 3rd grade.

That is complete crap!!!! The rules must change!!! This world has it f***ing head up its ass.

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 12 2010, 09:24 AM)
This will piss you off even more.  My sister-in-law is a public school teacher.  They are not permitted to touch the students, even to break up a fight like the one in the video.  As far as I know they haven't had any serious injuries or deaths, but then she teaches 3rd grade.

That is complete crap!!!! The rules must change!!! This world has it f***ing head up its ass.

Its liability. One kid is beating on another and you grab him and his parents sue you and the school and they win. The teacher gets fired and the school system has to eat a huge settlement loss or take an insurance claim which causes said insurance premiums to go up or even be dropped. That's the way it works and its not going to change. As long as common sense on this planet remains suspended this is the kind of wacky shit you will see.

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 12 2010, 08:15 AM)
If you have not seen this video, I warn you, it will make your blood boil! Two 15 year old girls start fighting and one of them is knocked to the ground and is being repeatedly kicked in the head while 3 security guards stand back and do nothing! Its f***ing disgusting! The company that employs the guards says its not in the rules for them to respond. They are there to observe and report. They called it in which is what there supposed to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk9OGk1J3ps

BULLSHIT!!!!! YOU DON'T STAND BACK AND WATCH A 15 YEAR OLD GIRL GET BEATEN TO DEATH BECAUSE OF POLICY! AT SOME POINT MORAL RESPONSIBILITY MUST COME INTO PLAY! I WOULD HAVE STOPPED THAT IN A HEARTBEAT, AND IF THEY WANTED TO FIRE ME THEY WOULD LOOK LIKE THE BIGGEST ASSHOLES ON THE PLANET!!!
THIS VIDEO MAKES ME ANGRY!!!!

What would you do if you were there?

The exact same thing that you would have done, brother. Guaranteed.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Feb 12 2010, 08:41 AM)
This will piss you off even more.  My sister-in-law is a public school teacher.  They are not permitted to touch the students, even to break up a fight like the one in the video.  As far as I know they haven't had any serious injuries or deaths, but then she teaches 3rd grade.

Its liability. One kid is beating on another and you grab him and his parents sue you and the school and they win. The teacher gets fired and the school system has to eat a huge settlement loss or take an insurance claim which causes said insurance premiums to go up or even be dropped. That's the way it works and its not going to change. As long as common sense on this planet remains suspended this is the kind of wacky shit you will see.

It really has turned ass-backward in this society. It's disgusting to have to accept that it's okay to watch a girl being beaten, and just stand there. Or have to be a teacher who can't break up a fight or else be sued.

When is society going to take a step back and realize we're getting it WRONG!

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Feb 12 2010, 09:41 AM)

yes.gif And the thing is, if I were a teacher in this situation I would probably hesitate to do anything. Perhaps it doesn't reflect well on me, but I really think fear of getting sued and losing my job would supersede my better human nature. I suspect I have plenty of company. Sad, huh?

The thing of it is, sometimes even intelligent and rational people, the ones who would say, "thanks for breaking this up and Junior's going to get a further ass-whipping at home for getting involved in a fight" don't have a choice about suing. If the kid requires medical attention and there is an insurance payout, the insurance company will try to recoup its money. If it's financially feasible, this means lawsuit, even if the parents don't want that. Unwanted attention directed at the school, and all that mess.

It may be written into the school's liability policy that the faculty can't get involved. Not sure.

QUOTE (Pags @ Feb 12 2010, 09:53 AM)

It really has turned ass-backward in this society. It's disgusting to have to accept that it's okay to watch a girl being beaten, and just stand there. Or have to be a teacher who can't break up a fight or else be sued.

I am going to say something that I am sure will not be popular.

To answer your question: It won't. The planet is lost. We all need to start learning how to deal with that. Anyone who honestly thinks that things are going to get better is delusional.

I watched that video and to be honest people didn't do anything because its dangerous to do anything. If you step in one of the other 10 kids that were with the attacker would shoot you in the head without a thought. So self preservation says do nothing. This is what the world is. Everyone should start to accept that. Sad but true.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 12 2010, 10:09 AM)
I work in security and there is no way in hell I would've just stood there and watch. Hell I'd have broken it up before it even got too out of hand.

That's because your a good man and a class act. Those security guards were douchebags.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Feb 12 2010, 10:04 AM)

To answer your question: It won't. The planet is lost. We all need to start learning how to deal with that. Anyone who honestly thinks that things are going to get better is delusional.

I watched that video and to be honest people didn't do anything because its dangerous to do anything. If you step in one of the other 10 kids that were with the attacker would shoot you in the head without a thought. So self preservation says do nothing. This is what the world is. Everyone should start to accept that. Sad but true.

I will choose freewill! 1287.gif

I never have to accept the standards of society. I will do what I think is right. yes.gif

and no one was going to shoot anyone, that was a teenage cat fight, and the guards were dicks by not holding back the girl from kicking the other girl in the head. That goes beyond a job, that is your duty as a decent human being. If they girl was killed or has severe brain damage, then what?

Those guards were losers, period.

No offense, SS, but the fact your willing to accept this as the state of world means the world is lost. You don't have to conform to the world, you can choose to have your own core values, and choose to uphold them.

Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 12 2010, 09:20 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 12 2010, 10:09 AM)
I work in security and there is no way in hell I would've just stood there and watch.  Hell I'd have broken it up before it even got too out of hand.

