Contacting the band

Boof

Does anyone have any means of contacting the band?

I'm involved in a project and I'd like to acquire permission to use Alex's name (or a very close approximation thereof) but I can't actually get a hold of him to receive said permission.

Any help via PM will be most gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

Boof

Anthem Entertainment

189 Carlton Street

Toronto, Ontario

M5A 2K7

But as somebody said, you shouldn't need permission to print Alex's name.

I've emailed sro-anthem so I'll just have to wait and see what they say.

No, I'm not 'one of those freak fans'.

I'm simply wishing to ensure that my use of a close approximation to Alex's name (and people who know me would make the connection to Rush) would not cause any ill-feeling or embarrassment to any of the band members.

QUOTE (Boof @ Sep 25 2009, 02:37 PM)

I'm simply wishing to ensure that my use of a close approximation to Alex's name (and people who know me would make the connection to Rush) would not cause any ill-feeling or embarrassment to any of the band members.

close approximation?

what's the story?

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 25 2009, 05:20 PM)
QUOTE (Boof @ Sep 25 2009, 02:37 PM)

close approximation?

what's the story?

Yeah... are you creating a parody or something?

One time I named a pastry after Geddy (I'm a pastry chef). I tried to contact the band through management, and finally got hold of a receptionist at Anthem. When I asked for permission about using Geddy's name for the pastry, she literally laughed at me over the phone. I went ahead and sold "Geddys" at my bakery successfully, and have done so for years. They're very popular and I've never had any legal hassles for doing so.*

*There is absolutely nothing true about any of the above paragraph.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 25 2009, 11:20 PM)
close approximation?
what's the story?

Ach, what the hell - at the risk of opening myself up to embarrassment, here's the story.

Where I live - you can see by the location, i.e. on a rock in the middle of the North Sea - we have a bunch of fire festivals throughout the winter. It is claimed (by some) that they originated as a way of welcoming back the sun after a long winter, but in reality I think they just developed as a means of controlling the wilder excesses of rowdy behaviour from local citizens 100+years ago.

This Up Helly Aa should give a little more insight for those who can be ersed to look.

Anyhow...I digress (something I'm good at)...my community has just started up a new festival and I've been chosen as the head honcho. Traditionally, the head honcho leads a gang of folk in pseudo-Viking attire (actually a prettified Victorian ensemble...that's Victoria as in queen, not BC) through the day and night's activities.

In addition, and I'm finally getting somewhere near to the point, the head honcho gets to choose to represent a historical figure from Viking times. Sometimes the figure is a real person and the honcho will configure his outfit around parts of his life story.

Hmm, perhaps I should add that the Viking notion originates from our proximity to Scandinavia and the fact that our islands were once owned by Denmark. Then Scotland, now UK.

Anyway...this historical Viking dude...I think it's pretty much accepted that waaaaay before Columbus appeared on the scene Leif Eriksson was one of the first Europeans to make it to North America. I'd like to choose as my character someone who has some connection to Canada since I was born there and stayed until the age of 6 before heading east and Leif seems a good enough place to start.

So I checked to see what Leif had in the way of kids...one boy called Thorkell Leifsson (the Vikings, of course, using the patronymic naming system).

Given that there is a lot of poetic licence in the choosing of the historical figure I thought I could make one up who sounds vaguely realistic and 'be' him for the day.

And my choice would be Leif Eriksson's non-existent son Alexander Leifsson. I have a vague life story for him in my mind about him spending time in Europe and being renowned for his dazzling axe-work (or would that be too corny biggrin.gif ) and basically padding out the details with a lot of semi-believable made up hokum.

