Have You Ever Seen A Rush Tribute Band?

tangy

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Aug 18 2009, 04:16 PM)
"LIMELIGHT", a TRUE 3-Piece RUSH TRIBUTE BAND will be performing at WET WILLIE'S on EAST BAY STREET, tonight! 10:00PM.
Do not miss an opportunity to hear such classics as TOM SAWYER, LIMELIGHT, SUBDIVISONS and XANADU!
Incredible Light Show, 3 full sets, and only a $3.00 cover!

Wet Willie's has THE best Frozen Drinks, in a PERFECT SETTING! Come to Wet Willie's for LIMELIGHT!

*edited to add that they already performed on August 15th LOL*

Well.......that was pretty worthless information. sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Aug 18 2009, 03:16 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 18 2009, 03:56 PM)
I truly would like to see a Rush tribute band. Back in the eighties, there was a Pink Floyd tribute band called Clear Light. I saw them three times and they were fantastic.

After much searching I have found one....no idea if they're any good though...

http://charleston.craigslist.org/muc/1324453671.html

"LIMELIGHT", a TRUE 3-Piece RUSH TRIBUTE BAND will be performing at WET WILLIE'S on EAST BAY STREET, tonight! 10:00PM.
Do not miss an opportunity to hear such classics as TOM SAWYER, LIMELIGHT, SUBDIVISONS and XANADU!

Wet Willie's has THE best Frozen Drinks, in a PERFECT SETTING! Come to Wet Willie's for LIMELIGHT!

and they have a myspace page without their own music too:

http://www.myspace.com/limelightcharleston

Regardless, I appreciate your effort very much! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 18 2009, 04:31 PM)
QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Aug 18 2009, 04:16 PM)

Well.......that was pretty worthless information. sarcasm.gif

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 18 2009, 04:37 PM)
QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Aug 18 2009, 03:16 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 18 2009, 03:56 PM)
I truly would like to see a Rush tribute band. Back in the eighties, there was a Pink Floyd tribute band called Clear Light. I saw them three times and they were fantastic.

After much searching I have found one....no idea if they're any good though...

http://charleston.craigslist.org/muc/1324453671.html

and they have a myspace page without their own music too:

http://www.myspace.com/limelightcharleston

Regardless, I appreciate your effort very much! trink39.gif

no problem, Jack smile.gif I'm pretty good at finding useless information on the internet LOL

I enjoy Tribute shows...it definitely can get a little hoaky when they try to act too much like the band, but it's still a fun time.

I have seen 3 Rush tribute bands:

Visions

Caress of STeel

Moving Pictures

All out of Los Angeles. I remember being pretty impressed with Caress of Steel especially. They did a Great job...

Usually a bar or club will have 2-3 tribute bands on a weekend and you can make a night of it. I remember seeing Caress of Steel a long time ago at The Whiskey a Go Go....they came on before The Atomic Punks, which was a pretty spot on David Lee Roth era Van Halen cover band. Yeah, I got wasted and had a blast! trink38.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 18 2009, 08:28 PM)
its been a strange day here on TRF....

just today a new member posted here looking for rush tribute band members in the making modern music section.

good luck to him and its a small world after all..........

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=49988

laugh.gif tangy, that's my brother smile.gif but yeah, pretty funny, eh?

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Aug 18 2009, 07:32 PM)

just today a new member posted here looking for rush tribute band members in the making modern music section.

too funny! small world indeed and the best of luck to them. trink39.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 18 2009, 08:33 PM)
QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Aug 18 2009, 07:32 PM)

too funny! small world indeed and the best of luck to them. trink39.gif

I hope all goes well - I can't wait to see them perform - I know how good my brother is, and his drummer used to be my drummer about 13 years ago - who also played in a very good Rush Tribute Band called Moving Pictures that was based out of Southern NH/Northern MA.

QUOTE (babadaboom @ Aug 18 2009, 10:11 PM)
NeilFinal.gif Saw Anthem in Dallas (4 guys - pretty good Geedy) one time. Also saw Natural Science in Tokyo, Japan (3 guys - very good even with a "Japanenglish" Geddy) twice and will see them again in October.

