Rush- Smartest band in the history of Rock?

GeminiRising79

Educated and Smarts are two different things. Granted a college education is good for learning how to learn & for developing a career - many people (if they are smart) continue to educate themselves through out their lives - through books and teachers of thought & skill.

Zappa was never college educated but many people would consider him one of the smartest men in rock. He self-learned how to orchestrate and write music and was very well read. His lyrics are smart (Swiftian in nature) & his music even more so.

Rush is smart - the lyrics have meaning (sometimes deeper than they appear on the surface) & the musicianship is defined by players who are at the top of the craft per their peers. Someone once told me they thought the lyrics to Tom Sawyer were the stupidist she had ever heard - I tried to explain them to her but she was not smart enough to understand what I was talking about. That's ok - she can always listen to Aerosmith or Boston. Nothing deep happening there (& that's OK)

Kiss had to be smart business wise - if it was not for the makeup and gimmics they would be a third rate band by most standards. But they developed a circus and myths to surround their image and got rich in the process. No offense Kiss fans - I do think that Gene Simmons is the greatest clown of our generation and I say that out of respect for the man's craft.

Rush has avoided criticism by the press mostly due to their sense of privacy and overall anonymity. Back in the day (70's) the mainstream press did not even know who they were. The fact that they are nice guys and family men (not JetSetters and publicity hounds) means they have a low profile. They let their music do their talking for the most part. I think in the past I have seen pictures of Geddy & Neil reading to bide the time - feeding their brains with new ideas.

I wonder what they are reading now? (I dont wonder that with most bands)

Edited by Bass Monkey

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 30 2009, 11:34 PM)
QUOTE (Score Out @ Nov 30 2009, 10:24 PM)
QUOTE (JDL2112 @ Nov 30 2009, 07:18 PM)
QUOTE (Score Out @ Nov 30 2009, 03:43 PM)
QUOTE (JDL2112 @ Nov 30 2009, 04:44 PM)
It's clear to me that they are just 3 guys who have it all together.

I just get a strong sensation that I'll never see a headline on some web page that says:

"Geddy Lee, bassist and lead vocalist of the band "Rush" got all shitfaced, stoned and burned down a hotel today.  This is the third time he's done that this month"

...or "Alex Zivojinovich, better known by his stage name Alex Lifeson, was arrested for what deputies described as drunken, violent behavior at the Naples Ritz-Carlton hotel."

Oh wait...

Or...some asshole was giving his kid a bunch of shit, so he stood up for him...(I think most of us would do that)

I think what I was getting at is that you would find that they don't do the "rock band" life like some of these people who do really, really dumb stuff...As a result, they are sharp, smart and able to continue playing and recording music MUCH further than most bands because of constant issues.

While I completely agree that Rush has generally managed to carry themselves very well over the years, I think it's been proven pretty clear that Alex and especially his son were far from blameless on that fateful night in Naples. It certainly went down quite a bit different than "some asshole giving his kid a bunch of shit."

Alex's son was acting like a douchebag - the cops were a little too rough afterwards when Alex stood up for his kid, but lets face it, Alex's kid caused that whole incident....

The kid was definitely drunk and disorderly. But Naples is a world unto itself, truly.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 30 2009, 10:18 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Nov 30 2009, 09:05 PM)
interesting thread.
are we talking smart or educated?
if it's educated then Queen via May is up there with his PhD.
If it's smart I would go with Tom Scholz of Boston.  That guy is very sharp and fits the educated and smart bill.  Look him up if you're unfamiliar with his accomplishments.

Scholtz has a BS and MS in Mechanical Engineering from MIT. Academically he blows away everyone else discussed in this thread in book smarts --- I think he worked for a while after school as an engineer too....

he goes beyond book smarts. there are plenty of people with the same background who didn't invent the Rockman. That combines the book learning with the intelligence to apply.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Nov 29 2009, 01:05 PM)
I can truly say it is without bias that I nominate the Rush guys as the smartest band in the history of Rock. Not only have they avoided the numerous and gravitationally-spectacular pitfalls that the vast majority of bands have succumbed to, but they've managed to keep a relatively level head through the whole maddening process of becoming and continuing on through the decades as a rock band.

Avoiding gluttony and wretched excess is a extremely tough thing for anyone to do-- and they kept true to their character despite it being in front of them constantly. They've amazingly managed to keep their egos in check and seem to be genuinely nice people, by and large. They've also managed their wealth very nicely through the years (unlike everyone else who have really just pissed away their fortunes). Another notable is that the Rush guys have also avoided the excessive use of drugs and drinking(same) which have destroyed lives and the cohesiveness of many other bands.

I'm sure there are things I'm missing here and there, and if so please feel free to add.

I would have to say that the #1 reason that they are together is love. And by that, I mean a friendship kind of love.