That's more or less it...I'm not some freak fan (not in my opinion anyway biggrin.gif) but my liking of Rush is well-enough known that many people would be able to make the connection between my made-up Viking name and the band...I just wanted to make sure that Alex or the band as a whole wouldn't be inconvenienced or compromised (or pissed off!!) by my doing so.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 26 2009, 02:41 AM)
One time I named a pastry after Geddy (I'm a pastry chef). I tried to contact the band through management, and finally got hold of a receptionist at Anthem. When I asked for permission about using Geddy's name for the pastry, she literally laughed at me over the phone. I went ahead and sold "Geddys" at my bakery successfully, and have done so for years. They're very popular and I've never had any legal hassles for doing so.*

Goobs - you totally had me and I was just about to demand to see a photo of one of these Geddys until I read the last bit!

angry.gif

QUOTE (Boof @ Sep 26 2009, 05:50 AM)
And my choice would be Leif Eriksson's non-existent son Alexander Leifsson. I have a vague life story for him in my mind about him spending time in Europe and being renowned for his dazzling axe-work (or would that be too corny biggrin.gif ) and basically padding out the details with a lot of semi-believable made up hokum.

This sounds very interesting indeed. A fun play on the name too. Now that we have context for this though I must say:

1 - There is so much legal rights crapola to be "allowed" to use and Alex-ish name like this. It will never happen in a million years for this or any other small project.

2 - Nobody from Rush or the label would even know or care if you used that name.

3 - Don't worry about permission on this, just do it and have a lot of fun.

trink39.gif

One time I named a pastry after Geddy (I'm a pastry chef).  I tried to contact the band through management, and finally got hold of a receptionist at Anthem.  When I asked for permission about using Geddy's name for the pastry, she literally laughed at me over the phone.  I went ahead and sold "Geddys" at my bakery successfully, and have done so for years.  They're very popular and I've never had any legal hassles for doing so.*

Bummer. I'd love to munch on some "Geddys" along with my morning coffee!

goober, you are nutz. laugh.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Sep 26 2009, 07:21 AM)
One time I named a pastry after Geddy (I'm a pastry chef).  I tried to contact the band through management, and finally got hold of a receptionist at Anthem.  When I asked for permission about using Geddy's name for the pastry, she literally laughed at me over the phone.  I went ahead and sold "Geddys" at my bakery successfully, and have done so for years.  They're very popular and I've never had any legal hassles for doing so.*

Goobs - you totally had me and I was just about to demand to see a photo of one of these Geddys until I read the last bit!

angry.gif

He had me as well. I was going to ask if he'd mail me a box of them. doh.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Sep 26 2009, 01:21 PM)

angry.gif

I actually wanted to eat one... if it is something you can eat, but if it's sold in a bakery...? rofl3.gif

@Boof: I guess you don't need permission for something like this. The name is similar, but those names exist... there's no problem if you create yourself a name like that. Although Alexander is a weird name for a Viking guy, but I can see it: wild blond hair and beard, helmet, sword... lol

QUOTE (TheWater @ Sep 26 2009, 03:43 PM)

@Boof: I guess you don't need permission for something like this. The name is similar, but those names exist... there's no problem if you create yourself a name like that. Although Alexander is a weird name for a Viking guy, but I can see it: wild blond hair and beard, helmet, sword... lol

Thanks for the feedback folks - I did have the idea just to go ahead with it regardless, but thought it would be considered more polite to receive permission.

As for Vikings named Alexander - yeah, not common (I can't find any laugh.gif ) but not totally inconceivable for such a well-travelled chap such as Leif to have met one or two on his voyages.

And the Geddys...yum yum biggrin.gif

QUOTE (TheWater @ Sep 26 2009, 07:43 AM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Sep 26 2009, 01:21 PM)

angry.gif

I actually wanted to eat one... if it is something you can eat, but if it's sold in a bakery...? rofl3.gif

It IS something you can eat, and they're DELICIOUS! yes.gif yes.gif no.gif yes.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

You got me!

QUOTE (Boof @ Sep 24 2009, 06:16 PM)

I usually stalk and follow them to their houses. Then I hide in the bushes and wait until night, then climb in through a window and surprise them in bed. Works every time!

P.S. Neil really likes it!!

QUOTE (Barchetta82 @ Sep 28 2009, 01:16 PM)
QUOTE (Boof @ Sep 24 2009, 06:16 PM)

I usually stalk and follow them to their houses. Then I hide in the bushes and wait until night, then climb in through a window and surprise them in bed. Works every time!

P.S. Neil really likes it!!

laugh.gif

Archived