That's because your a good man and a class act. Those security guards were douchebags.

Thanks tick.

I seriously doubt I'd get canned for intervening in something like that. Especially since it is all on camera. What really would get me in trouble if I use excessive force when intervening. If I grabbed one of the perps and started pounding the shit out of them then there would be grounds to have me fired. But to aid in the safety of the victim and to stop them for hurting him/her more? Pretty moronic to fire someone for that.

What if the victim was in dire need of medical attention? Do I just stand there and watch him/her die when I'm fully trained in first aid? Fear a lawsuit or getting fired if I touch the victim?

Sweetscience, would you personally have stood there and watch that happen? I want to hear what you would have done.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Feb 12 2010, 10:04 AM)

I will choose freewill! 1287.gif

I never have to accept the standards of society. I will do what I think is right. yes.gif

and no one was going to shoot anyone, that was a teenage cat fight, and the guards were dicks by not holding back the girl from kicking the other girl in the head. That goes beyond a job, that is your duty as a decent human being. If they girl was killed or has severe brain damage, then what?

Those guards were losers, period.

No offense, SS, but the fact your willing to accept this as the state of world means the world is lost. You don't have to conform to the world, you can choose to have your own core values, and choose to uphold them.

Absolutely right! SS, that which you mentioned may be the trend, but it's up to us to make a stand and buck that trend.

Something similar just happened in one of our schools. Some first grade kid randomly went unconscious, fell down, had a seizure, woke up, then vomitted. Now the sensible thing to do would have been to call the parents and 911, right?

Well the teacher suggested it, and you know how the principal responded?.....

..."Are you sure that's necessary?"

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 12 2010, 10:31 AM)
Sweetscience, would you personally have stood there and watch that happen? I want to hear what you would have done.

I dont know. I would not have immediately jumped into the situation like all you brave superheros would have. I have been jumped dozens of times and nobody helped me. Its easy to sit here and make a judgement when you weren't there.

Also, this was a one on one fight. Its not like 10 people were jumping one. If you feel the need to get involved then fine but you are putting yourself in harms way. I take an every man for himself attitude now days.

I know that makes me an asshole but its honest and I really don't care what anyone else thinks.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Feb 12 2010, 09:45 AM)

I dont know. I would not have immediately jumped into the situation like all you brave superheros would have. I have been jumped dozens of times and nobody helped me. Its easy to sit here and make a judgement when you weren't there.

Also, this was a one on one fight. Its not like 10 people were jumping one. If you feel the need to get involved then fine but you are putting yourself in harms way. I take an every man for himself attitude now days.

I know that makes me an asshole but its honest and I really don't care what anyone else thinks.

I have been jumped dozens of times and nobody helped me.

That's unfortunate, but it in no way justifies you not getting involved if you should see someone else getting pounded. I understand you might be afraid to fight, but you can't just stand there and watch.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 12 2010, 10:49 AM)

That's unfortunate, but it in no way justifies you not getting involved if you should see someone else getting pounded. I understand you might be afraid to fight, but you can't just stand there and watch.

I am not afraid to fight and most certainly would have walked away from a situation like that.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 12 2010, 09:49 AM)

Especially if you are a security guard.

If you cannot handle possible physical confrontation (or any type of confrontation for that matter) you shouldn't be working in security IMO.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 12 2010, 10:56 AM)

If you cannot handle possible physical confrontation (or any type of confrontation for that matter) you shouldn't be working in security IMO.

An unarmed security guard and a police officer are two different things. If they had been police then I could see the outrage.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Feb 12 2010, 09:58 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 12 2010, 10:56 AM)

An unarmed security guard and a police officer are two different things. If they had been police then I could see the outrage.

There were 3 guards against one teen girl!

All they had to do was pull her off and protect the victim!

I don't even know where to begin, especially after reading everyone's comments about this incident and similar ones. It's sad when the first reaction is, "I don't want to get sued so I better not do anything." You never know what's going to happen! Here's a crazy story for you, last year, I believe it was, a Seattle cop broke up a fight between two teens and the one who was getting his ass handed to him, starting beating the cop who was trying to save him! The cop was injured so badly he was forced to retire. I mean, WTF is going on with this world?

I would have tried to intervene if I had been there and then I would have shouted at the idiots who stood by watching and then I would have tore into the security guards. All the while using my, "Mom voice" which my son will tell you is not pretty.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Feb 12 2010, 10:45 AM)

I am not a "brave superhero", I'm just someone whose moral compass can't stand back and watch that happen. I'll worry about the consequences later.

I'm not just saying this either because throughout my life, on at least 3 occasions I can think of I have defended people being bullied or fighting while it was in progress. I was actually almost a bodyguard for one kid in grammar school who was always picked on. I didn't let it happen when I was around.

The bottom line is I would not let a girl get repeatedly kicked in the head, and if you would, sleep well.

I'm sorry. I freely admit that I would not jump into the fray (forget, for the sake of argument, that I am female). I'd call the cops, solicit the aid of others.

I suppose it does not paint me in the best light to admit this. I know I have some responsibility to the greater good of humanity. But I also have a responsibility to my family to NOT get fired, sued, OR -and this is a distinct possibility these days - end up dead or hospitalized with knife or gunshot wounds.