Take A Journey With Toto To The Guitar Wizard Of

RUSHHEAD666

Which Guitar Player Do You Like The Best?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which Guitar Player Do You Like The Best?

• Neal Schon
    • Steve Lukather

Hey gang! Been on a nice TOTO obsession this week!

Wont' bore you with the details but which guitar player do you like better?

Neal Schon from Journey or Steve Lukather from Toto?

Both have melodic commercial rock riffs. Both are great guitar players in hit making bands.

Which do you choose?

Schon, far and away.

But Lukather probably deserves credit for being the studio guitarist on a bunch of hits, inside and outside of Toto. It was the nature of the band; they were a bunch of studio musicians who all kinda said, "Hey, why don't WE form our own band?" I think it was Lukather who once said, "Look at any pop album from the 80s; one of us [from Toto] is probably on it!"

Been on a nice TOTO obsession this week!

Same thing happened to me, late last summer. I ran out and bought a Toto compilation CD.

Neal . Guy is great

Dude... laugh.gif

What is it with you and these polls? You're like a rock encyclopedia at 100 mph! I bet you're a character to hang out and talk to after a pint or two.

...Schon.

I'm a big fan of '71-'78 Santana. I only own the first four Journey albums. That should tell you enough.

Signed,

SPACEMAN

Edited by ozzy85

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Jan 28 2010, 05:39 PM)
Dude... laugh.gif

What is it with you and these polls? You're like a rock encyclopedia at 100 mph! I bet you're a character to hang out and talk to after a pint or two.

...Schon.

I'm a big fan of '71-'78 Santana. I only own the first four Journey albums. That should tell you enough.

Signed,

SPACEMAN

laugh.gif Thanks dude! I've been know to "talk the balls off of a rhinoceros!" My brain gets going with a few cold brewskis at night! I live for rock and I rock to live!!

Signed,

Les Claypool

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 28 2010, 04:59 PM)
Dude...  laugh.gif

What is it with you and these polls?  You're like a rock encyclopedia at 100 mph!  I bet you're a character to hang out and talk to after a pint or two.

...Schon.

I'm a big fan of '71-'78 Santana.  I only own the first four Journey albums.  That should tell you enough.

Signed,

SPACEMAN

laugh.gif Thanks dude! I've been know to "talk the balls off of a rhinoceros!" My brain gets going with a few cold brewskis at night! I live for rock and I rock to live!!

Signed,

Les Claypool

laugh.gif rofl3.gif

Schon cool.gif

On more thing OZ. I totally agree with you on the Santana thing oh and of course the first three Journey albums are spectacular. I've mentioned those gems on here many times!!

"Spaceman" is a great song! Hell I love all old school Non-Steve Perry songs!

Love,

"Look Into The Future" wub.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Jan 28 2010, 07:05 PM)
Dude...  laugh.gif

What is it with you and these polls?  You're like a rock encyclopedia at 100 mph!  I bet you're a character to hang out and talk to after a pint or two.

...Schon.

I'm a big fan of '71-'78 Santana.  I only own the first four Journey albums.  That should tell you enough.

Signed,

SPACEMAN

Signed,

Les Claypool

laugh.gif rofl3.gif

Schon cool.gif

laugh.gif

Wow! I had a feeling that the SCHON CON would be ON!

He is great. Not much love for Lukather on here. You guys think that TOTO is too mellow?

Steve's "Candyman" project is sweet featuring Simon Phillips on the drums!

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 28 2010, 05:08 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Jan 28 2010, 07:05 PM)
Dude...  laugh.gif

...Schon.

Signed,

SPACEMAN

Signed,

Les Claypool

laugh.gif rofl3.gif

Schon cool.gif

laugh.gif

Wow! I had a feeling that the SCHON CON would be ON!

He is great. Not much love for Lukather on here. You guys think that TOTO is too mellow?

Steve's "Candyman" project is sweet featuring Simon Phillips on the drums!

It's no that they are too mellow. Journey has there fair share of mellow tunes. I just prefer Schon's overall style of playing better.

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Jan 28 2010, 07:39 PM)
Dude... laugh.gif

...Schon.

Signed,

SPACEMAN

Indeed, he is the poll guy! trink39.gif

I too think the first 4 Journey albums are the best ever. Shame is most current Journey fans have no idea about the first 3 with Aynsley. Come to think of it, that line-up could be another band in itself if those guys ever wanted to get back together. You could still have the old Journey and the current Journey!

Spaceman ROCKS! trink39.gif common001.gif That song reminds me for some reason of just riding around in a nice car on a beautiful, cool sunny day somewhere such as southern California! common001.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jan 31 2010, 02:21 PM)
The thing that disappointed me with Lukather was when I saw him with Toto he was drunk and/or coked out. Probably both.

He is also one of Eddie Van Halen's best friends so yeah ......... laugh.gif

technically, their abilities are pretty colse and you may argue that Lukather is the better guitarist. I prefer Schon simply because I prefer his parts. He has a great sense of melody and can rip if he needs to. His solo on "Who's Crying Now" is a good example of this.

This is too close to call for me. They are almost identical players. Their tones are almost polar opposites though. Schon has a real dark and dirty thing going on and Lukather has a shimmery thing. I don't know. I have seen Schon around town and he seems like a good guy. He made a decent album with Jan Hammer, "Schon & Hammer" that I used to play on my radio show way back. More aggressive than Journey. Has a good voice too.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jan 31 2010, 08:42 PM)
Schon has a real dark and dirty thing

don't touch my thing lol