New Alex Interview

The Owl

From RIAB http://www.rushisaband.com/display.php?id=1948

---------------------------------------------------------

Alex Lifeson: new Rush album, tour possible in 2010

Posted at 2:38PM | comments (6)

[Rush Might Return in 2010]

The one thing that every Rush fan has been wondering about since the band's 2008 tour came to a close last year is when the band will get to work on a new album. In his recent Prog interview Alex Lifeson addressed this topic:

... "Tentatively, we start work on the next album in the fall - I did mention it to Ged before he went away on holiday and he sort of looked the other way. Come September and we'll certainly have some plans, we did the last record, or we started on the last album in the fall and I'd like to do that again, start recording maybe. I don't know who might produce, that's some ways off yet." ...

While this bit of news got a lot of us excited, our excitement was tempered by Lerxst's use of the word tentatively along with the recent birth of Neil Peart's new baby. But Alex addressed the topic yet again and in more detail - including the baby issue - in a recent interview with NoiseCreep.com:

Rush fans take note -- the legendary progressive rock band could be back on the road with a new album in 2010. The trio would love to work again with Nick Raskulinecz, who co-produced the last studio album, 'Snakes & Arrows,' but he'll have to hang on a bit longer.

"I think Nick calls the office once a week," laughs guitarist Alex Lifeson, "just to make sure we're still planning on getting back to work at some point."

Lifeson, lead singer-bassist Geddy Lee and drummer/lyricist Neil Peart played 120 shows behind 'Snakes & Arrows' and "were pretty beat by the end of it," says Lifeson. "We'd been working constantly for the last eight years or so, and really needed a break, and decided to take a year off. We're sort of coming to the end of that period.

"Neil and his wife had a baby just a couple of weeks ago, so he's asked if we can just wait a little bit until he gets settled and see how he feels about getting back to work or when to get back to work. So we're sort of playing it open right now."

Lifeson says he's been doing a little writing at home in Toronto, "just getting myself back into the groove again with recording and stuff like that. I would guess that sometime in the early fall we would get back together and start writing again, and then hopefully by next summer, we'd be ready to tour."

This is very encouraging news to say the least. It's good to hear Alex address the possibility of a Summer 2010 tour along with the new album. It also seems very probable that Nick Raskulinecz will once again produce. The only fly in the ointment seems to be Neil Peart's understandable unwillingness to get back to work so soon after the birth of his child. Although despite this, Alex still seems to think they'll be getting into the studio in the early Fall - which would mean late September or October. Good news indeed. Thanks to James for the heads up.

--------------------------------------------------------------

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Granted I don't think they are going to be back by the end of September or Early October (or anytime within 2 months) but the possibility of them getting back in the studio MUCH MUCH sooner than I thought makes me so happy!

That is fantastic news!! I hope it's true. I would love to be able to see the guys next summer!

I'm thrilled to hear that Alex is ready to get back into the studio and that he has been doing some writing already. I hope Geddy shares the same excitement though! And knowing that Neil is open to the possibility of recording and tour so soon is great news too.

All in all, I'm a happy little fangirl.

It seems by Alex's comments that it is all down to when Neil's ready. Alex mentioned that Neil just needs time to settle down with his new child... but it also seems that Neil is in a sence anxious to get back to work...

I hope Neil puts out a news updated on his News Weather and Sports blog... He has undoubtly aware of these past 2 interviews with alex and the possibility of a new album.... I am anxious to hear something from Neil...

I'm wicked torn about this....on one hand:

WOO-HOO!! New material and a tour!!!!! 1022.gif common001.gif chickendance.gif trink39.gif

on the other hand....

I'M BUSTED! I can't even think about buying concert tickets - especially not front row, which I wanted enough time to set aside money for (just had a baby, we have no savings account lol), plus I just started a retail job - that makes it VERY difficult to ask for time off.

I'm sure you can see my dilemma sad.gif

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Sep 3 2009, 03:00 PM)

WOO-HOO!! New material and a tour!!!!! 1022.gif common001.gif chickendance.gif trink39.gif

on the other hand....

I'M BUSTED! I can't even think about buying concert tickets - especially not front row, which I wanted enough time to set aside money for (just had a baby, we have no savings account lol), plus I just started a retail job - that makes it VERY difficult to ask for time off.

lol I was thinking this too.

