Tool Fans Unite!

QUOTE (silver @ Jun 17 2010, 06:33 PM)
I went on a Tool forum and was looking for past set lists.  The reviews of the last tour are not good.  They basically said Tool hasn't changed the set list since 2007.  From last year some posted that Maynard was screwing up lyrics and a who gives a shit attitude.  I hope that this has changed and they bring their A game as they are here in less than a month.

Signed,

The man with the overpriced minvan.

sad.gif

Edited by Steevo

Today was a good day. Stumbled upon an add on Kijiji and someone was dumping section 136 row 15 for the upcoming Tool show here for 125 a ticket. I had two pairs of tickets in sections 114 and 116 which are at the back corner. Section 136 is the section next to the stage. I thought I was going to have to pay a huge amount to move up to this section.

Basically 200 a ticket. So I meet the person with the tickets and hand the moolah over and they don't count it. I tell them that they should. The girl goes they aren't my tickets. I find out that she is Ethan Moreau's assistant . NHL player for the Edmonton Oilers and he has been traded so he is dumping his tickets. She wouldn't tell me who he was dealt for but thanks Ethan for the prime time tickets you plugger. Don't let the door hit you on the way out of Edmonton.

Went downtown as Tool has a day off before the Edmonton show tomorrow. I saw Justin Chancellor walking around but it didn't kick in until I looked at some pics online of him. Saw Maynard walking back to the hotel with his girlfriend/ wife and bodyguard. I asked for an autograph and he mumbled something and his bodyguard basically stood in the way. So much for Maynard professing to the media and everyone that he has turned over a new leaf in atTITude. Talk about Odipus complex and shoveling more bullshit for the media to choke and swallow.

I met him in Vancouver when he was on Perfect Circles first cd tour. My buddy who was a Tool fan had some cds and pictures for Maynard to sign. Maynard came up to him and said " If you would have had a Perfect Circle cd cover I would have signed all your stuff " He proceeded to sign one thing for him. PC came here about 3 years ago and after the show the rest of the band was behind the venue signing autographs and mingling with the fans. Maynard struts out the back of the venue and walks right by everyone. I asked him if he would sign at that time and he didn't even acknowledge me and just kept walking.

I notice how little things really change , other then that he mumbled something to me as he was walking away rather then basically ignoring me. This tour isn't even for a new release cd. I know that Maynard and his partner in his vinyard had some bad weather hit it so basically I figure this is a tour to help him inject into the vinyard itself. What an ass man. He reminded me of a mini me version of Vin Diesel. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (silver @ Jun 16 2010, 11:33 PM)
I went on a Tool forum and was looking for past set lists. The reviews of the last tour are not good. They basically said Tool hasn't changed the set list since 2007. From last year some posted that Maynard was screwing up lyrics and a who gives a shit attitude. I hope that this has changed and they bring their A game as they are here in less than a month.

Signed,

The man with the overpriced minvan.

Nice!

The overpriced minivan runs just fine.

My buddy and I are looking forward to TOOL. It's coming up soon.

Paul McCartney is on Saturday and I have a broken foot.

I will hop like the fukkin' Easter Bunny if I have to to see Sir Paul and then TOOL.

Four more Rush shows to "boot" too. Get it?

Signed,

"Silver 11" tongue.gif

I heard that they have a stuffed life sized doll put behind the drapes at the show and blow a fan at it and it doubles as Maynard OR they could just hire Vin Diesel to tie shoes to his knees instead. Vin's career is in the shitter so he needs the work.

I can't believe I missed this thread.

Tool is my number 1 favorite band of all times. I don't think I can only pick one song as my absolute favorite.

Part of Me, Forty Six & 2, Swamp song, Prison sex, H, Parabol, Right in Two, Ticks & Leeches, and Opiate are amongst my favorites. Yes I have to say pick just one is an impossibility for me.

If I had to pick a music hero I would choose Maynard. I admire him more than anyone musically speaking.

I like the stuff from 10,000 days. I listened to it quite a bit on vacation last week while riding on atvs. Great music for a journey. Insane drumming and composition. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Edited by the masked drummer

Tool is one of my favorite bands! and I cannot wait for their next CD to come out! my top 3 CDs by them are Aenima, Lateralus, and 10k Days. and my favorite track off each one is:

Opiate: either Opiate or Jerk-off

Undertow: ether prison sex or disgustipated

Aenima: Eulogy

Lateralus: The Grudge or Ticks & Leeches

10,000 Days: Rosetta Stoned

This is might be kind of late, but on the first show of the current tour they finally played Third Eye. For the first time in 8 years it finally appears!

It was the Timothy Leary audio intro and not the Bill Hicks monologue from the album. Both geniuses in the own right.

Hope it stays in the setlist for the next tour behind the new album in 2011-12 or whenever that happens.

After hearing people rave about Tool for years on TRF, I recently obtained Lateralus for $1 at a yard sale. I put it on, got a couple of minutes into the Grudge and turned it off.

A few days later I tried again, this time got about 4 minutes into The Grude and turned it off. I looked it up a bit on line and found out Schism was supposed to be great, so I tried that and got about 3 minutes into it before I had to turn it off.