My old band name was Anthem. It was service marked for protection. It since ran out as we disbanded about 15 years ago. Fun while it lasted. The entire year! Bass player/singer got a swelled ego, guitarist decided to go New Age, drummer pulled hair out & is now bald...

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Aug 19 2009, 12:14 PM)
QUOTE (babadaboom @ Aug 18 2009, 10:11 PM)
NeilFinal.gif Saw Anthem in Dallas (4 guys - pretty good Geedy) one time.  Also saw Natural Science in Tokyo, Japan (3 guys - very good even with a "Japanenglish" Geddy) twice and will see them again in October.

My old band name was Anthem. It was service marked for protection. It since ran out as we disbanded about 15 years ago. Fun while it lasted. The entire year! Bass player/singer got a swelled ego, guitarist decided to go New Age, drummer pulled hair out & is now bald...

I got a good idea who was the drummer. laugh.gif

Nick will tell you that the only real Rush tribute band is Bravado laugh.gif

I've seen many and played in one myself (Limbo and Vapor Trails from NJ on that outdated list are/were the same band. We haven't played in almost two years for a number of different reasons)

I think Power Windows is the overall best one I've seen. They broke up a long time ago to do other things, but still get together to do the occassinal one off gig. And on stage, they do have fun and play with gusto. The singer/bassist Joe does a good job with an extremely hard vocal range to cover and doesn't strain or crack or sound like he's trying too hard to sound just like Geddy Lee instead of sounding more natural which is my biggest problem with most Rush cover bands.

I saw 2112 (the one based out of NY) four or five years ago at the Hard Rock in NYC along with a Queen and U2 cover band. They were good too but played a short set.

I'll echo what some others have said, I don't like the bands where the bassist tries to dress up and act like Geddy Lee. It always looks cheesy and takes away from the performance. Also, they have to play with enthusiasm and energy and look like they're having fun. Just don't stand there in one place looking down trying to play things note for note, make the songs your own and have some fun. You don't have to exactly replicate the songs like we're listening to the originals.

Edited by jnoble

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 18 2009, 12:17 PM)
Well who amongst us has actually seen a rush tribute band?

please spare us all the lame attempt at humor by saying dream theater.

I for one have never seen one but really I never had to the chance to do so. I do know there several rush cover groups out there.

Have you seen a rush tribute band, who were they and were they good?

Hell, I was in one! We called ourselves Triple Threat. We weren't that great but that's because I was the drummer. wacko.gif I had my moments but Neil I was not. cool10.gif

The bass player/singer and guitar player were actually very good. yes.gif

Many bands on that huge list are no longer active.

I'm in Exit Stage Right from Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN.

We look more like Gov't Mule than Rush, so we just concentrate on the music.

Here's a couple video clips, although they aren't the greatest quality:

La Villa Strangiato

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlqKpOBzhGU

YYZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc_aXB5b2sc

some demo clips here:

http://www.myspace.com/tribute2rush

http://www.facebook.com/tributetorush

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Aug 19 2009, 01:14 PM)
drummer pulled hair out & is now bald...

Whatever happened to that guy? He sounds like a dick. wink.gif I think I saw him at a party wearing a funny tiara. If only I had a picture of that....

I was trying to form one here in PA about this time last year. I came across a guitarist that is a fanatic too, and I was thinking about asking my current drummer (who loves Rush) to handle the skins. It didnt go anywhere mostly because of a singer. To me, thats the hardest part of trying to be a Rush tribute, the vocals. If you try to sound like Geddy, it just makes me wince.

I am in a classic rock cover band now and we do 2 Rush songs, and my guitarist handles the vocals. He isnt trying to sound just like Geddy but he does sing up high, and it actually works pretty well. I would love to start one up and if I leave this band at any point, I am going to try to really get one going.

I saw "Power Windows" at a small bar/club on Long Island called "February's" (I think it's gone).

Oddly enough, when we showed up, it turns out that Dream Theatre was warming up for a national tour and was opening up for Power Windows.

I guess they're always second to Rush (real Rush or not).