Roll The Bones...

theredtamasrule

QUOTE (Steevo @ Sep 28 2009, 03:37 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 29 2009, 06:52 AM)
Hey, I like Anagram!

Its nowhere near as bad as people seem to think here. Give me Rush diversity any day as well.

Exactly. Presto is in my top half of albums.

It's also the first tour I ever saw them live.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Steevo @ Sep 28 2009, 02:37 PM)
Hey, I like Anagram!

Its nowhere near as bad as people seem to think here. Give me Rush diversity any day as well.

I'm also a fan of "Anagram." Too many times in the past, Neil's little stabs at clever wordplay have failed. Here he succeeds, in my opinion. I love playing the little anagram game, and there's at least a half-dozen lines that are very clever, like "image just an eyeless (i-less) game" and "cosmic is largely comic," to name a quick two.

QUOTE (Dax @ Sep 28 2009, 05:53 PM)
Dreamline, Bravado, and Ghost are all really brilliant songs. I think our world is a better place with RTB. smile.gif

Stick "Dreamline" on Presto, and I wouldn't miss Roll the Bones at all if it disappeared from the Earth. no.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 28 2009, 06:28 PM)
Hey, I like Anagram!

I'm also a fan of "Anagram." Too many times in the past, Neil's little stabs at clever wordplay have failed. Here he succeeds, in my opinion. I love playing the little anagram game, and there's at least a half-dozen lines that are very clever, like "image just an eyeless (i-less) game" and "cosmic is largely comic," to name a quick two.

Ahahha. I never got the 'eyeless game' one before =P

Anagram is one of my favourite songs too.

EDIT: I had to go look up the lyrics to that song then. I never got half of that song. My favourite is now 'He and she are in the house but there's only me at home'.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 29 2009, 06:49 PM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Sep 28 2009, 03:37 PM)
Hey, I like Anagram!

You're right, it's not as bad as people think. It's far worse.

biggrin.gif

I was waiting for that laugh.gif

QUOTE (KlanKaos @ Sep 29 2009, 01:40 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 28 2009, 06:28 PM)
Hey, I like Anagram!

Ahahha. I never got the 'eyeless game' one before =P

Anagram is one of my favourite songs too.

EDIT: I had to go look up the lyrics to that song then. I never got half of that song. My favourite is now 'He and she are in the house but there's only me at home'.

Neil's actually been called out on a mistake with that line. "HE" and "SHE" are both in the "HOUSE," but isn't "HE" also at "HOME" along with "ME"? Why does he say there is only "ME" at "HOME"? What happened to "HE"?

RTB is a great album with a few songs of filler.

The title track I say is a Rush masterpiece, only ruined by relentless overplaying it live I'd guess. It's one of my daughter's favorite Rush songs as well.

I even like "You Bet Your Life", hah.

I think the biggest drawback on RTB is the Rupert Hine 'lite FM' production. That, and the band was still using instruments that didn't produce in your face sound (Wal basses, Alex's choice of sound effects)

Thus making for a soft-sounding album.

I love the theme of the album and the upbeat lyrics. Sure, about half-way through the songs start to sound the same but I blame the production a little more than the songwriting.

Geddy even said right after the album was released that they wern't too happy that the power of some songs was lost in the production/mixing process. He knew right away.

Can you imagine RTB re-recorded with the CP sound? biggrin.gif

Aside from Dreamline, WMT is an awesome instrumental that should be brought back live

QUOTE (jnoble @ Oct 1 2009, 09:21 AM)
I think the biggest drawback on RTB is the Rupert Hine 'lite FM' production. That, and the band was still using instruments that didn't produce in your face sound (Wal basses, Alex's choice of sound effects)
Thus making for a soft-sounding album.

goodpost.gif

That's exactly it for me. Plus I thought the music and lyrics were average.

And average falls like lead to the bottom of my favorite albums list.

Archived