District 9

vital signz

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I honestly can't remember the last time I was so focused on what was going happening in a film! The suspense in D-9 was insane, and I was on the edge of my seat for a majority of the film. The detail on the aliens was phenomenal, especially facial expressions.

SPOILERS BELOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also really liked the partnership between "Christopher" and Vickers. Even though the prawn was CGI, their friendship felt so real.

I saw it yesterday and liked it quite a bit. It was definitely set up for "District 10" which I will see when it comes out.

I don't like movies that focus entirely on the evils of humanity without showing the other side. In the end, I thought that the movie did a great job.

i saw it last night and i do not recommend it.

S P O I L E R S

i hated the bad documentary style begining, it was almost like it was supposed to be funny! the aliens were ridiculous, too! i mean what the f**k kind of alien name is CHRISTOPHER JOHNSON?!

gimme a break!!

SKIP THIS MOVIE, IMO.

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Aug 27 2009, 01:45 AM)

S P O I L E R S

i hated the bad documentary style begining, it was almost like it was supposed to be funny! the aliens were ridiculous, too! i mean what the f**k kind of alien name is CHRISTOPHER JOHNSON?!

gimme a break!!

SKIP THIS MOVIE, IMO.

I agree. I saw this last night too. Did not like one bit of it. Particularly the opening which almost made it look like a mockumentary as opposed to the documentary-style they were going for.

Not recommended.

QUOTE (bigman208 @ Aug 27 2009, 08:55 AM)

S P O I L E R S

gimme a break!!

SKIP THIS MOVIE, IMO.

I agree. I saw this last night too. Did not like one bit of it. Particularly the opening which almost made it look like a mockumentary as opposed to the documentary-style they were going for.

Not recommended.

You guys obviously didn't get it.

Hint: When you go to a sci-fi movie, you're supposed to suspend reality for about 90 minutes or so.

4 out of 5 stars.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Aug 27 2009, 10:08 AM)

S P O I L E R S

gimme a break!!

SKIP THIS MOVIE, IMO.

Not recommended.

Hint: When you go to a sci-fi movie, you're supposed to suspend reality for about 90 minutes or so.

4 out of 5 stars.

Suspending disbelief does not mean swallowing whatever is put in front of you regardless of whether it's crap or filet mignon.

No, I haven't seen the movie but I think that suspension of disbelief should have limits.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 27 2009, 09:26 AM)

S P O I L E R S

gimme a break!!

SKIP THIS MOVIE, IMO.

Not recommended.

4 out of 5 stars.

Suspending disbelief does not mean swallowing whatever is put in front of you regardless of whether it's crap or filet mignon.

No, I haven't seen the movie but I think that suspension of disbelief should have limits.

Okay..........

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Aug 27 2009, 10:33 AM)

S P O I L E R S

gimme a break!!

SKIP THIS MOVIE, IMO.

Not recommended.

4 out of 5 stars.

Okay..........

Well, you know, I'm just sayin'. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 27 2009, 02:18 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Aug 27 2009, 10:33 AM)

S P O I L E R S

gimme a break!!

SKIP THIS MOVIE, IMO.

Not recommended.

4 out of 5 stars.

Okay..........

Well, you know, I'm just sayin'. laugh.gif

rofl3.gif

The prawns were given names like Christopher Johnson so they could be easily identified, similar to those in prisoner camps during the holocaust being given numbers. The movie was a big allegory for how bad racism is, and that seemed to go right over some peoples heads.

QUOTE (vital signz @ Aug 22 2009, 09:12 AM)
Caught it yesterday....One of the most interesting directions in filmmaking I have ever seen....

Would love to hear opinions....

Concur - This movie was very unique, Peter's little disciple director did a fine job - In this age of CGI blockbusters only Jackson's touch has given CGI the all important emotional connection - trink39.gif

QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Aug 22 2009, 09:46 AM)
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I honestly can't remember the last time I was so focused on what was going happening in a film! The suspense in D-9 was insane, and I was on the edge of my seat for a majority of the film. The detail on the aliens was phenomenal, especially facial expressions.

SPOILERS BELOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also really liked the partnership between "Christopher" and Vickers. Even though the prawn was CGI, their friendship felt so real.

I feel the same way you do about this. I really liked this Movie. Me and My boyfriend went to the Drive we have 's Parts. Both where Really good.

Spoiler - for those who haven't seen it.

You guys noticed the numbers at the end of the movie? So the population of the Prawns turned to 2.4 million by District 10 (we are not told how much time has passed).

Christopher promised he'd be back in 3 years. The Prawns first settled 10 years ago at 1 million of them?

Methinks Christoper never came back...

Just got home from seeing this.

Pretty decent movie. Unique plot and found it interesting that the setting is in South Africa(A predominately black nation) ..this movie wouldn't have worked if it was set in the US for example.

Yes the racism angle was there but also noticed many other social commentary throughout the movie...terrorism, poverty, holocaust, media, cults, etc...

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 8 2009, 04:49 PM)
Just got home from seeing this.

Pretty decent movie. Unique plot and found it interesting that the setting is in South Africa(A predominately black nation) ..this movie wouldn't have worked if it was set in the US for example.

Yes the racism angle was there but also noticed many other social commentary throughout the movie...terrorism, poverty, holocaust, media, cults, etc...

Takes a big shot at big business and money too, as well as Africa's underground economy.

Impressed with the story.

Impressed with the concept.

Impressed with the uniqueness.

Relatively impressed with most of the characters.

Not so impressed with the script and dialogue, more the latter, overall.

Kind of killed the film for me. Made it feel more like a Michael Bay film in that respect.

So D9 is certainly not the best sci-fi I've ever seen. In the top ten? Maybe.

I wouldn't call it remarkable, maybe "memorable", but it's not something I'd go back and watch over and over because I loved it. But maybe it's just me. Everyone else seemed to have adored it.