Some new Prog!

Hatchetaxe&saw

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 4 2012, 11:34 AM)
The cellist left but she made a guest appearance on one track. I forgot what song it is but I think it's Read Your Mind. She wasn't replaced.

Edit: Listening to the album now and Read Your Mind is the track she played on.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look out for this release.

I'm in the middle of listening to Kotebel's new album Concerto for Piano and Electric Ensemble. Apparently its an arrangement of a concerto that the keyboardist wrote. I'm only on the second track but if the rest is this good then this may end up in my top 5 2012 albums.

Its available on bandcamp to stream for free. I'm definitely buying it when I have the money.

http://kotebel-music.bandcamp.com/

I've been listening to Beyond The Bridge's debut album The Old Man and The Spirit a lot over the last couple of days. They're a great prog metal band from Germany and the album was 7 years in the making. Its a prog metal album but there are mellow sections and the male/female vocals blend in excellently.

Listening to Crystal Pool by Root Deco on ProgStreaming the past few days.

Awesome album! Very rocking and eclectic. Sort of like a more guitar-centered version of Gentle Giant with early Soft Machine craziness.

smile.gif

QUOTE (Rushfanman @ Oct 12 2012, 09:03 PM)
anyone heard of Mystery. There'er from Montreal Canada, and they sound really good (too band their record contract is with unicorn records). Also for old prog there is a band called starcastle, 6-man band sounds a lot like yes.

Love Starcastle!!! Citadel is a prog pop masterpiece.

Have meant to give Mystery a spin for a while now. Must remedy that situation.

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw

3RDegree has a new album out - "The Long Division". They've been around since the 90's but they've reunited and the new album is very good. Still need to listen to their older stuff.

http://3rdegree.bandcamp.com/album/the-lon...sion-2012-album

Also, IZZ's new album "Crush of Night" is excellent. I just saw them last night (along with District 97, who I've posted about previously) so I picked up a couple of their older albums. I'm listening to The Darkened Room right now...they may be one of my new favorite bands. The whole band is great but the keys and vocals really stand out. They have 2 drummers, 1 plays acoustic drums and the other mostly plays electric drums and percussion, which was pretty cool live.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

Distorted Harmony - Utopia

Here's how they describe the album: "A delicate combination of the complex progressive metal, the unique harmonies of modern Jazz & Classical music and some heavy shit!"

Not a bad debut, and its only 99 cents.

(Can't post links but if you Google "Distorted Harmony Bandcamp", you'll find it.)

Edit: You can also download it for free at soundcloud.com/distortedharmony.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

The "The Bad Mexican" album on Progstreaming is weird.... but good default/smile.png default/1022.gif

There's so much good music on Progstreaming but not enough time to listen to it all.

Earlier I listened to the Threshold album which was alright. Listening to the Farpoint album right now. Sounds great so far. Pretty folky and it has some great male/female vocals.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

Lifesigns, new prog "supergroup", John Young(Strawbs/Jon Anderson/Fish), Nick Beggs(Steven Wilson band) & Frosty Beedle(Cutting Crew), their eponymous debut is well worth checking out.

Epic in all the right places and very melodic.

Placed on backburner, ty.

Lifesigns, new prog "supergroup", John Young(Strawbs/Jon Anderson/Fish), Nick Beggs(Steven Wilson band) & Frosty Beedle(Cutting Crew), their eponymous debut is well worth checking out.

Epic in all the right places and very melodic.

I listened to this twice today. Loved it! I mostly bought it for Steve Hackett's guest appearance and Nick Begg's bass/stick playing but I was especially impressed with Young's vocals and keys.

Link

Sanguine Hum - Diving Bell

Very enjoyable melodic Prog. Almost like the Moth Vellum but a little more upbeat. I have to find where I can purchase this in the US.

A year and a half later, finally got around to playing this.

Superb.

• Like 1