Contacting the band

Boof

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 26 2009, 10:58 PM)
QUOTE (TheWater @ Sep 26 2009, 07:43 AM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Sep 26 2009, 01:21 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 26 2009, 02:41 AM)
One time I named a pastry after Geddy (I'm a pastry chef).  I tried to contact the band through management, and finally got hold of a receptionist at Anthem.  When I asked for permission about using Geddy's name for the pastry, she literally laughed at me over the phone.  I went ahead and sold "Geddys" at my bakery successfully, and have done so for years.  They're very popular and I've never had any legal hassles for doing so.*

Goobs - you totally had me and I was just about to demand to see a photo of one of these Geddys until I read the last bit!

angry.gif

I actually wanted to eat one... if it is something you can eat, but if it's sold in a bakery...? rofl3.gif

It IS something you can eat, and they're DELICIOUS! yes.gif yes.gif no.gif yes.gif

I was just to lazy to look up what "pastry" means. wink.gif

QUOTE (Barchetta82 @ Sep 28 2009, 10:16 AM)
I usually stalk and follow them to their houses. Then I hide in the bushes and wait until night, then climb in through a window and surprise them in bed. Works every time!

You too?! ohmy.gif

I thought I was the only one, but then again, sometimes I have heard weird sounds in the bushes next to me. unsure.gif

QUOTE (Barchetta82 @ Sep 28 2009, 10:16 AM)
P.S. Neil really likes it!!

He really does - he LOVES it! yes.gif

Update...just got an email from SRO/Anthem to the effect that they're okay for me to use the name Alexander Leifsson as long as it's for the purpose I've described.

Excellent!

I'll keep y'all updated.

Whoa, that's quite a beard you have there, Aleksandur! yes.gif

Love the story - looks like one hell of a fun time.

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 19 2010, 03:05 PM)
Whoa, that's quite a beard you have there, Aleksandur! yes.gif
Love the story - looks like one hell of a fun time.

The beard goes tomorrow biggrin.gif

Most of the hair as well.

But yeah - what a day and night we had. The burning of the galley was special - some great photos of that.

QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 26 2009, 07:19 AM)
Bummer.  I'd love to munch on some "Geddys" along with my morning coffee!

So would I! Oh.....sorry...wrong forum.... blush4.gif

Boof: Great story and pictures! You (or at least someone) actually built that galley and then burnt it down??

If I'm not mistaken,

Alex, himself, eluded to the fact that both he and John Rutsey were both Vikings, while Geddy, alas, was not.

This from the A Farewell to Kings tourbook.

Alex Lifeson

Before starting, I'd like to tell you it's not easy writing about oneself. However, I'll do my best not to bore you.

I was born in the thriving mountain fishing port of Fernie, British Columbia where many foreign looking gentlemen with large foreheads and thick accents kept their prairie schooners and U-boats moored. When I became old enough to walk, I learned how to walk. I knew even then, that I had to get to Toronto where I could meet someone into more than "Mary Had A Little Lamb". Later, I grew older.

After a brief stint at not learning how to play the viola, I decided to take up the guitar. That was just about ten years ago. It was around this time, that I met Geddy. Suddenly my life changed. I grew older.

John Rutsey, who was a viking then, Geddy, who wasn't a viking and myself formed the band as it isn't today to patrol war-torn areas of the Middle-East and to incur as many debts as possible. This we did with a passion.

Anyway, the rest isn't history but I'm sure you know what we've been doing since by what we've recorded. And if you do please tell me because I don't know and they only let me out on weekends and I hate that silly jacket with the long sleeves and they won't give me a sharpener for my crayons!

So, in a weird kind of way, the name is fitting.

QUOTE (lakeside bard @ Sep 26 2009, 06:29 AM)
"Brothers & their fathers holding hands & make a chain,the shadow of the Wicker Man,rising up again"

"You watch the world exploding every single night, dancing in the sun a newborn in the light"

Awesome song, but somewhat random. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Sep 26 2009, 07:33 AM)
QUOTE (Boof @ Sep 26 2009, 05:50 AM)
And my choice would be Leif Eriksson's non-existent son Alexander Leifsson. I have a vague life story for him in my mind about him spending time in Europe and being renowned for his dazzling axe-work (or would that be too corny biggrin.gif ) and basically padding out the details with a lot of semi-believable made up hokum.

This sounds very interesting indeed. A fun play on the name too. Now that we have context for this though I must say:

1 - There is so much legal rights crapola to be "allowed" to use and Alex-ish name like this. It will never happen in a million years for this or any other small project.

2 - Nobody from Rush or the label would even know or care if you used that name.

3 - Don't worry about permission on this, just do it and have a lot of fun.

trink39.gif

No, I see no legality issues here. None whatsoever -especially considering "Lifeson" is a psuedonym or 'nom de gruerre' -if you will.

"Lifeson," a much more marketable moniker, is a rough translation of Zinojinovich.

No, don't see how any problems could arise from spinning off of a pseudonym; but you're absolutley correct: It is polite to ask!

rofl3.gif

But yes, indeed, I do agree: "Just do it and have fun!"

No Worries!

Archived