Sorry, I tried, but it's too aggressive and metal for me these days. I can love some really heavy stuff and some real screaming guitars and stuff, but this kind of metal I can't handle anymore. I know for many people this stuff probably isn't even that heavy as it goes... eh.gif

TOOL has always been an incredibly forwarding looking band...And, I certainly was that boy wearing Vans, 501s, and a dope Beastie T....I'm OGT, from '92, back from the first EP...I was there to embrace it from the start, when jokers were still Glammin' it up...I remember a joker friend of mine asking whether the band was a group of 'short hairs'...We had just recently got out of H.S. and dudes were singling out bands by whether they still had the long hair, or if they had gone and chopped it.

This band, like Rush, are amongst a very small class of Proggers who have been able to get their not-so-accessible stuff across to the masses...Ya ever wonder why only a few of them have? Besides being a hugely intellectual-leaning outfit, the band also possesses a ridiculous knack for writing memorable melody lines that just stick with the public...

Yet, the instrumenal parts are built on some way advanced musical ideas...I remember watching an interview with Fred Durt back in the day, when that sucktard was on the top of the world...He was talking about his own backing band and how great the players were in his unit...But, I'll always remember his reaction when asked about what he thought about Tool...He got all serious-like and said, "There's something wrong with them...I'm actually afraid of them...They're almost too good...It's like they're not human."...

I knew precisely what he was talking about...SO, WHEN THE F do we get another one...The only thing that has sucked about this band is how infrequently they get into the studio....Only FOUR full-lengths is rather ridiculous in the nearly twenty years that they've been together...These guys should have at least two more titles in their catalog by now.

WHEN IS #5?

They are touring so another one is probably in the works. I can't wait. and More APC too. I hope it sounds nothing like Emotive. I really hated that album.. But, some songs were good. But, yeah I wish they would not keep us Waiting so freaking long!! Edited by Victoria's Ladder

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 19 2010, 08:31 AM)
After hearing people rave about Tool for years on TRF, I recently obtained Lateralus for $1 at a yard sale. I put it on, got a couple of minutes into the Grudge and turned it off.

A few days later I tried again, this time got about 4 minutes into The Grude and turned it off. I looked it up a bit on line and found out Schism was supposed to be great, so I tried that and got about 3 minutes into it before I had to turn it off.

Sorry, I tried, but it's too aggressive and metal for me these days. I can love some really heavy stuff and some real screaming guitars and stuff, but this kind of metal I can't handle anymore. I know for many people this stuff probably isn't even that heavy as it goes... eh.gif

Yeah, it's okay. People have different taste. 10,000 days might be more up your ally way. It's more long and proggy.. Not as much yelling.

QUOTE (Victoria's Ladder @ Sep 19 2010, 11:39 AM)
They are touring so another one is probably in the works. I can't wait. and More APC too. I hope it sounds nothing like Emotive. I really hated that album.. But, some songs were good. But, yeah I wish would keep us Waiting so freaking long!!

I wouldn't have been so opposed to 'Emotive' if they would have just issued the dang set as a 'bonus disc', included with all subsequent pressings of 'Thirteenth Step', instead of tryin' to make it its own independent thing...There was only one original songincluded in the whole dang collection, and I don't think that the majority of the 'covers' were strong enough to warrant an entirely seperate release...

It should have been tossed in as a 'freebee' for their fans who wanted to be a 'deluxe' edition of 'TS'. But, the techno arrangements of the tunes were a good harbinger of what was to come on the Puscifer release. Do you have any favourites amongst the covers? Any one that you think is worth listening to at all? lol.

favorite band next to Rush. These guys grew up on Rush and the rhythm section is the closest you can get to a cool Rush rhythms from another band. You get badass Wal bass and a godly Octopus shivan god on drums that make a solid groove. Danny admits he grew up on Hemispheres and Cygnus X1. Just wish they would get into the studio more often.

QUOTE (BytorX1 @ Sep 28 2010, 04:58 PM)
favorite band next to Rush. These guys grew up on Rush and the rhythm section is the closest you can get to a cool Rush rhythms from another band. You get badass Wal bass and a godly Octopus shivan god on drums that make a solid groove. Danny admits he grew up on Hemispheres and Cygnus X1. Just wish they would get into the studio more often.

You know its good to finally hear a comparison. I've been saying this for ages but whenever I mention Rush in the same breath to Tool fans its met with "don't really know them"... huh.gif b_sigh.gif

So I've NEVER read Danny mention Rush once, it's often Bonham or King Crimson. Another huge similarity is the approach to guitar of Adam and Alex "serving the song" instead of stepping out in the typical lead stylings. Definitely two of my fave players (not to mention Danny and Neil as well) trink39.gif

QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 19 2010, 02:18 PM)
QUOTE (Victoria's Ladder @ Sep 19 2010, 11:39 AM)
They are touring so another one is probably in the works. I can't wait. and More APC too. I hope it sounds nothing like Emotive. I really hated that album.. But, some songs were good. But, yeah I wish would keep us Waiting so freaking long!!

I wouldn't have been so opposed to 'Emotive' if they would have just issued the dang set as a 'bonus disc', included with all subsequent pressings of 'Thirteenth Step', instead of tryin' to make it its own independent thing...There was only one original songincluded in the whole dang collection, and I don't think that the majority of the 'covers' were strong enough to warrant an entirely seperate release...

It should have been tossed in as a 'freebee' for their fans who wanted to be a 'deluxe' edition of 'TS'. But, the techno arrangements of the tunes were a good harbinger of what was to come on the Puscifer release. Do you have any favourites amongst the covers? Any one that you think is worth listening to at all? lol.

That album was made so they could end their 3 album contract with EMI. At that time Maynard was finished with APC and wanted out. No easier way then an album of covers.