Entre Nous vs. Open Secets

Andrew1

The thread earlier was speaking of 'Entre Nous' and it possibly being the most "beautiful" song Rush composed. I agree. 'Entre Nous' is a great song that I would consider "beautiful". People commented and suggested other songs that could be front-runners. I'm surprised that no one mentioned 'Open Secrets' from Hold Your Fire. When I read this thread, 'Open Secrets' immediately came to mind. Everything about this song in my opinion is excellent and what I would consider "beautiful". Vocals, lyrics, melodies, the piano at the beginning even, (a small part, but one that brilliantly sets the mood). I won't go on. I've been in this forum long enough to that you guys aren't stupid. Tell me what you think and what other songs you think should be here.

Let it begin! Entre Nous vs. Open Secrets

Do your worst! No mercy!

Open Secrets is my choice of the two although Entre Nous is a great song as well.

I think Second Nature, in some ways, is emotional.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Nov 15 2009, 03:34 PM)
Open Secrets is my choice of the two although Entre Nous is a great song as well.

I was so hung up on 'Open Secrets' I totally overlooked 'Second Nature'. Now that I think about it, I might like that one better. Or maybe not. They're both exceptional.

Don't even bother metaldad. Because we already know. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Andrew1 @ Nov 15 2009, 06:26 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Nov 15 2009, 03:34 PM)

I was so hung up on 'Open Secrets' I totally overlooked 'Second Nature'. Now that I think about it, I might like that one better. Or maybe not. They're both exceptional.

Don't even bother metaldad. Because we already know. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I'm a big fan of Second Nature. Much more so than liking Open Secrets. OS has a great chorus, but the rest of the song doesn't do much for me.

Second Nature is one of my favs from HYF.

"I thought we might get closer..." yes.gif

An apt comparison. Between Entre Nous and Open Secrets of course. I like the heavier nature of EN, though OS is probably more finely crafted. Both explore interpersonal relationships in a way rarely seen in R&R, and both are an absolute blast to listen to. Both of these songs are great examples of what makes RUSH so much fun.

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Nov 16 2009, 01:48 AM)
An apt comparison. Between Entre Nous and Open Secrets of course. I like the heavier nature of EN, though OS is probably more finely crafted. Both explore interpersonal relationships in a way rarely seen in R&R, and both are an absolute blast to listen to. Both of these songs are great examples of what makes RUSH so much fun.

Well said. I know many have their differences in opinion of "old" and "new" Rush. I respect that but it's an opinion I don't share. 'Entre Nous', 'Different Strings', to 'Open Secrets' and 'Second Nature'. Whatever. They're all excellent songs from a great band and you're right. They ARE fun. Hell, I'll forget all about 'Open Secrets' in a week and be on an 'In The End' kick. It makes no difference to me. That's just how I roll. rofl3.gif I just love this band and have a great time on this forum. 653.gif 1022.gif cool10.gif .......whatever. confused13.gif trink39.gif bekloppt.gif schla03.gif

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Nov 14 2009, 09:11 PM)
In my opinion, Open Secrets is far more emotional.

I agree. Open Secrets is a much serious song. It is not about love as such but more about communication in a relationship between any two people; not necessarily a romantic one.

I like Entre Nous more. That is a beautiful song.

You should have made this a poll.

An open secret is usually something everybody knows but doesn't talk about.

About second nature though, I like the strings in the instrumental section of the song. It's perfect.

I'd have to give the edge to Open Secrets. While I think HYF is an average Rush album (*** still pretty daggone good ***), I think Open Secrets is one of the highlights of said album. While Entre Nous is probably the #5 of 6 on an exceptional album.

Good poll, and a tough call. I like them both, but OS as the edge.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Nov 16 2009, 10:29 AM)
I'd have to give the edge to Open Secrets. While I think HYF is an average Rush album (*** still pretty daggone good ***), I think Open Secrets is one of the highlights of said album. While Entre Nous is probably the #5 of 6 on an exceptional album.

Funny, I think "Entre Nous" is probably my fave from Permanent Waves. But, HYF is my favorite album, so "Open Secrets" wins by default.

Open Secrets was the first "new" song for me to hear on HYF once I bought the album. I was so used to hearing "Force Ten" and "Time Stand Still" in the two weeks prior to the the release of the album.

I already liked those two songs and when I heard how good Open Secrets was, I knew this album would be a fave if not my absolute fave.

What's up RC? I see you changed your avatar from self-portrait to your mode- of- transportation. Where do you find the room to park that thing?

QUOTE (Andrew1 @ Nov 16 2009, 12:42 PM)
I'd have to give the edge to Open Secrets.  While I think HYF is an average Rush album (*** still pretty daggone good ***), I think Open Secrets is one of the highlights of said album.  While Entre Nous is probably the #5 of 6 on an exceptional album.

Good poll, and a tough call.  I like them both, but OS as the edge.

What's up RC? I see you changed your avatar from self-portrait to your mode- of- transportation. Where do you find the room to park that thing?

We assimilate all, so we are always on the move.

However, on planet Borgia, we have the most impressive parking spots in the galaxy.

Archived