Upcomming wedding. If I don't move out with the Fi soon, it will happen in the spring when push comes to shove, causing me to take any old retail job.

You're working Walmart, yes? My mom gets time off if she asks in advance...

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 3 2009, 04:23 PM)
QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Sep 3 2009, 03:00 PM)

WOO-HOO!!  New material and a tour!!!!! 1022.gif common001.gif chickendance.gif trink39.gif

on the other hand....

I'M BUSTED!  I can't even think about buying concert tickets - especially not front row, which I wanted enough time to set aside money for (just had a baby, we have no savings account lol), plus I just started a retail job - that makes it VERY difficult to ask for time off.

lol I was thinking this too.

Upcomming wedding. If I don't move out with the Fi soon, it will happen in the spring when push comes to shove, causing me to take any old retail job.

You're working Walmart, yes? My mom gets time off if she asks in advance...

yup...i just worry cause when i worked at Guitar Center it was like pulling teeth to get time off

I can't see a new album and tour happening that quickly. I hope, but I also think Alex sometimes gets excited about someting and talks to quickly. Who knows, they are an unpredictable lot.

This is great news, but again I think Alex is talking about possibly him and Geddy getting together to write this fall. It would probably be a few months after that before the band would start recording, then a few months before they would tour. Even without Neil's situation, I'd be surprised if they could tour before very late in 2010.

Great news about Nick, though! This is the kind of brief mention I was hoping for, just to hear they're still talking to him. I hope they do work with him again and maybe even tackle double album or concept album as Nick was hinting at a while back. 1022.gif

If they DO tour again soon, I wonder if Neil would arrange to travel with his family? Kind of like Iron Maiden in Flight 666? Of course, Maiden was travelling with their teenage kids, not a baby. wink.gif

I think it was misreported as 2010. If they start working in October (hypothetically), there's no way an album will be ready this summer...they're not going to write and record an entire album in 5 or 6 months at the pace they work at these days.

I still predict 2011.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 4 2009, 02:44 PM)
I think it was misreported as 2010. If they start working in October (hypothetically), there's no way an album will be ready this summer...they're not going to write and record an entire album in 5 or 6 months at the pace they work at these days.

I still predict 2011.

I am with you on this as look how long it took the entire process to be completed for Snakes and Arrows - 2011 for me as well. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Sep 3 2009, 06:25 PM)

If they DO tour again soon, I wonder if Neil would arrange to travel with his family? Kind of like Iron Maiden in Flight 666? Of course, Maiden was travelling with their teenage kids, not a baby. wink.gif

Not a chance. The ONLY part of touring that Neil enjoys is when he's on two wheels. I could see him flying the family in for a day or 2 here & there, but to have them travel with the band for an extended period of time just isn't going to happen.

Again, regardless of what perpetually overly optimistic Alex says, there's no way that they'll be ready to tour before 2011.

QUOTE (different strings @ Sep 4 2009, 05:11 AM)

I still predict 2011.

I am with you on this as look how long it took the entire process to be completed for Snakes and Arrows - 2011 for me as well. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I concur. Maybe they will start writing in the fall but to think they will write, record and then tour in less than a year is too much.

Neil's got the new baby, who knows what his "settling in" time frame is, as well as Ged turning his head AWAY when Alex talked to him about a new album

QUOTE (different strings @ Sep 4 2009, 05:11 AM)

I still predict 2011.

After I thought about it for a minute I thought the dates weren't adding up either. They can't be ready for a tour in one year. Maybe spring of 2011 at the earliest??

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 3 2009, 03:17 PM)
Tentatively, we start work on the next album in the fall - I did mention it to Ged before he went away on holiday and he sort of looked the other way.

Encouraging news for sure, definitely sounds like Alex is chomping at the bit to get rocking, not so sure about the other two guys though.

Both these interviews are funny in that he dangles some really positive info in front of us and than finishes the sentence off with something discouraging.

He could have thrown these in too and they would have matched the theme.

"I've already looked into booking studio time at some of our favorite locations for October, when i mentioned this to Neil he said to chill the f**k out and give him another 6 months first to see whether he wants a new album"

"I've already started writing some foundation material for the new album at my house, a couple weeks ago when Geddy came over I was letting him listen to some of it so we could discuss and get the creativity going. Geddy said he had to step outside for a smoke and that's the last time I ever saw him!"

z7shysterical.gif

Archived