Les Paul Or Michael Jackson

Earthshine

Who changed music more?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who changed music more?

• Les Paul
    • Michael Jackson
    • They both did equally in different ways

Okay, so Les Paul is gone. A great man who started so much that we take for granted in everyday music listening; recording techniques, multi-tracking and of course the guitar!

And we also lost Michael Jackson who did a lot. Danced, sang, made videos, we all know about him.

But how many kids today know who Les Paul was? Or care? How sad it is that we live in a short-attention span world where the whole world stops for a pop-icon and a true artist, innovator and inventor barely gets 5 minutes on the news? And who gets mentioned with him? Slash! Go figure!

I think you sell MJ short by just referring to him as a "pop icon."

That said, I voted for Les Paul. Not even close. Dude invented the electric guitar. My life and all of ours and everybody's life in western civilization over the last 60+ years would be drastically different if not for this invention.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Aug 14 2009, 09:22 AM)
I think you sell MJ short by just referring to him as a "pop icon."

That said, I voted for Les Paul. Not even close. Dude invented the electric guitar. My life and all of ours and everybody's life in western civilization over the last 60+ years would be drastically different if not for this invention.

Actually, Adolph Rickenbacker invented the first electric guitar in the 1930's. Les Paul invented the first SOLID-BODY electric guitar in 1939 when he built his guitar called "The Log".

I think both Les Paul and Jackson had a big impact on music. Les Paul was important to rock music for inventing the solid body guitar, and Jackson had a big influence on pop music for his video clips, dancing and singing style and production (done by Quincy Jones).

On music production, and recording LP.

On pop culture, MJ.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Aug 14 2009, 05:59 AM)
I find it odd that both Billy Mays and Jackson have gotten more attention on here regarding their deaths than Les Paul.

Not odd at all, it's a media thing:

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who comes on at five

She can tell you bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye

Its interesting when people die

Give us dirty laundry

Can we film the operation? Is the head dead yet?

You know, the boys in the newsroom got a running bet

Get the widow on the set!

We need dirty laundry

Dirty little secrets, dirty little lies

We got our dirty little fingers in everybodys pie

We love to cut you down to size

We love dirty laundry

We can do the innuendo, we can dance and sing

When its said and done we havent told you a thing

We all know that crap is king

Give us dirty laundry!

Kick em when they're up

Kick em when they're down

Kick em when they're stiff

Kick em all around

Great lyrics by Don Henley. After I heard "Dirty Laundry" I started looking at the media in a whole new way.

are you kidding me? that's an absolute no-brainer. Without Les, we wouldn't have an electrified solid-body guitar or multi-track recording...I'm sorry, but while MJ was a great entertainer - there is NO WAY his musical contributions could even be considered to be as great as Les Pauls contribution to the musical world.

Les Paul

Almost everyone uses electric guitars, almost everyone uses a Gibson Les Paul. Not to mention multitracking and overdubs.

Michael Jackson is just one more artist who spans one or more genre, no matter how influential within that sphere.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 14 2009, 03:12 PM)
I find fascination with music of the past to be a very odd thing. Neither can hold a candle to guys like Dime and Kerry King!

Dime's dead too, get out of the past RR with your Dime obsession, he's dead let him rest and move on with your musical life!!

1287.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 14 2009, 04:14 PM)
I find fascination with music of the past to be a very odd thing.  Neither can hold a candle to guys like Dime and Kerry King!

Dime's dead too, get out of the past RR with your Dime obsession, he's dead let him rest and move on with your musical life!!

1287.gif

I really don't know what the hell I'm talking about! laugh.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 14 2009, 03:15 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 14 2009, 04:14 PM)
I find fascination with music of the past to be a very odd thing.  Neither can hold a candle to guys like Dime and Kerry King!

1287.gif

I really don't know what the hell I'm talking about! laugh.gif

yes.gif bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 14 2009, 11:15 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 14 2009, 04:35 PM)
really the the question should be and this may be worthy of its own poll-

Les Paul or Bob Moog?

Thats an excellent discussion. And my vote would be Moog.

Same here.

Oh goody, another thread boo-hooing the fact that Michael Jackson's death got more attention than Les Paul's.

Do you realize that any comparison between the two of them is inappropriate? Yes, Les did some performing, but not very much in the grand scheme of things. What you're praising Les for is his INVENTIONS.

Is it sad that we devote more emotional energy to high-profile celebrities than inventors? Maybe. Is it wrong that Marilyn Monroe's death got more attention than Thomas Edison's??? Personally, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. Who gives a crap! That's the way it is in this country, and it's no big deal. When they die, Kenny Rogers (I intentionally chose a lame celebrity) will get more attention than the man who invented the artificial heart. Are all of you going to bitch about that, too?

(FWIW, because I know how things get mis-interpreted and/or "spun" on this board: I'm not belittling Les Paul. He was brilliant and we all owe him a debt, because his inventions revolutionized music. But he was an INVENTOR, not a superstar celebrity in front of the cameras. In this country, good or bad, we give more attention to the latter.)

Archived