And in a sense, their love for one another is unconditional, as they really do care for one another's thoughts, feelings and input. They make decisions AS A GROUP....not as individuals. I saw this quite clearly as Geddy and Alex were extremely patient with Neil during his trials in the laste 90s. That patience has helped Rush to endure to this day.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 30 2009, 09:18 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Nov 30 2009, 09:05 PM)
interesting thread.
are we talking smart or educated?
if it's educated then Queen via May is up there with his PhD.
If it's smart I would go with Tom Scholz of Boston.  That guy is very sharp and fits the educated and smart bill.  Look him up if you're unfamiliar with his accomplishments.

Scholtz has a BS and MS in Mechanical Engineering from MIT. Academically he blows away everyone else discussed in this thread in book smarts --- I think he worked for a while after school as an engineer too....

Lets not forget Jeffrey "Skunk" Baxter when it comes to book smarts too.

Jeff "Skunk" Baxter (born December 13, 1948 in Washington, D.C.) is an American guitarist best known for his stints in the rock bands Steely Dan and The Doobie Brothers during the 1970s. More recently, he has been working as a defense consultant and chairs a Congressional Advisory Board on missile defense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Baxter

I thought other members of queen had advanced degrees as well? Not just May?

I am no fan but Tom from Rage and Audioslave is a Harvard grad , top of his class .

Thanks for your posts everyone.

When I say "Smart" I mean in the sense of Rush making intelligent, level-headed decisions throughout their career (versus others who've made emotional and/or drug-fueled decisions). I'm sure they've made some regrettable choices along the way, but nothing that would jeopardize the integrity or stability of the band.

And, yes. I did inadvertently leave out "classy" to describe them as well.

Despite the Rush guys not having a complete HS education and beyond, I found their material very gratifying, intellectually, when I was in college in the 80's. This is what attracted me to Rush from the get-go. And btw, there are countless #s of college/HS drop-outs who are fabulously successful...Bill Gates for one!

If you think about it it's really extraordinary how they've stayed together not only as a band but as genuine close friends throughout the years. I mean how many of you are still friends with or even talk to people you knew in jr. high?

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Dec 1 2009, 01:14 PM)
If you think about it it's really extraordinary how they've stayed together not only as a band but as genuine close friends throughout the years. I mean how many of you are still friends with or even talk to people you knew in jr. high?

Exactly... it's one thing to stay friends with friends for 40+ years, but imagine being friends AND business partners all those years.

Almost impossible, I'd say.

I always liked the smart aspect of this band, but there are a lot more people in this world that would say that is their greatest weakness.

They're just a nerdy band, you read some of those lyrics and they're ridiculous. Still well constructed and very smart, but they still sound stupid as hell. People want music they can relate to, something that brings back a memory or sparks and emotion in them, thats not exactly what Rush is really great at doing, and they are well known for that.

So I would say they are one of the smarter bands out there, but I dont always see that as a good thing.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 1 2009, 01:47 PM)
I am no fan but Tom from Rage and Audioslave is a Harvard grad , top of his class .

Forgot about Tom and did not know about Baxter. Very good guitar player.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 1 2009, 12:47 PM)

What was his major though? MIT engineering means you're an academic stud - Ive league doesnt guarantee that.. although to be tops of his class he had to be "wicked smaht" smile.gif

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Dec 1 2009, 01:14 PM)
I mean how many of you are still friends with or even talk to people you knew in jr. high?

I have one that's still a good friend.

We're not in a band together, but he is as big a Rush fan as I am.

I can truly say it is without bias that I nominate the Rush guys as the smartest band in the history of Rock. Not only have they avoided the numerous and gravitationally-spectacular pitfalls that the vast majority of bands have succumbed to, but they've managed to keep a relatively level head through the whole maddening process of becoming and continuing on through the decades as a rock band.

Avoiding gluttony and wretched excess is a extremely tough thing for anyone to do-- and they kept true to their character despite it being in front of them constantly. They've amazingly managed to keep their egos in check and seem to be genuinely nice people, by and large. They've also managed their wealth very nicely through the years (unlike everyone else who have really just pissed away their fortunes). Another notable is that the Rush guys have also avoided the excessive use of drugs and drinking(same) which have destroyed lives and the cohesiveness of many other bands.

I'm sure there are things I'm missing here and there, and if so please feel free to add.

Do you stand by this today? :unsure:

This is interesting because I was thinking the very same a few days ago and would love to know how they did it.

In interviews they said that they studied other bands while touring with them and learned from them what not to do. But, still...you'd have to have extraordinary character to completely avoid it. This is one of the reasons why I would love to sit down and talk to each one of them (at different times) for hours. Just to find out for myself what makes them tick.

They're definitely up there but there's a ton of rock bands that go unnoticed that were easily just as "intelligent" as Rush is/was.

It is because they are truly nice guys who really care about each other, and treat people the way they want to be treated, oh and by the way-----they are pretty damn good!!!! :rush:

That's because they're Canadian.