Roll The Bones...

theredtamasrule

HMMMMMMMMMMMM Roll the Bones: my thoughts.

Good album, someone mentioned it is light and not very deep which RUSH is usually just the opposite of. That is exactly why it was one of there more popular ones on the radio.

DREAMLINE is so overplayed and I just don't think there is much there. Im a huge Alex fan plays it live like its some out of this world solo and its just fair. Now, crank the solo on Neurotica and I think thats much better.

My favs are Bravado (live) and Ghost of a Chance w/o a question.

Its just a good album and ranks towards the bottom. I find it interesting that RUSH love that album and for many tours played so many of those songs live, hence the radio likeability of them. Nice discussion!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (natalie @ Sep 27 2009, 11:44 AM)
HMMMMMMMMMMMM Roll the Bones: my thoughts.

Good album, someone mentioned it is light and not very deep which RUSH is usually just the opposite of. That is exactly why it was one of there more popular ones on the radio.

DREAMLINE is so overplayed and I just don't think there is much there. Im a huge Alex fan plays it live like its some out of this world solo and its just fair. Now, crank the solo on Neurotica and I think thats much better.
My favs are Bravado (live) and Ghost of a Chance w/o a question.
Its just a good album and ranks towards the bottom. I find it interesting that RUSH love that album and for many tours played so many of those songs live, hence the radio likeability of them. Nice discussion!

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=50818

Hope you don't mind, Natalie! Your post inspired me to create a thread!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 28 2009, 03:07 AM)
What would have been a great song destroyed by stupid rap: Roll the Bones

The rap section of course spoils it, but I have come to *ahem*...tolerate it it over a loooooooong period of time biggrin.gif As you say, great track otherwise so it still counts as one of the few gems on here trink38.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Sep 27 2009, 01:27 PM)

The rap section of course spoils it, but I have come to *ahem*...tolerate it it over a loooooooong period of time biggrin.gif As you say, great track otherwise so it still counts as one of the few gems on here trink38.gif

i hear ya, but it's an integral part of the song. i either skip a song or i listen to it. i wouldn't listen to it and then just turn it off before the rap - too much effort. for me, the song, unfortunately, is ruined...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 27 2009, 10:14 PM)

i hear ya, but it's an integral part of the song. i either skip a song or i listen to it. i wouldn't listen to it and then just turn it off before the rap - too much effort. for me, the song, unfortunately, is ruined...

The "rap" bit was a mistake: period

not sure what the guys were thinking when the mixed & cut that track, but the rap extract just soooooo didn't work!

Bit of a Fail on that: which is a shame because it would have been an ace track without it

QUOTE (Sonatine @ Sep 27 2009, 02:25 PM)

not sure what the guys were thinking when the mixed & cut that track, but the rap extract just soooooo didn't work!

Bit of a Fail on that: which is a shame because it would have been an ace track without it

as i always heard, it was meant as a joke, i guess as some sort of humorous and clever commentary on contemporary music at that time.

even still, it just didn't work. no.gif

QUOTE (odinfellhammer @ Sep 27 2009, 05:22 PM)
I like this Album. Why does every rush album have to heavy metal?

I love Hold Your Fire and that's not anywhere close to heavy metal. It doesn't have to be heavy metal, but it does have to be good, and unfortunately there are a few major lemons on RTB. YMMV...

i like the lyrical theme of roll the bones but many of the songs seem like they are all or nothing (in terms of my liking them)...imho, dreamline, bravado, where's my thing, and ghost of a chance are really strong while the big wheel, neurotica, ybyl, and face up are tiresome and weak. all the other songs are tolerable at best. honestly, i rarely listen to this disc. it's probably my least favorite of all their releases

QUOTE (Blenderhead @ Sep 24 2009, 10:11 PM)
It's my least favorite Rush album, but I like 6/10 songs, so it's not all bad.

goodpost.gif

Plus......Neil didn't use the red Tamas on this album, so I can't for the life of me understand why the OP changed his opinion. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Sonatine @ Sep 27 2009, 04:25 PM)

It was a "bit of a fail" on the whole album, pretty much. I've always described it as "a failed attempt at funk" overall.

It's kind of strange that "Dreamline" is such an awesome song and the rest of the album can still suck so bad. But then, I feel mostly the same way about Snakes and Arrows, where there's some good tracks but "Far Cry" is a far cry better than any of the others, in my opinion.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Sep 28 2009, 01:00 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Sep 24 2009, 06:49 PM)
but no more throat punches for RTB.

You saving those for Presto?

some of us are reserving our punches for presto. different thread but that one also belongs in the crapper with the exception of available light and the pass.

Roll the Bones is probably my least favorite Rush album. Like others said, half of the album is good and the other half is pretty bad IMO.

Songs I like:

Dreamline

Bravado

Roll the Bones (except the rap part)

Where's My Thing?

Heresy

Ghost of a Chance (my favorite song on the album, one of their better 90's songs IMO)

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 28 2009, 11:30 AM)

some of us are reserving our punches for presto. different thread but that one also belongs in the crapper with the exception of available light and the pass.

I actually enjoy Presto alot more than RTB, but Presto does contain the worst Rush song ever recorded: ANAGRAM.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 29 2009, 06:30 AM)

Im sure another thread of crap Rush albums is soon to follow but just to add..others I could handle over time were Anagram, Red Tide and Hand Over Fist. The rest are dumped 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Sep 28 2009, 01:49 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 28 2009, 11:30 AM)

I actually enjoy Presto alot more than RTB, but Presto does contain the worst Rush song ever recorded: ANAGRAM.

anagram or hand over fist and don't forget the big poop, i mean the big wheel. sometimes i can't comprehend that that the same group that made hemisphere's made something like this.

This thread made me listen to Roll The Bones again, and I liked it!

It's not a fantastic album, but it has some good songs and great songwriting in my opinion.

Production could be better though.. And the rapping skeleton is just wrong in so many ways...

The Big Wheel and Ghost Of Chance are great songs, I like the melodies on those.

It's a very relaxed and mature album. It's not groundbreaking like Hemispheres or Moving Pictures, but there's a certain vibe to it that I appreciate.

Archived